Quantcast

Decrypt .db file

Rone Qwerty
 Dear sir,
would you please inform me, how to dycrept .db file if i forgot the password. it encrypted by SEE extension ( AES-encrypted databases ).
Thank you rone

Re: Decrypt .db file

Keith Medcalf
On Friday, 17 February, 2017 16:04, Rone Qwerty <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Dear sir,
> would you please inform me, how to dycrept .db file if i forgot the
> password. it encrypted by SEE extension ( AES-encrypted databases ).

Hopefully the answer is "your data is gone, forever, unless you can come up with the correct password" (whether by brute-force, sudden remembrance, or application of a rubber hose).

To quote the old adage:
  You never know how good your security is until you forget your key ...

Re: Decrypt .db file

On 2/17/17, Rone Qwerty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Dear sir,
> would you please inform me, how to dycrept .db file if i forgot the
> password.

You must try all possible passwords, one by one, until you find the
right one.  This is very difficult, as there are many possible
passwords.

The whole point of encryption is to prevent people from accessing the
file who do not know that password.  If there were a easy way to
recover the password, then it wouldn't be "encryption".

Re: Decrypt .db file

Cezary H. Noweta
Hello,

On 2017-02-18 13:11, Richard Hipp wrote:
> On 2/17/17, Rone Qwerty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  Dear sir,
>> would you please inform me, how to dycrept .db file if i forgot the
>> password.

> You must try all possible passwords, one by one, until you find the
> right one.  This is very difficult, as there are many possible
> passwords.

> The whole point of encryption is to prevent people from accessing the
> file who do not know that password.  If there were a easy way to
> recover the password, then it wouldn't be "encryption".

Hmm... Just evocative $0.02 to set fire to I-ve-forgotten-pwd's
imagination: 256bit key gives 2^256 possibilities, which is about a
number of particles in the observable Universe. Would you try to count
them all? If it had not been a prospective security reduction, then 128
bits would have been enough. The latter number is a more-or-less
accurate approximation of a number of atoms on the Earth -- much less
then 2^256, but still not easy obtainable.

@OP: In practice you do not need to brute-force 2^256 or 2^128
permutations. Consider words which you could use as elements of the
password. Together with numbers, special symbols, casing they will
produce billions permutations at most. To be more lifelike, I would
assume, that they will produce millions permutations -- quite obtainable
result. Certainly, only if you have some small testable fragment (for
example, one 128 bit AES block). As for me, recovery from forgotten
password never exceeded 2 weeks, but often it fit in minutes, in case of
``normal'' (i.e. not like ``kaksj8ooY^*&^O&rerp66oeri75*&*%P'')
passwords. Good luck.

-- best regards

Cezary H. Noweta