Building SQLite ... configure/make deprecated?

Building SQLite ... configure/make deprecated?

Rob Sciuk

I note with interest the source download now (recently?) deprecates the
configure/make build of SQLite 3.6.x sources.  What gives??  I've been
configure/make(ing) SQLite since, forever, and the only problems I ever
encountered were omitting options that I needed, and quickly sorted out!

How does one actually obtain the "amalgamation", if not by using the
configure/make scripts, complete with lemon and friends??

from the web site:

  "A tarball of the complete source tree for SQLite version 3.6.13
  as extracted from the version control system. The Makefile and configure
  script in this tarball are not supported. Their use is not recommended.
  The SQLite developers do not use them. You should not use them either. If
  you want a configure script and an automated build, use either the
  amalgamation tarball or TEA tarball instead of this one. To build from
  this tarball, hand-edit one of the template Makefiles in the root
  directory of the tarball and build using your own customized
  Makefile."

Perhaps this is just me, but it seems a retrograde approach from a
Unix/Linux developer perspective ...

Re: Building SQLite ... configure/make deprecated?

Eugene Wee-2
On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 3:59 AM, Rob Sciuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How does one actually obtain the "amalgamation", if not by using the
> configure/make scripts, complete with lemon and friends??

One way is by direct download of say,
sqlite-amalgamation-3.6.13.tar.gz, from
http://www.sqlite.org/download.html

Regards,
Eugene Wee

Re: Building SQLite ... configure/make deprecated?

Puneet Kishor-2
On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Rob Sciuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I note with interest the source download now (recently?) deprecates the
> configure/make build of SQLite 3.6.x sources.  What gives??  I've been
> configure/make(ing) SQLite since, forever, and the only problems I ever
> encountered were omitting options that I needed, and quickly sorted out!
>
> How does one actually obtain the "amalgamation", if not by using the
> configure/make scripts, complete with lemon and friends??
>
> from the web site:
>
>        "A tarball of the complete source tree for SQLite version 3.6.13
>        as extracted from the version control system. The Makefile and configure
>        script in this tarball are not supported. Their use is not recommended.
>        The SQLite developers do not use them. You should not use them either. If
>        you want a configure script and an automated build, use either the
>        amalgamation tarball or TEA tarball instead of this one. To build from
>        this tarball, hand-edit one of the template Makefiles in the root
>        directory of the tarball and build using your own customized
>        Makefile."
>
> Perhaps this is just me, but it seems a retrograde approach from a
> Unix/Linux developer perspective ...

Not necessarily. I think it is more like a gentle nudge from the
developers to make us use the amalgamation instead of the separate
bits and bobs. The amalgamation has always been available standalone
with its associated Makefile.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org/
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org/
Charter Member, Open Source Geospatial Foundation http://www.osgeo.org/