Best way to develop a GUI front-end

Balaji Ramanathan
Hi,

    I have been using SQLite without any programming language so far.  I
maintain the data in SQLite and use SqliteStudio (www.sqlitestudio.pl) for
inputting data into it and running queries to look at outputs.  However
SqliteStudio does not have a programmable back-end that allows me to take
the outputs of a query and do things with it (such as calculating running
sums and averages, for instance).  So, if things become too expensive for
standard SQL, I just do without.

    In the past, I have maintained my data in an Access database and
developed a pretty extensive set of forms and reports to input and extract
data.  I moved to SQLite because I wanted to move off a proprietary
platform onto a free one.  And SQLite is faster and includes more SQL
functionality like CTE's also.

    But I miss the nice front-end with forms to take inputs (especially
parent and child forms to input data related to foreign keys) and the
reports to format my outputs the way I wanted them.  I could also do
running sums and averages, percentile scores and other things that require
looking at a data dump of an entire columns of contents to do efficiently.

    I am familiar with programming in C and Java, but none of my
programming has been for the windows platform (except for the programming
inside MS Access, which was done in VBA).  I have never developed GUI front
ends with forms, buttons, etc.

    Is there a third party free tool like MS Access that would allow me to
connect to a SQLite db in the back-end and enable me to create a custom
front-end to it with forms and reports?  All my searches for this kind of
tool only lead me to tools like SqliteStudio, which is a GUI front end for
SQLite, but not a programmable one like I want.  If anyone can point me
towards a programmable GUI front-end development tool (preferrably
open-source, but just free and well-maintained is sufficient), I would
appreciate it greatly.

    Thank you very much.

Balaji Ramanathan

Re: Best way to develop a GUI front-end

Peter da Silva
Since sqlite originated as a Tcl extension it’s got excellent Tcl bindings, and Tcl has an excellent platform-independent GUI in Tk, so it seems to me that would be the best and simplest way to create a GUI front end for sqlite.

Re: Best way to develop a GUI front-end

Richard Hipp-3
On 11/13/17, Peter Da Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Since sqlite originated as a Tcl extension it’s got excellent Tcl bindings,
> and Tcl has an excellent platform-independent GUI in Tk, so it seems to me
> that would be the best and simplest way to create a GUI front end for
> sqlite.

+1

Re: Best way to develop a GUI front-end

Tim Streater-3

There is Xojo (www.xojo.com) which has SQLite built in and has reports (which I have never used). It's cross-platform and you create your own GUI front end with windows, buttons etc. It's free to use for development, but if you want to compile and build a stand-alone application (.exe or .app) then you buy a licence. There is a Lite licence to build for one platform which is not a high cost.

--
Cheers  --  Tim

Re: Best way to develop a GUI front-end

Bart Smissaert
As you are familiar with VBA I can see two other options:

1. Use Christian Werner's ODBC driver from Access (or Excel):
http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/

2. Use Olaf Schmidt's COM dll with Access (or Excel):
http://www.vbrichclient.com/#/en/About/

RBS

Drago, William @ CSG - NARDA-MITEQ-2

Better yet, use the official SQLite provider for the .NET languages. This will work with any .NET/Visual Studio language (C#/F#/VB):

http://system.data.sqlite.org/

Building GUI apps with Visual Studio is very easy, and you can get the community edition of Visual Studio for free.

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/community/

--
Bill Drago
Staff Engineer

Beginning April 1, 2018, L3 Technologies, Inc. will discontinue the use of all @L-3Com.com email addresses. To ensure delivery of your messages to this recipient, please update your records to use [hidden email].

Re: Best way to develop a GUI front-end

Don V Nielsen
Ruby on Rails

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:09 AM, Drago, William @ CSG - NARDA-MITEQ <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Not sure this will work with VBA though.
VB .NET is very different from VBA (or VB6), so that won't be that easy,
unless I am missing something.

RBS

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 4:09 PM, Drago, William @ CSG - NARDA-MITEQ <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Donald Griggs
Regarding:

*1. Use Christian Werner's ODBC driver from Access (or Excel):*
*http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/* <http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/>

If you prefer an open solution to Excel or Access, you may want to pair
Werner's ODBC driver with LibreOffice Base or Calc.

http://www.libreoffice.org/

I've only glanced at the advice below, but it's likely reasonable:

> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/
> Using_SQLite_With_OpenOffice.org#Under_Windows

Re: Best way to develop a GUI front-end

Drago, William @ CSG - NARDA-MITEQ-2
> > This will work with any .NET/Visual Studio language (C#/F#/VB):
>
> Not sure this will work with VBA though.
> VB .NET is very different from VBA (or VB6), so that won't be that easy,
> unless I am missing something.
>
> RBS

It's not that hard to go from VBA to VB .NET. The part I failed to explain is that is does require a transition from one to the other.

-Bill
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain material that is proprietary, confidential, privileged or otherwise legally protected or restricted under applicable government laws. Any review, disclosure, distributing or other use without expressed permission of the sender is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies without reading, printing, or saving.

Beginning April 1, 2018, L3 Technologies, Inc. will discontinue the use of all @L-3Com.com email addresses. To ensure delivery of your messages to this recipient, please update your records to use [hidden email].

Re: Best way to develop a GUI front-end

Warren Young
On Nov 13, 2017, at 2:54 PM, Balaji Ramanathan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the past, I have maintained my data in an Access database

That’s the sort of application that the open source world just is not very good at recreating.  F/OSS people hear “database” and think SQLite or Postgres or MySQL, which is not at all the same thing as Access or FileMaker Pro.  The F/OSS world is disproportionately populated by developers; they think, “why would I want a GUI builder and a simplified scripting engine for a database?”

Yes, I’m painting with broad strokes here.  I’ve written multiple database-based applications in the past using both the F/OSS DBMSes listed above and FileMaker Pro *and* ye olde Borland Paradox.  I think there’s a place for both kinds of “database,” but the F/OSS world doesn’t seem to want to spend many resources on the latter sort.

I’ve just done some Googling, and have come up with two poor alternatives:

   http://kexi-project.org/
   https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/base/

The primary problem with Kexi is that it’s tied into KDE, and hence isn’t easily portable to Windows and macOS.  You have to port over huge chunks of KDE to get it to work, so few people bother, hence the ports wither and die.  So, if you can run on Linux or run a Linux VM on your host, it may do fine for you.  Otherwise, you probably can’t use it.

The primary problem with Base is that it’s Java-based, which means it only works with the embedded Java HSQLDB library or with DBMSes it can connect to externally via client-server APIs or shims like JBDC and ODBC.  That makes it difficult to use with SQLite.  Not impossible, but certainly not as easy as, say, MySQL.  It’s probably your best bet if you want something like Access for free (both senses) and can give up on the SQLite requirement.

>    I am familiar with programming in C and Java, but none of my
> programming has been for the windows platform (except for the programming
> inside MS Access, which was done in VBA).  I have never developed GUI front
> ends with forms, buttons, etc.

The others’ recommendations for Tcl/Tk isn’t too bad.  Tk is uncommonly easy to write GUIs with.  The only easier *programmatic* method for building a GUI is HTML and its imitators.  (Adobe Flex, Microsoft XAML, etc.)

The main problem with Tk GUIs is that they tend not to look “native,” even if you use the new “themed Tk” widgets available since Tk 8.5:

    http://www.tkdocs.com/resources/backgrounder.html

Additionally, Tcl is a brain-bender of a language.  It is not much like any other programming language.  It’s vaguely like a Lisp-flavored C shell, but it takes an experienced eye to make even that tenuous connection.  Expect a learning curve.

I’m glad I learned Tcl, long ago, because it broke my mold of what a programming language had to be.  It’s therefore worth doing even if you never touch Tcl again after learning it.
dmp

Re: Best way to develop a GUI front-end

dmp
> Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 15:54:42 -0600
> From: Balaji Ramanathan <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [sqlite] Best way to develop a GUI front-end
>
> Hi,
>
> I have been using SQLite without any programming language so far.  I
> maintain the data in ........
> ~
> ~
> ~
> Is there a third party free tool like MS Access that would allow me to
> connect to a SQLite db in the back-end and enable me to create a custom
> front-end to it with forms and reports?  All my searches for this kind of
>  tool only lead me to tools like SqliteStudio, which is a GUI front end
> for SQLite, but not a programmable one like I want.  If anyone can point
> me towards a programmable GUI front-end development tool (preferrably
> open-source, but just free and well-maintained is sufficient), I would
> appreciate it greatly.
>
> Thank you very much.
> Balaji Ramanathan

Hello,

I have several times posted, indicating the release of my database GUI,
Ajqvue. It is a well maintained, mature open source project that was
started in 2005 then renamed in 2016, because of a cease-desist from
Oracle.

The project language is in Java and was started on Sourceforge and is
now hosted on GitHub.

https://github.com/danap/ajqvue

Ajqvue is a framework that so happens to have as its main plugin a
database interface. The interface is more in line with a spreadsheet
application rather than a tree db/table selector display, with a manual
query entry form. The database interface is JDBC, which most of the
databases have available. For SQLite I have been using:

https://github.com/xerial/sqlite-jdbc

Ajqvue comes with several additional plugins for analysis, and plotting.
I believe the most versatile aspect of Ajqvue though is the ability
through the Query Bucket to save composed SQL queries. Those queries
can then be dragged/dropped into plugins to allow data processing.

A plugin of a custom form should be relatively easy to create if you
know Java. There is a tutorial available on the documentation page
of the site along with videos demonstrating the desktop application.
Once a plugin is created it can be sourced locally, LAN, or on the
Internet.

If you do create a plugin GUI I recommend Swing over JavaFX. I have
had issues on various, Linux platforms with JavaFX and just switched
the charting plugin from JavaFX to JFreeChart.

Dana Proctor
Ajqvue Project Manager
http://ajqvue.com

Re: Best way to develop a GUI front-end

Balaji Ramanathan
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Looked at Xojo.  Not sure if the free version will stick around.  And there
is no way to save and reuse reports from one session to another in the free
version.  Creating and recreating the report every time is going to become
tedious very soon.

Continuing to use Access as a front end and connecting to my db using odbc
is definitely an option.  I wanted to move away fully from Access, so I am
going to keep that as a backup option.

I am leaning towards tcl/tk given the endorsement from both Peter and DRH.
So, I downloaded tcl/tk version 8.6.7 from magicsplat (
http://www.magicsplat.com/tcl-installer/index.html), and then ran
tclsh.exe.  In the resulting command window, I typed "sqlite3 db1 <path to
my sqlite database" as instructed on this page on the sqlite website:
https://sqlite.org/tclsqlite.html .  And all I got was "invalid command
name sqlite3".  So, I am stuck.  What did I do wrong?

BTW, the www.tcl-lang.org website has been down for at least the past 3
days it looks like.  Not sure how to interpret the reliability of a
technology whose home website is down for days at a time.

Balaji Ramanathan

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 6:00 AM, <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bcc:
> Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 22:03:34 +0000
> Subject: Re: [sqlite] Best way to develop a GUI front-end
> Since sqlite originated as a Tcl extension it’s got excellent Tcl
> bindings, and Tcl has an excellent platform-independent GUI in Tk, so it
> seems to me that would be the best and simplest way to create a GUI front
> end for sqlite.

> Bcc:
> Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 17:06:20 -0500
> Subject: Re: [sqlite] Best way to develop a GUI front-end
> On 11/13/17, Peter Da Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Since sqlite originated as a Tcl extension it’s got excellent Tcl
> bindings,
> > and Tcl has an excellent platform-independent GUI in Tk, so it seems to
> me
> > that would be the best and simplest way to create a GUI front end for
> > sqlite.
>
> +1
>
> --
> D. Richard Hipp

> Bcc:
> Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 22:22:29 +0000
> Subject: Re: [sqlite] Best way to develop a GUI front-end
> On 13 Nov 2017, at 21:54, Balaji Ramanathan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> >     Is there a third party free tool like MS Access that would allow me
> > connect to a SQLite db in the back-end and enable me to create a custom
> > front-end to it with forms and reports?  All my searches for this kind of
> > tool only lead me to tools like SqliteStudio, which is a GUI front end
> for
> > SQLite, but not a programmable one like I want.  If anyone can point me
> > towards a programmable GUI front-end development tool (preferrably
> > open-source, but just free and well-maintained is sufficient), I would
> > appreciate it greatly.
>
> There is Xojo (www.xojo.com) which has SQLite built in and has reports
> (which I have never used). It's cross-platform and you create your own GUI
> front end with windows, buttons etc. It's free to use for development, but
> if you want to compile and build a stand-alone application (.exe or .app)
> then you buy a licence. There is a Lite licence to build for one platform
> which is not a high cost.
>

> --
> Cheers  --  Tim

> Bcc:
> Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 23:52:18 +0000
> Subject: Re: [sqlite] Best way to develop a GUI front-end
> As you are familiar with VBA I can see two other options:
>
> 1. Use Christian Werner's ODBC driver from Access (or Excel):
> http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/
>
> 2. Use Olaf Schmidt's COM dll with Access (or Excel):
> http://www.vbrichclient.com/#/en/About/
>
> RBS

Re: Best way to develop a GUI front-end

J Decker
I'll throw my 2 cents in...

A Node.js server, and use a web frontend, or electron/nwjs which are
browsers that include node, and can be standalone apps.

On 11/14/17, 3:33 PM, "sqlite-users on behalf of Balaji Ramanathan" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
> I am leaning towards tcl/tk given the endorsement from both Peter and DRH. So, I downloaded tcl/tk version 8.6.7 from magicsplat (http://www.magicsplat.com/tcl-installer/index.html), and then ran tclsh.exe.  In the resulting command window, I typed "sqlite3 db1 <path to my sqlite database" as instructed on this page on the sqlite website: https://sqlite.org/tclsqlite.html .  And all I got was "invalid command name sqlite3".  So, I am stuck.  What did I do wrong?

    % package require sqlite3
    3.20.1
    % sqlite3 db1 :memory:
    %

> BTW, the www.tcl-lang.org website has been down for at least the past 3 days it looks like.  Not sure how to interpret the reliability of a technology whose home website is down for days at a time.

Try https://www.tcl.tk/ ?

Re: Best way to develop a GUI front-end

Igor Korot
Hi,
Did you look at wxPython (or wxPhoenix)?
It was recenty saw a new release..
Thank you.

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Peter Da Silva
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/14/17, 3:33 PM, "sqlite-users on behalf of Balaji Ramanathan" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am leaning towards tcl/tk given the endorsement from both Peter and DRH. So, I downloaded tcl/tk version 8.6.7 from magicsplat (http://www.magicsplat.com/tcl-installer/index.html), and then ran tclsh.exe.  In the resulting command window, I typed "sqlite3 db1 <path to my sqlite database" as instructed on this page on the sqlite website: https://sqlite.org/tclsqlite.html .  And all I got was "invalid command name sqlite3".  So, I am stuck.  What did I do wrong?
>
>     % package require sqlite3
>     3.20.1
>     % sqlite3 db1 :memory:
>     %
>
>> BTW, the www.tcl-lang.org website has been down for at least the past 3 days it looks like.  Not sure how to interpret the reliability of a technology whose home website is down for days at a time.
>
> Try https://www.tcl.tk/ ?

Re: Best way to develop a GUI front-end

Jungle Boogie
Thus said J Decker on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 13:35:55 -0800
> I'll throw my 2 cents in...
>
> A Node.js server, and use a web frontend, or electron/nwjs which are
> browsers that include node, and can be standalone apps.

Funny you should mention that. I've been looking at node.js and curious
how sqlite would be implemented. Can you recommend a npm package for it?
Have you implemented something in node with sqlite?

This one is quite active on github and on the npmjs site:
https://github.com/sequelize/sequelize

Initially I was interested in tcl/tk, and still am, but I'm not sure
about the tcl/tk packaging that would be necessary to make use on
multiple computers. Also, I don't know how network database connections
would work out, would it be the same as web based stuff or more
complicated, etc.

Thanks,
j.b.

Re: Best way to develop a GUI front-end

Simon Slavin-3

On 15 Nov 2017, at 4:14am, jungle boogie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Funny you should mention that. I've been looking at node.js and curious how sqlite would be implemented. Can you recommend a npm package for it?

SQLite is implemented as promises, allowing it to be programmed as if the commands are being executed asynchronously.

<https://www.npmjs.com/package/sqlite>

<https://www.npmjs.com/package/better-sqlite3>

If you aren’t already used to programming with sqlite3, try the "better:=" one.

Re: Best way to develop a GUI front-end

J Decker
On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 8:14 PM, jungle boogie <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thus said J Decker on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 13:35:55 -0800
>
>> I'll throw my 2 cents in...
>>
>> A Node.js server, and use a web frontend, or electron/nwjs which are
>> browsers that include node, and can be standalone apps.
>>

> Funny you should mention that. I've been looking at node.js and curious
> how sqlite would be implemented. Can you recommend a npm package for it?
> Have you implemented something in node with sqlite?
>
> I use my own package ... sqlite is available in
https://www.npmjs.com/package/sack.vfs#sqlite-interface with a very simple
interface. no promises callbacks or other complications.

> This one is quite active on github and on the npmjs site:
> https://github.com/sequelize/sequelize
>
> Initially I was interested in tcl/tk, and still am, but I'm not sure about
> the tcl/tk packaging that would be necessary to make use on multiple
> computers. Also, I don't know how network database connections would work
> out, would it be the same as web based stuff or more complicated, etc.
>

> Thanks,
> j.b.

Re: Best way to develop a GUI front-end

Peter da Silva
I contacted the Tcl core team and this is the response from Steve Landers:

The official site is still at tcl.tk.