Feature request: import MySQL dumps in CLI

Feature request: import MySQL dumps in CLI

Larry Brasfield
Mr. Kurz writes:
> I suppose I am not the only one having to convert between
> MySQL/MariaDB and SQLite databases every now and then. I
> know there are converters for MySQL dumps but none of any
> I have ever tried did work nearly reliable.

If you dislike the available converters and do not wish to
bother writing or adapting one to your tastes, you could use
any of several ETL tools, such as Talend or Pentahoe Kettle.
These tools are good at extracting data and loading it into
a(nother) database. You might have to handle getting your
schema translated, but that will mainly involve minor editing
of the converter outputs you have already obtained.

Mr. Kurz wrote further:
> So my suggestion would be to add an import feature to the
> CLI that allows to directly import MySQL/MariaDB dumps into
> an SQLite database keeping as many information as possible.
> As SQLite already has a complete SQL parser I expect much
> better results than with existing converters.

I highly doubt the SQLite team will undertake this task. They
Surely have the skill to do so, but their priority is the one
software product you desire to use, undoubtedly due to its
high utility.  I doubt that utility would exist if they were
to wander off tacking the conversion challenge for the other
popular database systems.

Best regards,
-
Larry Brasfield

Re: Feature request: import MySQL dumps in CLI

Thomas Kurz
> I highly doubt the SQLite team will undertake this task. They
> Surely have the skill to do so, but their priority is the one
> software product you desire to use, undoubtedly due to its
> high utility.  I doubt that utility would exist if they were
> to wander off tacking the conversion challenge for the other
> popular database systems.

Well, that's why I asked for an *import* support. It's widely spread practice to offer at least import capabilities from other software. The other way round would be up to MySql/MariaDB.

Re: Feature request: import MySQL dumps in CLI

Graham Holden
Wednesday, August 07, 2019, 9:16:17 PM, Thomas Kurz <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I highly doubt the SQLite team will undertake this task. They
>> Surely have the skill to do so, but their priority is the one
>> software product you desire to use, undoubtedly due to its
>> high utility.  I doubt that utility would exist if they were
>> to wander off tacking the conversion challenge for the other
>> popular database systems.

Another reason they might not want to is that by making it an
"official feature" then -- at least to some degree -- they would
need to track changes in MySQL/MariaDB that might break things.

Graham Holden

On 7 Aug 2019, at 9:16pm, Thomas Kurz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, that's why I asked for an *import* support. It's widely spread practice to offer at least import capabilities from other software.

This is what the .import function in SQLite's shell tool is for.  It reads a well-documented text format.  All you need to do is have a tool, supplied by the MySql/MariaDB development team which writes that format.

I do not think that you're going to see the SQLite development team write any code which depends on a library for another database system.  The commitment to upkeep as the library changes would be too expensive.  Bear in mind that anything added to SQLite has to be supported for the next 31 years because of existing commitments to existing consortium members.