Create database

Igor Korot
 Hi,
If I have a database open with sqlite3_open() and then want to issue
another sqlite3_open(),
the old database will be closed and the new one will open?
Or I have to explicitly call sqlite3_close()?

Thank you.

Re: Create database

Keith Medcalf

No, a new database will be opened and you will be given an sqlite3* to it.

Just like the fopen() call can be used to open multiple files, sqlite3_open* opens a database.  The way to close an sqlite3* (handle to a) database is to use sqlite3_close specifying the database you want to close.

--
˙uʍop-ǝpısdn sı ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹnoʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Re: Create database

Igor Korot
Keith,

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 10:32 AM, Keith Medcalf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, a new database will be opened and you will be given an sqlite3* to it.
>
> Just like the fopen() call can be used to open multiple files, sqlite3_open* opens a database.  The way to close an sqlite3* (handle to a) database is to use sqlite3_close specifying the database you want to close.

I'm talking about using same database handle for both calls.

Something like this:

[pseudo-code]
sqlite3 *m_db;
int res = sqlite3_open( name1, &m_db );
//some database operations
res = sqlite3_open( name2, &m_db );
[/pseudo-code]

Thank you.

> --
> ˙uʍop-ǝpısdn sı ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹnoʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Re: Create database

To further clarify, the result of doing multiple sqlite3_open calls and saving the results to the save db handle is the same as doing

fh = fopen(...)
fh = fopen(...)
fh = fopen(...)

You have opened multiple files but are only keeping track of 1.  So although three files are opened fclose(fh) will only close the last one, and the first two are still open, you just discarded your reference to them and they are inaccessible to you.

If you do this sort of thing a lot then you program will eventually crash when it fills up with unreferenced (leaked) memory objects that you forgot (and have overwritten the handle) to close.

--
˙uʍop-ǝpısdn sı ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹnoʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Re: Create database

Igor Korot
Keith,

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Keith Medcalf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To further clarify, the result of doing multiple sqlite3_open calls and saving the results to the save db handle is the same as doing
>
> fh = fopen(...)
> fh = fopen(...)
> fh = fopen(...)
>
> You have opened multiple files but are only keeping track of 1.  So although three files are opened fclose(fh) will only close the last one, and the first two are still open, you just discarded your reference to them and they are inaccessible to you.
>
> If you do this sort of thing a lot then you program will eventually crash when it fills up with unreferenced (leaked) memory objects that you forgot (and have overwritten the handle) to close.

Thank you for clarifying.
It means that the call to sqlite3_open() does not close previously
opened database and I have to explicitly close it
with sqlite3_close().

I was just couldn't find it anywhere in the docs. Probably missed it.

> --
> ˙uʍop-ǝpısdn sı ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹnoʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Re: Create database

Simon Slavin-3

On 14 Apr 2017, at 3:44pm, Igor Korot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for clarifying.
> It means that the call to sqlite3_open() does not close previously
> opened database and I have to explicitly close it
> with sqlite3_close().

SQLite can open as many connections as you want.  It hands you back a handle for each one.  If you want it to close one, you have to tell it which one you want it to close.

So don’t do this:

sqlite3 *m_db;
int res = sqlite3_open( name1, &m_db );
    //some database operations
res = sqlite3_open( name2, &m_db );
    // stuff goes here
res = sqlite3_close(m_db);

do this:

sqlite3 *m_db;
int res = sqlite3_open( name1, &m_db );
    //some database operations
res = sqlite3_close(m_db);
res = sqlite3_open( name2, &m_db );
    // stuff goes here
res = sqlite3_close(m_db);

or this:

sqlite3 *m_db1;
sqlite3 *m_db2;
int res = sqlite3_open( name1, &m_db1 );
    //some database operations
    res = sqlite3_open( name2, &m_db2 );
        // now they’re both open
        // stuff goes here
    res = sqlite3_close(m_db2);
    // check result to see it closed okay
res = sqlite3_close(m_db1);
// check result to see it closed okay

Re: Create database

Jens Alfke-2

> On Apr 14, 2017, at 7:44 AM, Igor Korot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It means that the call to sqlite3_open() does not close previously
> opened database and I have to explicitly close it
> with sqlite3_close().
>
> I was just couldn't find it anywhere in the docs. Probably missed it.

The handle is documented as an ‘out’ parameter to sqlite3_open, so the function simply ignores any value it has on input (it’s probably uninitialized garbage anyway.) All it does is store the new handle there.

—Jens

Re: Create database

Daniel Anderson
you would probably be better off using C++ to handle everything, less
chances of forgetting to close something.

do not build your own classes, use existing one!

> Keith,
>
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Keith Medcalf <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > To further clarify, the result of doing multiple sqlite3_open calls and
> saving the results to the save db handle is the same as doing
> >
> > fh = fopen(...)
> > fh = fopen(...)
> > fh = fopen(...)
> >
> > You have opened multiple files but are only keeping track of 1.  So
> although three files are opened fclose(fh) will only close the last one,
> and the first two are still open, you just discarded your reference to them
> and they are inaccessible to you.
> >
> > If you do this sort of thing a lot then you program will eventually
> crash when it fills up with unreferenced (leaked) memory objects that you
> forgot (and have overwritten the handle) to close.
>
> Thank you for clarifying.
> It means that the call to sqlite3_open() does not close previously
> opened database and I have to explicitly close it
> with sqlite3_close().
>
> I was just couldn't find it anywhere in the docs. Probably missed it.
>

> > --
> > ˙uʍop-ǝpısdn sı ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹnoʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Daniel
*L'action accède à la perfection quand, bien que vivant, vous êtes déjà
mort*
*Bunan*

Re: Create database

Keith Medcalf

What existing one?  SQLite3 is written in C ...

--
˙uʍop-ǝpısdn sı ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹnoʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Re: Create database

Daniel Anderson
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sqlite+c%2B%2B+wrapper