Database Diagram

priya786
Hello i want to know how to get the database diagram from sqlite.Please tell me the solution.Thanks in Advance.

Re: Database Diagram

Petite Abeille-2

On Dec 6, 2011, at 1:45 PM, priya786 wrote:

> i want to know

Yes.

> how to get the database diagram from sqlite.

Yes

> Please tell me the solution.

42.

In other news, I prefer mine round:

http://www.visualcomplexity.com/vc/project.cfm?id=42

Re: Database Diagram

Donald Griggs
Regarding:

> Hello i want to know how to get the database diagram from sqlite.Please
> tell
> me the solution.Thanks in Advance.
>
> Quick answer:
     The sqlite3 utility, linked from the sqlite.org website, can dump
schema with the
     .schema
command.   If you need more than this, you will have to look to utility
programs written by others.

More detailed answer:
     Priya, if the quick answer above makes no sense to you, then I suggest
you write back to this list using many more words.   This list is for those
incorporating sqlite into their computer programs.   If you're not doing
programming, let us know what application you're using, what type of
database diagram you're wanting, and perhaps what the eventual goal is --
then someone here might (or might not) be able to direct you better.
    Donald

Re: Database Diagram

Sean Pieper
He wants an ER diagram, not a dump of the tables and contents. I wanted this too and did some digging.

There are a lot of pay tools that can do this (I think navicat for example does it). If pay tools are not an option, there are a bunch of things that claim to work, such as SQLFairy and some various JAVA libraries but never got updated to support foreign keys in sqlite. The best free option I've found is adminer, though it doesn't do automatic layout and doesn't seem to have print capability. If you don't need to generate diagrams all the time, you could manually arrange the contents until you're happy and then take a screen shot.

That said, having looked at tens of free options and seen the average quality, I would strongly recommend paying a few hundred bucks for a professional product if I needed this functionality.

-sean

> Hello i want to know how to get the database diagram from sqlite.Please
> tell
> me the solution.Thanks in Advance.
>
> Quick answer:
     The sqlite3 utility, linked from the sqlite.org website, can dump
schema with the
     .schema
command.   If you need more than this, you will have to look to utility
programs written by others.

More detailed answer:
     Priya, if the quick answer above makes no sense to you, then I suggest
you write back to this list using many more words.   This list is for those
incorporating sqlite into their computer programs.   If you're not doing
programming, let us know what application you're using, what type of
database diagram you're wanting, and perhaps what the eventual goal is --
then someone here might (or might not) be able to direct you better.
    Donald

Re: Database Diagram

Puneet Kishor-2

On Dec 6, 2011, at 6:45 AM, priya786 wrote:

> Hello i want to know how to get the database diagram from sqlite.Please tell
> me the solution.

If you are on a Mac, SQL Editor is a very nice product for about $80.
http://www.malcolmhardie.com/sqleditor/

--
Puneet Kishor

Re: Database Diagram

python-9
Hi Sean,

> That said, having looked at tens of free options and seen the average quality, I would strongly recommend paying a few hundred bucks for a professional product if I needed this functionality.

Do you have any recommendations on commercial database diagram products?

Thanks,
Malcolm

Re: Database Diagram

Sean Pieper
I haven't tried any of the pro options since getting management to buy into something free is easier than something that isn't.

I like navicat lite generally, though the lite version does not have diagramming. Their commercial edition does have this and they have 30 day free trials, so I'd probably check that out first and see if it does what you need. Mac users seem to universally adore sql editor (Puneet just suggested this too) and the price seems good, but most of us are stuck with Windows or Linux, so that might not be an option.

-sean

> That said, having looked at tens of free options and seen the average quality, I would strongly recommend paying a few hundred bucks for a professional product if I needed this functionality.

Do you have any recommendations on commercial database diagram products?

Thanks,
Malcolm

Re: Database Diagram

python-9
> I like navicat lite generally, though the lite version does not have diagramming. Their commercial edition does have this and they have 30 day free trials, so I'd probably check that out first and see if it does what you need. Mac users seem to universally adore sql editor (Puneet just suggested this too) and the price seems good, but most of us are stuck with Windows or Linux, so that might not be an option.

Thanks Sean!

Malcolm

Re: Database Diagram

oliver1804
Am Dienstag, den 06.12.2011, 04:45 -0800 schrieb priya786:
> Hello i want to know how to get the database diagram from sqlite.Please tell
> me the solution.Thanks in Advance.

for ER diagrams i.e.

- dia (http://live.gnome.org/Dia, linux and ms)
- yED (http://www.yworks.com/en/products_yed_about.html, linux & ms)

greetings
oliver

Re: Database Diagram

Sean Pieper
yED is nice, but there isn't an automated way of loading a schema into it to get an ER diagram out, is there?
I thought if you go down that path you were basically stuck drawing your diagram by hand (using their ER diagram shapes).

-sean