Doc about sqlite_master

Dominique Devienne
First, is sqlite_master part of the "public API" of SQLite?
I would think so, since many example refer to it.

I was thus looking for a Doc page about it,
but a quick Google search didn't turn up a "direct" result.

For example, the values sqlite_master.type can take, I found only outside
sqlite.org.
Also in https://www.sqlite.org/sitemap.html#pindex, there's no master entry.

I'm sure there's plenty of tidbits scattered in the doc, but could there be
central place to read and learn about sqlite_master? TIA, --DD

Re: Doc about sqlite_master

Simon Slavin-3
On 5 Aug 2019, at 9:25am, Dominique Devienne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> First, is sqlite_master part of the "public API" of SQLite?
> I would think so, since many example refer to it.

It's documented.  Therefore it can't be changed on a whim.  So I'd agree that it's part of the public API.  The two most thorough discussions appear to be in

<https://www.sqlite.org/fileformat2.html#storage_of_the_sql_database_schema>

<https://sqlite.org/faq.html#q7>

I think the first of those could be said to be the place to go for information about it.  It's just not listed like that in any index.

Re: Doc about sqlite_master

Dominique Devienne
On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 10:37 AM Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 Aug 2019, at 9:25am, Dominique Devienne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> <
> https://www.sqlite.org/fileformat2.html#storage_of_the_sql_database_schema
> >
> <https://sqlite.org/faq.html#q7>
> I think the first of those could be said to be the place to go for
> information about it.  It's just not listed like that in any index.

"go to" is precisely the problem I'm raising. Google found the FAQ
reference, but that still doesn't get you the possible type values.
And the FileFormat page is much harder to find/discover IMHO. Thus my
suggestion that an explicit page of its own is warranted,
properly indexed then. My $0.02. --DD

Re: Doc about sqlite_master

Simon Slavin-3
On 5 Aug 2019, at 10:34am, Dominique Devienne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thus my
> suggestion that an explicit page of its own is warranted,
> properly indexed then.

Given that there are other sqlite_* tables which are documented, perhaps rather than having a page on just sqlite_master, there should be a page on all documented sqlite_* tables.

Re: Doc about sqlite_master

Dominique Devienne
On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 11:37 AM Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 Aug 2019, at 10:34am, Dominique Devienne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thus my suggestion that an explicit page of its own is
> warranted, properly indexed then.
> Given that there are other sqlite_* tables which are documented, perhaps
> rather than having a page on just sqlite_master, there should be a page on
> all documented sqlite_* tables.

What other sqlite_* tables are you talking about?

sqlite_master is AFAIK the only table with a "fixed-name", that's part of
the "public API" as previously discussed.
Aren't all these other sqlite_* tables implementation details of some sort?
As such, they are completely separate IMHO. --DD

Re: Doc about sqlite_master

Simon Slavin-3
On 5 Aug 2019, at 11:54am, Dominique Devienne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What other sqlite_* tables are you talking about?
>
> sqlite_master is AFAIK the only table with a "fixed-name", that's part of the "public API" as previously discussed.

I would argue that sqlite_sequence and sqlite_stat?, as documented in

<https://www.sqlite.org/fileformat2.html#the_sqlite_sequence_table>

and later sections, are just as well documented as sqlite_master, and therefore just as arguably part of the public API.

Re: Doc about sqlite_master

Dominique Devienne
On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 2:03 PM Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 Aug 2019, at 11:54am, Dominique Devienne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > What other sqlite_* tables are you talking about?
> > sqlite_master is AFAIK the only table with a "fixed-name", that's part
> of the "public API" as previously discussed.
>
> I would argue that sqlite_sequence and sqlite_stat?, as documented in
>
> <https://www.sqlite.org/fileformat2.html#the_sqlite_sequence_table>
>
> and later sections, are just as well documented as sqlite_master, and
> therefore just as arguably part of the public API.

Right. As long as the page includes "master" in its title, as in
"sqlite_master and other built-in SQLite tables", makes sense.
Just an exhaustive list of such tables, with links to other places in the
doc about them, would be an improvement compare
to the current situation IMHO. --DD