Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

Simon Slavin-3
Dear list-posters,

Are you getting a new dating-spam each time you post to this list ?  If you are, please post a brief follow-up to this message.  Please do /not/ include any details about the spam, its headers, or the person it's apparently from.  Just a "me too" until I say I have seen enough responses.

I'm trying to work out if I personally am being targeted or whether it's being sent to everyone who posts here.

Simon.
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

J Decker
march 26, apr 7 I found one each day in 'spam'

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 2:39 PM, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear list-posters,
>
> Are you getting a new dating-spam each time you post to this list ?  If
> you are, please post a brief follow-up to this message.  Please do /not/
> include any details about the spam, its headers, or the person it's
> apparently from.  Just a "me too" until I say I have seen enough responses.
>
> I'm trying to work out if I personally am being targeted or whether it's
> being sent to everyone who posts here.
>
> Simon.
> _______________________________________________
> sqlite-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
>
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

Warren Young
In reply to this post by Simon Slavin-3
On Apr 17, 2018, at 3:39 PM, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Are you getting a new dating-spam each time you post to this list ?  If you are, please post a brief follow-up to this message.

Yes.  My recent reply to the header corruption thread triggered one.

This is not new: some spammer subscribes to the mailing list and responds for each new post.  It’s difficult to cope with because the messages usually go out with a different source email than the one subscribed to the mailing list.

_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

J Decker
having replied in this thread I got one.
(can the real simon slavin please stand up?)

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 3:00 PM, Warren Young <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2018, at 3:39 PM, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Are you getting a new dating-spam each time you post to this list ?  If
> you are, please post a brief follow-up to this message.
>
> Yes.  My recent reply to the header corruption thread triggered one.
>
> This is not new: some spammer subscribes to the mailing list and responds
> for each new post.  It’s difficult to cope with because the messages
> usually go out with a different source email than the one subscribed to the
> mailing list.
>
> _______________________________________________
> sqlite-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
>
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

Simon Slavin-3
In reply to this post by Warren Young
On 17 Apr 2018, at 11:00pm, Warren Young <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes.  My recent reply to the header corruption thread triggered one.

I got a couple of direct email replies too, with enough information for me to isolate the offending mail server.

Okay, that's enough.  Thanks for the help, everyone.

Can the list admins please take appropriate action ?  If you need headers from a message to someone else, email me and I'll send you a raw copy of one of the spam messages I received.

Simon.
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

Olivier Mascia
In reply to this post by Simon Slavin-3
> Le 17 avr. 2018 à 23:39, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Are you getting a new dating-spam each time you post to this list ?

I indeed have got one minutes ago after my recent post here today.  I was about to write and ask about it here. :)

--
Best Regards, Meilleures salutations, Met vriendelijke groeten,
Olivier Mascia


_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users?

Rich Shepard
In reply to this post by Simon Slavin-3
On Tue, 17 Apr 2018, Simon Slavin wrote:

> Okay, that's enough. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Simon,

   FWIW, I haven't seen any spam from this mail list. I do run my own MTA
which aggressively rejects known spam. Over 20 years I doubt there have been
more than a handfull from all mail lists to which I have been subscribed.

Rich
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users?

J Decker
On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 3:11 PM, Rich Shepard <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Apr 2018, Simon Slavin wrote:
>
> Okay, that's enough. Thanks for the help, everyone.
>>
>
> Simon,
>
>   FWIW, I haven't seen any spam from this mail list. I do run my own MTA
> which aggressively rejects known spam. Over 20 years I doubt there have
> been
> more than a handfull from all mail lists to which I have been subscribed.
>
>
Just really wanted to get some huh? :)


> Rich
>
> _______________________________________________
> sqlite-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
>
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users?

Simon Slavin-3
In reply to this post by Rich Shepard
On 17 Apr 2018, at 11:11pm, Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FWIW, I haven't seen any spam from this mail list. I do run my own MTA
> which aggressively rejects known spam.

I won't give details in public but I will say that one or more characteristics of the spam messages appear in the URIBL blacklist.  I suspect that if you use a score filter your system filtered it out.

Simon.
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

Richard Hipp-3
In reply to this post by Simon Slavin-3
On 4/17/18, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Can the list admins please take appropriate action ?

If you can identify the mailing list member that is sending the spam,
then I can banish them.  But beyond that, what can I do?  If somebody
is subscribed using email [hidden email], but then they turn around
and send spam replies using [hidden email], how am I suppose to make
the connection between these two addresses?

I can set the list serve to obscure sender emails.  We tried that once
before, you might recall, and it did not go well.
--
D. Richard Hipp
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

D Burgess
No problems with spam on my first day back on this list.
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

Richard Hipp-3
In reply to this post by Simon Slavin-3
I have banished a block of 256 IP addresses around the specific IP
address from which the spam was originating.  (The ISP is
Mellowhost.com.)  I did not expect that this would help, as I assumed
that the email addresses were being harvested from a separate gmail or
yahoo email account.  And yet, since banishing that block of IPs, I
have not heard any further reports of spam.

Please let me know if you get any more spam after sending messages to this list.

"Banishing" means configuring IP filters on the server to silently
discard any and all IP packets that originate from the targeted range
of IP addresses.
--
D. Richard Hipp
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

José María Mateos
In reply to this post by Simon Slavin-3
On Tue, Apr 17, 2018, at 17:39, Simon Slavin wrote:
> Dear list-posters,
>
> Are you getting a new dating-spam each time you post to this list ?  If
> you are, please post a brief follow-up to this message.  Please do /not/
> include any details about the spam, its headers, or the person it's
> apparently from.  Just a "me too" until I say I have seen enough
> responses.

For what I understand, this exact behavior is happening right now on the r-help mailing list too. People were wondering if addresses were being scrapped from nabble.com or something similar.

Cheers,

--
José María (Chema) Mateos
https://rinzewind.org/blog-es || https://rinzewind.org/blog-en
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

Don V Nielsen
And my dating success rate has dropped dramatically

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 8:54 AM, José María Mateos <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2018, at 17:39, Simon Slavin wrote:
> > Dear list-posters,
> >
> > Are you getting a new dating-spam each time you post to this list ?  If
> > you are, please post a brief follow-up to this message.  Please do /not/
> > include any details about the spam, its headers, or the person it's
> > apparently from.  Just a "me too" until I say I have seen enough
> > responses.
>
> For what I understand, this exact behavior is happening right now on the
> r-help mailing list too. People were wondering if addresses were being
> scrapped from nabble.com or something similar.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> José María (Chema) Mateos
> https://rinzewind.org/blog-es || https://rinzewind.org/blog-en
> _______________________________________________
> sqlite-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
>
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

David Raymond
In reply to this post by Richard Hipp-3
Just got my first one after my last post.


-----Original Message-----
From: sqlite-users [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Richard Hipp
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 8:41 AM
To: SQLite mailing list
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

I have banished a block of 256 IP addresses around the specific IP
address from which the spam was originating.  (The ISP is
Mellowhost.com.)  I did not expect that this would help, as I assumed
that the email addresses were being harvested from a separate gmail or
yahoo email account.  And yet, since banishing that block of IPs, I
have not heard any further reports of spam.

Please let me know if you get any more spam after sending messages to this list.

"Banishing" means configuring IP filters on the server to silently
discard any and all IP packets that originate from the targeted range
of IP addresses.
--
D. Richard Hipp
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

Richard Hipp-3
Can you forward at least the header to me, please?

On 4/18/18, David Raymond <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just got my first one after my last post.
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: sqlite-users [mailto:[hidden email]] On
> Behalf Of Richard Hipp
> Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 8:41 AM
> To: SQLite mailing list
> Subject: Re: [sqlite] Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?
>
> I have banished a block of 256 IP addresses around the specific IP
> address from which the spam was originating.  (The ISP is
> Mellowhost.com.)  I did not expect that this would help, as I assumed
> that the email addresses were being harvested from a separate gmail or
> yahoo email account.  And yet, since banishing that block of IPs, I
> have not heard any further reports of spam.
>
> Please let me know if you get any more spam after sending messages to this
> list.
>
> "Banishing" means configuring IP filters on the server to silently
> discard any and all IP packets that originate from the targeted range
> of IP addresses.
> --
> D. Richard Hipp
> [hidden email]
> _______________________________________________
> sqlite-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
> _______________________________________________
> sqlite-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
>


--
D. Richard Hipp
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

Dennis Clarke
In reply to this post by David Raymond

> "Banishing" means configuring IP filters on the server to silently
> discard any and all IP packets that originate from the targeted range
> of IP addresses.

This is the best method that I have ever used and I can tell you that
your ipfilter rules can get quite long using this approach.  In truth
I banish ALL registered subnets from certain areas of the world
and then life goes on.  Entire continents blocked.

Dennis



_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

Richard Hipp-3
On 4/18/18, Dennis Clarke <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>> "Banishing" means configuring IP filters on the server to silently
>> discard any and all IP packets that originate from the targeted range
>> of IP addresses.
>
> This is the best method that I have ever used and I can tell you that
> your ipfilter rules can get quite long using this approach.  In truth
> I banish ALL registered subnets from certain areas of the world
> and then life goes on.  Entire continents blocked.
>

This technique works to prevent me from getting the spam, because all
my email goes through the machine doing the blocking - sqlite.org.
Unfortunately, the email for the other 2000+ people on this mail list
goes through different servers which are not blocking the misbehaving
IP address, and so they are still seeing the spam.
--
D. Richard Hipp
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

dave
In reply to this post by José María Mateos
Wouldn't it be as simple as subscribing to the mailing list and harvesting
the emails directly from the inbound content?  Because as it is, everyone's
real email already comes to me in the list messages I receive (as
'sqlite-users on behalf of [hidden email]')

The spam message I just received used the subject line that I had posted
onto the list a day or so ago (so I know how they got it), but was addressed
to my email directly (so I don't think there's any banning that sqlite can
do).  Perhaps it's a pity I'm otherwise too busy, because Samantha invites
me to 'come and treat us in real, plz'.  Lol!  Oh well, this account is so
inundated with spam already, I suppose a little more won't hurt....

> -----Original Message-----
> From: sqlite-users
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On
> Behalf Of José María Mateos
> Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 8:55 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [sqlite] Are you getting spam when you post to
> sqlite-users ?
>
>
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2018, at 17:39, Simon Slavin wrote:
> > Dear list-posters,
> >
> > Are you getting a new dating-spam each time you post to
> this list ?  If
> > you are, please post a brief follow-up to this message.  
> Please do /not/
> > include any details about the spam, its headers, or the person it's
> > apparently from.  Just a "me too" until I say I have seen enough
> > responses.
>
> For what I understand, this exact behavior is happening right
> now on the r-help mailing list too. People were wondering if
> addresses were being scrapped from nabble.com or something similar.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> José María (Chema) Mateos
> https://rinzewind.org/blog-es || https://rinzewind.org/blog-en
> _______________________________________________
> sqlite-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
>


_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Are you getting spam when you post to sqlite-users ?

Simon Slavin-3
On 18 Apr 2018, at 11:19pm, dave <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wouldn't it be as simple as subscribing to the mailing list and harvesting
> the emails directly from the inbound content?

No need to subscribe.  This mailing list is gated to web fora.  Just scrape some web pages.

I don't think there's a solution short of each one of us tuning our junkmail filters by telling them to reject all of those spam messages.

Simon.
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
12