Book recommendation

Joe Halpin
I'm looking for a good tutorial (online or paper) to help me get the
concepts behind using the C/C++ API. Could anyone recommend the book by
Chris Newman "SQLite: A practical guide to using, administering and
programming the database bundled with PHP5"?

I'm looking primarily to use the API rather than the command line tool.

Thanks

Joe

Re: Book recommendation

Alfredo Cole-2
El Miércoles, 9 de Noviembre de 2005 14:21, Joe Halpin escribió:
 > I'm looking for a good tutorial (online or paper) to help me get the
 > concepts behind using the C/C++ API. Could anyone recommend the book by
 > Chris Newman "SQLite: A practical guide to using, administering and
 > programming the database bundled with PHP5"?
 >
 > I'm looking primarily to use the API rather than the command line tool.
 >
 > Thanks
 >
 > Joe

It's a good book. Get the paperback edition, unless you are using Windows and
want to save money. There is no Acrobat reader for ebooks on Linux.

Regards.

Alfredo J. Cole
Grupo ACyC

Re: Book recommendation

Firman Wandayandi
On 11/10/05, Joe Halpin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm looking for a good tutorial (online or paper) to help me get the
> concepts behind using the C/C++ API. Could anyone recommend the book by
> Chris Newman "SQLite: A practical guide to using, administering and
> programming the database bundled with PHP5"?
>
> I'm looking primarily to use the API rather than the command line tool.
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe

Any links for it?

--
Firman Wandayandi
Never Dreamt Before: http://firman.dotgeek.org/
Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/1AAN8NZBHW2W9

Re: Book recommendation

Dan Kennedy

I'm 99% certain this book covers the sqlite v2 C/C++ API. Which is
similar, but not exactly the same as v3 (the current). The other
APIs it covers, TCL and PHP, I think are still pretty much the same.

That said the book is pretty readable.

--- Joe Halpin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm looking for a good tutorial (online or paper) to help me get the
> concepts behind using the C/C++ API. Could anyone recommend the book by
> Chris Newman "SQLite: A practical guide to using, administering and
> programming the database bundled with PHP5"?
>
> I'm looking primarily to use the API rather than the command line tool.
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Book recommendation

jreidthompson
Alfredo Cole wrote:

> El Mi?rcoles, 9 de Noviembre de 2005 14:21, Joe Halpin escribi?:
>  > I'm looking for a good tutorial (online or paper) to help me get the
>  > concepts behind using the C/C++ API. Could anyone recommend the book by
>  > Chris Newman "SQLite: A practical guide to using, administering and
>  > programming the database bundled with PHP5"?
>  >
>  > I'm looking primarily to use the API rather than the command line tool.
>  >
>  > Thanks
>  >
>  > Joe
>
> It's a good book. Get the paperback edition, unless you are using Windows and
> want to save money. There is no Acrobat reader for ebooks on Linux.
>
> Regards.

Adobe does provide Acrobat Reader for LINUX.

Re: Book recommendation

jreidthompson
Reid Thompson wrote:

> Alfredo Cole wrote:
>
>> El Mi?rcoles, 9 de Noviembre de 2005 14:21, Joe Halpin escribi?:
>>  > I'm looking for a good tutorial (online or paper) to help me get the
>>  > concepts behind using the C/C++ API. Could anyone recommend the
>> book by
>>  > Chris Newman "SQLite: A practical guide to using, administering and
>>  > programming the database bundled with PHP5"?
>>  >
>>  > I'm looking primarily to use the API rather than the command line
>> tool.
>>  >
>>  > Thanks
>>  >
>>  > Joe
>>
>> It's a good book. Get the paperback edition, unless you are using
>> Windows and want to save money. There is no Acrobat reader for ebooks
>> on Linux.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
> Adobe does provide Acrobat Reader for LINUX.
there's also xpdf.  and google may provide others....

Re: Book recommendation

Alfredo Cole-2
El Jueves, 10 de Noviembre de 2005 11:33, escribió:
 > Alfredo Cole wrote:
 > > El Miércoles, 9 de Noviembre de 2005 14:21, Joe Halpin escribió:
 > >  > I'm looking for a good tutorial (online or paper) to help me get the
 > >  > concepts behind using the C/C++ API. Could anyone recommend the book
 > >  > by Chris Newman "SQLite: A practical guide to using, administering
 > >  > and programming the database bundled with PHP5"?
 > >  >
 > >  > I'm looking primarily to use the API rather than the command line
 > >  > tool.
 > >  >
 > >  > Thanks
 > >  >
 > >  > Joe
 > >
 > > It's a good book. Get the paperback edition, unless you are using
 > > Windows and want to save money. There is no Acrobat reader for ebooks on
 > > Linux.
 > >
 > > Regards.
 >
 > Adobe does provide Acrobat Reader for LINUX.

Sure. But try reading an ebook with it. If things have changed, I'll be glad
to try again.

Regards.

Alfredo J. Cole
Grupo ACyC

Re: Book recommendation

jreidthompson
  Alfredo Cole wrote:

> El Jueves, 10 de Noviembre de 2005 11:33, escribi?:
>  > Alfredo Cole wrote:
>  > > El Mi?rcoles, 9 de Noviembre de 2005 14:21, Joe Halpin escribi?:
>  > >  > I'm looking for a good tutorial (online or paper) to help me get the
>  > >  > concepts behind using the C/C++ API. Could anyone recommend the book
>  > >  > by Chris Newman "SQLite: A practical guide to using, administering
>  > >  > and programming the database bundled with PHP5"?
>  > >  >
>  > >  > I'm looking primarily to use the API rather than the command line
>  > >  > tool.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Thanks
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Joe
>  > >
>  > > It's a good book. Get the paperback edition, unless you are using
>  > > Windows and want to save money. There is no Acrobat reader for ebooks on
>  > > Linux.
>  > >
>  > > Regards.
>  >
>  > Adobe does provide Acrobat Reader for LINUX.
>
> Sure. But try reading an ebook with it. If things have changed, I'll be glad
> to try again.
>
> Regards.

Not sure what you mean --
I've not experienced any issues with Version 7.

Re: Book recommendation

Alfredo Cole-2
El Jueves, 10 de Noviembre de 2005 11:59, escribió:
(...)

 > Not sure what you mean --
 > I've not experienced any issues with Version 7.

Try this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009F1YD8/qid=1131650560/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-4273541-2514323?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

After you buy the book, try reading it under Linux with your Acrobat Reader.

Regards.

Alfredo J. Cole
Grupo ACyC

Re: Book recommendation

Joe Halpin
I picked up a copy and it does cover the version 2 API. I'm still
working my way through the concepts part, so I'll see what the API part
is like in a bit.

Joe

Dan Kennedy wrote:

> I'm 99% certain this book covers the sqlite v2 C/C++ API. Which is
> similar, but not exactly the same as v3 (the current). The other
> APIs it covers, TCL and PHP, I think are still pretty much the same.
>
> That said the book is pretty readable.
>
> --- Joe Halpin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>I'm looking for a good tutorial (online or paper) to help me get the
>>concepts behind using the C/C++ API. Could anyone recommend the book by
>>Chris Newman "SQLite: A practical guide to using, administering and
>>programming the database bundled with PHP5"?
>>
>>I'm looking primarily to use the API rather than the command line tool.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Joe
>>

> __________________________________
> http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Book recommendation

Alfredo Cole-2
El Jueves, 10 de Noviembre de 2005 18:44, escribió:
(...)

 > I do not think that's necessary on my part... using version 7...
 > Programming Ruby
 > The Pragmatic Programmers’ Guide
 > Second Edition
 > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0974514055/103-2642709-1351861?v=glance&n
 >=283155&v=glance
 >
 > 800+ pages, all functions work -- no issues found.
(...)
 > nor with any of dozens of other pdf's that i've downloaded/read/deleted..
 > Have you tried the sqlite book with version 7?

I can read PDF files with acroread 7. No problem there. It's ebooks, and in
particular, the SQLite ebook I bought from Amazon, that I'm having problems
with.

From Adobe's web site:

"Does the Acrobat eBook Reader run on Linux?

 We do not currently plan to develop a version for the Linux platform, but we
may in the future if that platform becomes more widely used."

Regards.

--
Alfredo J. Cole
Grupo ACyC