Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

john.newby
Hi, I am doing my final year project/dissertation on "Creating a GUI to
SQLite"

I am after help for my analysis phase and would like any comments/help from
members or if you could put me in the right direction as to where I could
find out this information.

I would like information regarding SQLite for the following if at all
possible:-

Why users use SQLite instead of other SQL databases?
Would a GUI detract users from using SQLite?

Regarding a GUI to SQLite:-

What features a GUI MUST have?
What features you would LIKE a GUI to have?
What features you would NOT LIKE to have?

Any help on these questions or any other information you may feel would help
me on my journey would be greatfully appreciated.

You can contact me at my University email address on [hidden email]

Many thanks for your help.

John.

====
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and
confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take
no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this e-mail
to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail
from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request
under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving
Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any
losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.

Re: Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

John Stanton-3
john.newby wrote:

> Hi, I am doing my final year project/dissertation on "Creating a GUI to
> SQLite"
>
> I am after help for my analysis phase and would like any comments/help from
> members or if you could put me in the right direction as to where I could
> find out this information.
>
> I would like information regarding SQLite for the following if at all
> possible:-
>
> Why users use SQLite instead of other SQL databases?
SQLite has two fine features.  Firstly it is simple, lives in one file
and doesn't require a server process.  Secondly it implements all the
important elements of SQL.
> Would a GUI detract users from using SQLite?
There is a wagon load of GUIs to SQLite already.  They neither add nor
detract from the DBMS.

> Regarding a GUI to SQLite:-
>
> What features a GUI MUST have?
> What features you would LIKE a GUI to have?
> What features you would NOT LIKE to have?
This is like asking what features are needed in a coat without
specifying its intended usage.

> Any help on these questions or any other information you may feel would help
> me on my journey would be greatfully appreciated.
>
> You can contact me at my University email address on [hidden email]
>
> Many thanks for your help.
>
> John.
>

> ====
> This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and
> confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take
> no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this e-mail
> to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail
> from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request
> under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
> therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
> This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving
> Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any
> losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.

Re: Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

Clay Dowling
john.newby wrote:
> Why users use SQLite instead of other SQL databases?
> Would a GUI detract users from using SQLite?

I use SQLite as an embedded database for my content management system
CeaMuS (http://www.ceamus.com).  I use it because it allows me to
distribute an application that takes full advantage of a relational
database, but doesn't require any setup for the user.  It lets my app be
completely dependency free.

A GUI is completely irrelevant to me.  I need it in the way that a fish
needs a unicycle.  That said, I'm not Joe User.  I do know of users who
are not programmers who like the concept of SQLite.  For them a GUI
would be a most advantageous thing.

You should keep in mind though that in this case you suffer from Prior
Art.  Others have already put GUIs on SQLite.  At U.S. institutions at
least students are required to do some completely original work for the
dissertation.  It would seem then that you have another hurdle to cross:
 you application can't be just a GUI, it has to enable features that no
other GUI has allowed for users of SQLite.

Maybe an access-like interface that makes it easy to design forms and
reports?  I haven't done a full literature search on this matter so I
can't really say that this would be breaking new ground.

Clay Dowling

Re: Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

i-love-spam
john.newby wrote:
> Regarding a GUI to SQLite:-
>
> What features a GUI MUST have?
> What features you would LIKE a GUI to have?
> What features you would NOT LIKE to have?

My .02$:
gui is completely irrelevant to sqlite :)
gui could be a part of another separate application that could be used
as a tool in managing sqlite databases or something like this, but
sqlite itself doesn't need it in no way.

ps. Is your dissertation about that command line access tool ("sqlite")
that's comes with sqlite's distribution??

Re: Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

Ralf Junker
Hello John,

look here for SQLiteSpy, a popular SQLite GUI for Windows 32:

  http://www.yunqa.de/delphi/sqlitespy/

SQLiteSpy aims to take the philosophy behind SQLite to the GUI level:

* Ease of use: SQLiteSpy comes as a single *.exe file,
  with no installation required

* Simplicity: SQLiteSpy is simple and easy to use be intuition.

* Performance: SQLiteSpy is very fast and reports query times.

Some of the features asked for will be added in future releases:

* Import / Export
* Grid editing
* Unicode conversion
* Improved schema treeview

Please feel free to suggest more ...

Regards,

Ralf

Re: Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

JP-13
So in a nutshell you are asking the community to do your homework. What
a shame.

Start by analyzing the sqlite3 command line interface, make a GUI that
replicates that (and more, heck its a GUI), contribute it to the sqlite
project, THEN talk about your dissertation.

jp.

John Stanton wrote:

> john.newby wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am doing my final year project/dissertation on "Creating a GUI to
>> SQLite"
>>
>> I am after help for my analysis phase and would like any comments/help
>> from
>> members or if you could put me in the right direction as to where I could
>> find out this information.
>>
>> I would like information regarding SQLite for the following if at all
>> possible:-
>>
>> Why users use SQLite instead of other SQL databases?
>
> SQLite has two fine features.  Firstly it is simple, lives in one file
> and doesn't require a server process.  Secondly it implements all the
> important elements of SQL.
>
>> Would a GUI detract users from using SQLite?
>
> There is a wagon load of GUIs to SQLite already.  They neither add nor
> detract from the DBMS.
>

>> Regarding a GUI to SQLite:-
>>
>> What features a GUI MUST have?
>> What features you would LIKE a GUI to have?
>> What features you would NOT LIKE to have?
>
> This is like asking what features are needed in a coat without
> specifying its intended usage.
>

>> Any help on these questions or any other information you may feel
>> would help
>> me on my journey would be greatfully appreciated.
>>
>> You can contact me at my University email address on [hidden email]
>>
>> Many thanks for your help.
>>
>> John.
>>

>> ====
>> This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain
>> private and
>> confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee,
>> please take
>> no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this
>> e-mail
>> to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail
>> from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a
>> request
>> under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
>> therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
>> This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to
>> leaving
>> Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any
>> losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.

Re: Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

m christensen
I wouldn't be THIS hard on him, BUT...

juan perez wrote:

> So in a nutshell you are asking the community to do your homework.
> What a shame.
>
> Start by analyzing the sqlite3 command line interface, make a GUI that
> replicates that (and more, heck its a GUI), contribute it to the
> sqlite project, THEN talk about your dissertation.
>
> jp.

But, I'd presume the intent here is 'Experience' a software development
process.

Design and build in a vacuum and see what the users think after it's
done, as suggested above, is an all too common and WRONG
approach IMHO.
I don't think you are INTENDING to 'ask us to do your homework' but I
don't think you have yet done the work you need to
do before asking opinions. Final project or real-world-work the issues
are the same.

Mr. Newby you appear to have failed to do basic research into your
market or users needs.
First assess the need for your project.
It would appear you are under the assumption there are no GUI tools for
sqlite.
A Google search like "sqlite GUI" shows otherwise.

I DO think your general approach of asking people what they need or want
is a good one and could be
quite enlightening although probably not entirely along the lines you
probably first expected.

Do your research, figure out what YOU think the requirements and options
are.

Ask some direct and possibly leading questions but be open to answers
that may not be what you expect.

General open-ended questions may very well not spur any real discussion.
They often indicate you have not done your homework so-to-speak.
This applies even more in the 'Real World'.
I also see such questions in the real world as in indication of a  lack
of  commitment to the proposed project.
In short if YOU don't have the commitment to do your part FIRST why
should I spend a lot of time and effort on a response
you may or may not even look at before you flitter off to something else.

Just like in the real world some people may support your pet project,
some may be hostile, some couldn't care less and some
people think you 'shouldn't bother them with the details or questions'.
You will need to learn to deal with this too, it's part of the job.

Let's say you take this advice and look at "SQLite Analyzer"

You then come back to this group with an intelligent question such as...

"I noticed SQLite Analyzer has a drag-and-drop qry builder. Is this a
Feature anybody here would actually use?"

Due to the fact most people here are developers I'd ASSume the answer
would be a resounding
"NO. If you can't write a SQL Qry, you'd probably be better off using
Access or something..."

Then someone may chip in "You know I have no need, but the end users for
my app sure COULD use a nice
PDF-Generating  GUI Report Builder with a drag-and-drop Qry Builder..."

I'd sure Hope the intent of your project is NOT 'Write a PROGRAM to do
X' but to truly 'Learn how to develop an application
from inception thru needs analysis to development, debugging, and final
release and to provide a usable tool.'

This may not be an answer to the questions you thought you asked, but
IMHO it does provide
"other information 'I' feel would help YOU on YOUR journey"

Marc

> John Stanton wrote:
>
>> john.newby wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I am doing my final year project/dissertation on "Creating a GUI to
>>> SQLite"
>>>
>>> I am after help for my analysis phase and would like any
>>> comments/help from
>>> members or if you could put me in the right direction as to where I
>>> could
>>> find out this information.
>>>
>>> I would like information regarding SQLite for the following if at all
>>> possible:-
>>>
>>> Why users use SQLite instead of other SQL databases?
>>

>> SQLite has two fine features.  Firstly it is simple, lives in one
>> file and doesn't require a server process.  Secondly it implements
>> all the important elements of SQL.
>>
>>> Would a GUI detract users from using SQLite?
>>

>> There is a wagon load of GUIs to SQLite already.  They neither add
>> nor detract from the DBMS.
>>

>>> Regarding a GUI to SQLite:-
>>>
>>> What features a GUI MUST have?
>>> What features you would LIKE a GUI to have?
>>> What features you would NOT LIKE to have?
>>

>> This is like asking what features are needed in a coat without
>> specifying its intended usage.
>>

>>> Any help on these questions or any other information you may feel
>>> would help
>>> me on my journey would be greatfully appreciated.
>>>
>>> You can contact me at my University email address on
>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>>> Many thanks for your help.
>>>
>>> John.
>>>

>>> ====
>>> This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain
>>> private and
>>> confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee,
>>> please take
>>> no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to
>>> this e-mail
>>> to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic
>>> mail
>>> from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a
>>> request
>>> under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
>>> therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
>>> This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to
>>> leaving
>>> Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable
>>> for any
>>> losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.

Re: Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

Robert L Cochran
m christensen wrote:

> [...]
> Feature anybody here would actually use?"
>
> Due to the fact most people here are developers I'd ASSume the answer
> would be a resounding
> "NO. If you can't write a SQL Qry, you'd probably be better off using
> Access or something..."
>
> Then someone may chip in "You know I have no need, but the end users
> for my app sure COULD use a nice
> PDF-Generating  GUI Report Builder with a drag-and-drop Qry Builder..."
>
> I'd sure Hope the intent of your project is NOT 'Write a PROGRAM to do
> X' but to truly 'Learn how to develop an application
> from inception thru needs analysis to development, debugging, and
> final release and to provide a usable tool.'
>
> This may not be an answer to the questions you thought you asked, but
> IMHO it does provide
> "other information 'I' feel would help YOU on YOUR journey"

This is a nice response to the issue. I still remember my own student
days when I'd put much effort into my papers. There was no internet back
then. To do my research, I hoofed it from library to library, lab to
lab, office to office. I'm a lot older now, and have the incredible
power of the internet to help me. I still am a student and still try to
learn new things. It's not easy, and won't always offer instant
gratification. But in the long run it counts for something. It's better
to learn something new than to sit in a lawn chair swatting flies!

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA

Re: Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

John Newby
No, I'm not asking the community to do my homework for me, I need to do a
user analysis phase for my dissertation, and as I don't know anyone who uses
SQLite this is the only place I can get my questions answered.

Many thanks.

John.

On 13/12/05, juan perez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So in a nutshell you are asking the community to do your homework. What
> a shame.
>
> Start by analyzing the sqlite3 command line interface, make a GUI that
> replicates that (and more, heck its a GUI), contribute it to the sqlite
> project, THEN talk about your dissertation.
>
> jp.
>
> John Stanton wrote:
> > john.newby wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, I am doing my final year project/dissertation on "Creating a GUI to
> >> SQLite"
> >>
> >> I am after help for my analysis phase and would like any comments/help
> >> from
> >> members or if you could put me in the right direction as to where I
> could
> >> find out this information.
> >>
> >> I would like information regarding SQLite for the following if at all
> >> possible:-
> >>
> >> Why users use SQLite instead of other SQL databases?
> >
> > SQLite has two fine features.  Firstly it is simple, lives in one file
> > and doesn't require a server process.  Secondly it implements all the
> > important elements of SQL.
> >
> >> Would a GUI detract users from using SQLite?
> >
> > There is a wagon load of GUIs to SQLite already.  They neither add nor
> > detract from the DBMS.
> >

> >> Regarding a GUI to SQLite:-
> >>
> >> What features a GUI MUST have?
> >> What features you would LIKE a GUI to have?
> >> What features you would NOT LIKE to have?
> >
> > This is like asking what features are needed in a coat without
> > specifying its intended usage.
> >

> >> Any help on these questions or any other information you may feel
> >> would help
> >> me on my journey would be greatfully appreciated.
> >>
> >> You can contact me at my University email address on
> [hidden email]
> >>
> >> Many thanks for your help.
> >>
> >> John.
> >>

> >> ====
> >> This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain
> >> private and
> >> confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee,
> >> please take
> >> no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this
> >> e-mail
> >> to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic
> mail
> >> from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a
> >> request
> >> under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
> >> therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
> >> This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to
> >> leaving
> >> Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for
> any
> >> losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.

Re: Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

Noel Frankinet
John Newby wrote:

>No, I'm not asking the community to do my homework for me, I need to do a
>user analysis phase for my dissertation, and as I don't know anyone who uses
>SQLite this is the only place I can get my questions answered.
>
>Many thanks.
>
>John.
>
>On 13/12/05, juan perez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>So in a nutshell you are asking the community to do your homework. What
>>a shame.
>>
>>Start by analyzing the sqlite3 command line interface, make a GUI that
>>replicates that (and more, heck its a GUI), contribute it to the sqlite
>>project, THEN talk about your dissertation.
>>
>>jp.
>>
>>John Stanton wrote:

>>could

>>>SQLite has two fine features.  Firstly it is simple, lives in one file
>>>and doesn't require a server process.  Secondly it implements all the
>>>important elements of SQL.

>>>There is a wagon load of GUIs to SQLite already.  They neither add nor
>>>detract from the DBMS.

>>>This is like asking what features are needed in a coat without
>>>specifying its intended usage.

>>[hidden email]

>>mail

>>any

Hello,

I would propose :

Creates a stand alone explorer like utility.
Left pane a tree view showing table, views and indexes.
Right pane, a tab control where each opened table will be displayed.

In the tree view, a context menu to open a table, create a new table,
create an index, a view, drop a table and so on.
In the right pane use a virtual ListView control to show the data.
A shell like control to enter direct sql commands.
A form editor to defines editing mask (saved in xml of course and in a
"system table").
A small scripting language (lua ?) to create user defined commands.

There must be dialog boxes or wizard to help the creation of table, and
data query.
There must be facilities to import and export data in various format.

Utility must be stand alone, does not depends on any runtime besides sqlite.
Must be cross platform, so use wxwindows, or qt, and run on a PDA.
Must be open source, BSD licensed or public domain so that I can steal it.

Anything else ?

Regards

--
Noël Frankinet
Gistek Software SA
http://www.gistek.net

Re: Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

John Newby
P.S.  I can't start to build it until I have done the analysis of what I am
trying to build, that is why I am asking what people would like out of a
GUI.

> [...]

> >> confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee,
> >> please take
> >> no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this
> >> e-mail
> >> to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic
> mail
> >> from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a
> >> request
> >> under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
> >> therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
> >> This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to
> >> leaving
> >> Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for
> any
> >> losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.

Re: Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

Give him a break!  He is working smart, not hard.

"Who cares whether the cat is black or white when you want to catch
mice"  - Deng Xiaoping.

m christensen wrote:

> [...]
> X' but to truly 'Learn how to develop an application
> from inception thru needs analysis to development, debugging, and final
> release and to provide a usable tool.'
>
> This may not be an answer to the questions you thought you asked, but
> IMHO it does provide
> "other information 'I' feel would help YOU on YOUR journey"
>
> Marc
>
>> John Stanton wrote:

>>> SQLite has two fine features.  Firstly it is simple, lives in one
>>> file and doesn't require a server process.  Secondly it implements
>>> all the important elements of SQL.

>>> There is a wagon load of GUIs to SQLite already.  They neither add
>>> nor detract from the DBMS.

>>> This is like asking what features are needed in a coat without
>>> specifying its intended usage.

RE: Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

Fred Williams

In that case, from a users standpoint, SQLite basically looks no
different or has any unique requirements outside the realm of any SQL
based relational database.  The only exception to this generalization is
the SQLite environment is more simplistic than most Client Server /
Enterprise level Databases.  Examining the GUI's of several databases
other than SQLite and then applying the limitations and minor unique
requirements (i.e. no full ALTER TABLE support and etc.) of SQLite
should produce a reasonable SQLite GUI specification.

THEN, run that work product by this group and you may get a little more
support.

Fred

ok, ok, I stand corrected.  I was a little harsh.  But you first need to
  look at current offerings out there like sqlite3explorer, sqlitespy,
to name a few.

Here's my $0.02:

10 things I would like in a Sqlite GUI:

1. Cross platform (C/C++ based, not Delphi)
2. Open source
3. 100% sqlite3 command line exe compatibility
4. Plug-in capable (for user-defined functions/collations)
5. Query management (save/load typed-in queries)
6. XML export (wizard?)
7. Visual data definition tools (create tables, columns, etc. without
typing SQL)
8. Visual performance aids like a user-friendly display of EXPLAIN output.
9. "Lite" in the same spirit as sqlite itself.  Make it fit completely
in a 1.44 diskette or less.
10. QBE "and" the usual SQL window on top, results on bottom grid
interface (prereably tabbed) of what it created.

Good luck with your project!

jp.

John Newby wrote:
> P.S.  I can't start to build it until I have done the analysis of what I am
> trying to build, that is why I am asking what people would like out of a
> GUI.
>
> John.

RE: Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

john.newby
No, It's OK, I value every piece of feedback, whether it be good or bad,
that way I can learn from my mistakes and try and do better in the future.

Keep all your feedback coming, you are all being a great help.

I thank you all for your time and patience.

John.

m christensen wrote:

> [...]
> with a drag-and-drop Qry Builder..."
>
> I'd sure Hope the intent of your project is NOT 'Write a PROGRAM to do
> X' but to truly 'Learn how to develop an application from inception
> thru needs analysis to development, debugging, and final release and
> to provide a usable tool.'
>
> This may not be an answer to the questions you thought you asked, but
> IMHO it does provide "other information 'I' feel would help YOU on
> YOUR journey"
>
> Marc
>
>> John Stanton wrote:

>>> SQLite has two fine features.  Firstly it is simple, lives in one
>>> file and doesn't require a server process.  Secondly it implements
>>> all the important elements of SQL.

>>> There is a wagon load of GUIs to SQLite already.  They neither add
>>> nor detract from the DBMS.

>>> This is like asking what features are needed in a coat without

This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by the
NorMAN MailScanner Service and is believed to be clean.

The NorMAN MailScanner Service is operated by Information Systems and
Services, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

====
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and
confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take
no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this e-mail
to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail
from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request
under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving
Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any
losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.

Re: Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

m christensen
I hope I was clear in my post.
'I' didn't see your post as asking US to do YOUR homework.

What you are doing is needs analysis and by definition requires 'help'
or input from others. This is not doing YOUR work for you.

On the other hand needs analysis is much more complex than just asking
users what they want.

Most of the time they simply don't know.

Sometimes, and much lest often than some arrogant developers think, they
are wrong about what they really need.

Sometimes you need to stir the pot some to get people thinking.

Sometimes need to show them potential options to get them thinking.

It was about to die out until Juan called you a cheat and I 'defended'
you by saying you just didn't know what you were doing.. ;-).
(Sorry Juan, I know you didn't say 'cheat', that's MY emphasis...)

Very often the process of getting user input is just like this.
Sometimes we spend more time trying to engage the users in a dialog and
playing politics that actual technical analysis.

It goes with the job, those skills are just as important in the real
world as the technical analysis.

Looking at existing or similar products is also more than just an exercise.
You need to USE them.
Figure out What Works, What Sucks and Why and learn from man-years of
other peoples work AND mistakes.
I'd suggest you look at OTHER database GUI interfaces as well.
I'd highly suggest you look as a tool called 'TOAD'. There are versions
for Oracle, SQL Server and I think one
of the open-source databases.
Steal ideas, concepts and copy 'what works' that is how the industry
works, and why not.
Is is 'Stealing' to start with work done by Newton or Pascal rather then
reinvent the wheel???

IF it were me, and IF there is a requirement (or suggestion) that you
build something that doesn't exist.
I'd finish your analysis of existing GUIs.
DOCUMENT, in your paper What you did and why.

Which of the following do you think would get high marks and which one
tags you as a slacker...

I was assigned a project to build a GUI for SQLite, but there was one,
so I did X instead.

or

Initial needs analysis shows 5 existing GUI interfaces for SQLite. They
are A, B, C, D, E. (With REAL details, authors, vendors, etc...)
These products range in price from free for products A, C & D to $129.95
for product B.
They run under the following operating systems...
They have the following common and distinct features...
They appear to have a following or market penetration of X....
Analysis shows the market/need/niche for a GUI for SQLite to be less
than initially expected.
Investigation and analysis related to the initial product direction DID
however turn up several needs/gaps/potential product niches
that warranted further investigation.
Further investigation showed a real need for a GUI reporting tool to
enable developers and end-users to quickly and accurately
develop enterprise class reports and logs from embedded applications. I
decided to provide a library and framework to allow
an integrated or stand-alone reporting tool for SQLite databases.

Even IF there is a 'rule' you need to write something unique and had to
switch because a similar tool exists, I would make no mention
of the fact. I WOULD talk about 'the product', needs, demand, market and
existing products instead. It shows you are looking at this from a
real-world
perspective rather than 'a class assignment'. Then again some profs.
think university IS the real-world... ;-).

I classify this a the difference between a student vs. a professional, a
coder vs. an application developer.

Just like in the real world, I'd keep your supervisor 'in the loop' if
you need to change direction, I'd also talk to him in terms as shown
above for the
reasoning behind the switch and get 'sign-off'.

I'd also let him know it took 'a lot of searching, but you found some
GUIs already exist', sounds better than 'there are like a hundred
already, what were
you thinking..." ;-).

I bet you have seen the peak on responses to your initial line of
questions.

You will need to figure out how to keep the group interested in YOUR pet
project to get a lot of further input.

There were several product and feature ideas in those messages, I'd look
at several of them seriously and incorporate them in further discourse.

Marc

Re: Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

Gerry Snyder
Robert L Cochran wrote:

> .... It's better to learn something new than to sit in a lawn chair
> swatting flies!

This thread has been interesting to follow, since one of my main uses
for computers is finding projects to work on in a futile but enjoyable
attempt to keep my brain from ossifying. The latest has been writing a
GUI for sqlite in Tcl/Tk.

It started when in my musings with sqlite I realized I couldn't remember
the names of my tables and the fields in them, and always had to have
two instances of the CLI program and/or Tcl open; one for the work at
hand and one to show the structure of the file. So the first need was
for a window to show that.

Of course it had to be able to open an existing file or create a new one.

Since my understanding of my needs kept growing so did my data tables,
and I added a complete Alter Table function. This is one of the biggest
hunks of the script. A much smaller one is used to add a new table.

Several of my tables have optional fields at the end, not always
supplied by the input source, so I wrote an Import function, with
user-defined delimiters, which has the option of rejecting or padding
input lines which have an insufficient number of fields.

As I did things in various directories I kept losing little Tcl routines
I used for various functions, so I added the capability to store them in
and execute them from the database. [puts] and [gets] were redefioned to
work in the Tk environment. There are also windows for executing single
lines of SQL or Tcl.

When I got tired of the data displays not being aligned I started using
tktable. This allowed spreadsheet-like editing of data--before that I
had used stand-alone editing windows.

When I decided to bite the bullet and make the move from SQLite2 to
SQLite3 I added a conversion function (bidirectional).

About the only other thing it does, and very poorly at that, is a Help
function, which currently merely lists a text file.

I wrote my own because I hate using a tool that does _almost_ everything
I want, but needs help from another program or two to finish the task.
So, my job has been much easier than Mr. Newby's. I had the luxury of
creating things as needed, no need to implement the desire of others,
and, at least most of the time, doing it on my own schedule.

Good luck Mr. Newby, and have fun. SQLite is a wonderful environment,
and this list is a great resource.

Gerry

RE: Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

john.newby
Hi Gerry, thanks for you comments and words of luck, I will certainly need
them.

Keep all your comments coming people.

Thanks again.

John.

> [...]

Services, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

====
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and
confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take
no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this e-mail
to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail
from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request
under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving
Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any
losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.

RE: Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

Hi Marc, yes you were clear in your post, I know that you came to my defence
and if it wasn't for yours and Juan's comments this thread would most
certainly have died a death by now but I am continually receiving excellent
comments from people.

I would like to thank you personally aswell Marc, your comments have been
invaluable to the direction in which my project has taken over the past few
days.

I am currently looking at GUIs to other SQL databases apart from SQLite,
namely MySQL, PostgreSQL and MS Access(this is my non-open-source,
non-cross-platform database that I will evaluate).  Thank you for suggesting
Toad, it is a GUI to MySQL which is one I am investigation so will come in
handy.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all again and any other
suggestions/comments would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.

John.

losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.

RE: Final Year Project/Dissertation help required!!!!

Clay Dowling
John,

There's a package often found in the discount aisles of computer stores
called My Database.  My father (who doesn't pretend to know anything about
databases or programming) uses it for his business and personal uses.  The
tool looked absolutely brilliant from the perspective of making it easy
for a non-database person to store their data in a logical way.  You might
want to examine that project as well.

Clay
--
Simple Content Management