Documentation update

Don V Nielsen
"For the purposes of unique indices, all NULL values are considered [to]
different from all other NULL values and are thus unique."

I think it should read "...NULL value are considered different..."

https://www.sqlite.org/lang_createindex.html

dvn

Re: Documentation update

Don V Nielsen
"to be", or not "to be"  :)

On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 7:08 PM, Don V Nielsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "For the purposes of unique indices, all NULL values are considered [to]
> different from all other NULL values and are thus unique."
>
> I think it should read "...NULL value are considered different..."
>
> https://www.sqlite.org/lang_createindex.html
>
> dvn

Re: Documentation update

On 9 Apr 2018, at 1:08am, Don V Nielsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "For the purposes of unique indices, all NULL values are considered [to]
> different from all other NULL values and are thus unique."
>
> I think it should read "...NULL value are considered different..."
>
> https://www.sqlite.org/lang_createindex.html

I agree with Mister Nielsen that the original can be better phrased, but  my English teacher would not forgive me if I did not suggest an even bigger change:

"For the purposes of unique indices, all NULL values are considered to different from all other NULL values and are thus unique."

should be

"In unique indices, each NULL value is considered different to every other NULL value.  Thus each NULL value is unique."

Now my teacher is at peace, you may do what what you want.  Since some edits are already being made to the page, one might as well suggest ...

-------------

"Or if no collating sequence is otherwise defined, the built-in BINARY collating sequence is used."

Should be

"If no collating sequence is defined for a text column, the built-in BINARY collating sequence is used."

-------------

"There are no arbitrary limits"

should be more like

"There is no arbitrary limit"

though perhaps you might want to leave out the word 'arbitrary'.  Or perhaps even leave out the entire sentence, since the spirit of SQLite is that limits to all entities are caused only by namespace exhaustion or memory/storage limits.

Re: Documentation update

Niall O'Reilly
On 9 Apr 2018, at 2:08, Simon Slavin wrote:

> "In unique indices, each NULL value is considered different to every other NULL value.  Thus each NULL value is unique."

For the sake of my late English teacher, I hope the revised document will read "... different __from__ ...".

Best regards,
Niall O'Reilly

Re: Documentation update

R Smith-2

On 2018/04/09 10:51 AM, Niall O'Reilly wrote:
> On 9 Apr 2018, at 2:08, Simon Slavin wrote:
>
>> "In unique indices, each NULL value is considered different to every other NULL value.  Thus each NULL value is unique."
> For the sake of my late English teacher, I hope the revised document will read "... different __from__ ...".

Gentlemen - shall we call pistols at dawn to settle this?
Or my favourite duel:  Face-pulling at midnight.  :)

If you prefer "different from" to "different to", it is simply likely
that you are American rather than English, in which language the
preference (I should say "habit" really) is "different to" rather than
"different from", but I gather from sources that "different from" is the
preference/habit in American English, plus they have been using the
newer variant: "different than" - which got criticized a lot by the old
guard, but with no real grounds.

The word "to" is a natural juxtaposition relation indicator. "A is next
to B", "I prefer coconut to mango" and "Apples are crunchy compared to
oranges". The same goes for "different to".

All this said, I think the overall tone of the SQLite documentation is
American (due the origin, no doubt), so I would vote to go with Niall's
"different from" based on that.

</2c>

Re: Documentation update

Niall O'Reilly
On 9 Apr 2018, at 11:02, R Smith wrote:

> Gentlemen - shall we call pistols at dawn to settle this?
> Or my favourite duel:  Face-pulling at midnight.  :)

8-)

/Niall

Re: Documentation update

Don V Nielsen
I'm adding to my bucket list meeting some of you in person.

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 5:58 AM, Niall O'Reilly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9 Apr 2018, at 11:02, R Smith wrote:
>
> > Gentlemen - shall we call pistols at dawn to settle this?
> > Or my favourite duel:  Face-pulling at midnight.  :)
>
> 8-)
>
> /Niall

Re: Documentation update

On 9 Apr 2018, at 11:02am, R Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you prefer "different from" to "different to", it is simply likely that you are American rather than English, in which language the preference (I should say "habit" really) is "different to" rather than "different from", but I gather from sources that "different from" is the preference/habit in American English, plus they have been using the newer variant: "different than" - which got criticized a lot by the old guard, but with no real grounds.

I agree.  This is a UK English vs. US English matter.  And since the document maintainers are USAsian, I am quite happy for "different from".

And now I have the Monkees song _Valerie_ running around my head.