A license plate of NULL

Simon Slavin-3
Some interesting things are emerging from this year's DEF CON.  This one is related to an issue we've often discussed here.  I hope you'll indulge this slightly off-charter post.

<https://www.iheart.com/content/2019-08-12-clever-vanity-license-plate-backfires-on-man-winds-up-with-tons-of-tickets/>

"  Droogie decided to buy a vanity California license plate that simply said "NULL," [...]

Apparently, when they didn't have the right data for a vehicle, a privately operated citation processing center used the word NULL in the license plate field for many tickets. Since that just happens to be Droogie's license plate, he got all of them. "

Most people reading this will notice the error in simplification.  But it still indicates that the DMV needs to review its programming.

Re: A license plate of NULL

Jay Kreibich

There are similar stories from many years back about someone that got the vanity plate “MISSING”.

 -j