First beta for SQLite 3.18.0.

Richard Hipp-3
The SQLite 3.18.0 release is forecast to occur within about two weeks.
A snapshot of the latest amalgamation source code is available at

    https://www.sqlite.org/download.html

Please review the changes and try out the latest code.  Report any
issues or concerns on this mailing list, or directly to me at the
email shown below.  Your feedback is important.

Draft documentation is available at

     https://www.sqlite.org/draft/index.html
     https://www.sqlite.org/draft/releaselog/current.html

The release checklist is on-line at

     https://www.sqlite.org/checklists/3180000/index

The 3.18.0 release will occur when the above checklist goes all green.
We expect start marking off checklist items later this week or early
next week.  (Test procedure review - item 1 - might be checked off a
little sooner.)

If you access SQLite source code using a local Fossil client, please
note that Fossil version 2.0 or later is necessary to see SQLite
changes since 2017-03-12.  Precompiled binaries and easy-to-compile
source code for Fossil are available at
https://www.fossil-scm.org/fossil/uv/download.html if you need to
upgrade.

Thank you for taking the time to review this beta.

Re: First beta for SQLite 3.18.0.

Simon Slavin-3

On 20 Mar 2017, at 1:06pm, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

>     https://www.sqlite.org/draft/index.html

In <https://www.sqlite.org/draft/pragma.html#pragma_optimize>

" • (Not yet implemented) Create indexes that might have been helpful to recent queries."

—> If I recall a previous conversation correctly, it might clarify things to make this sentence end "queries executed by this connection.".  On the other hand you may have changed your idea about how this should work and that may no longer be accurate.

"The default MASK is and alway shall be 0xfffe. "

—> "always"

If it’s possible to specify masks using BLOB-type hex values, could you provide an example which shows how ?  Simply saying that "PRAGMA optimize(0x2);" works would be good enough.

"In the current implementation, a table is analyzed if only if"

—> "analyzed only if"

" • Debugging mode. Do not actually perform any optimizations but instead return one line of text for each optimization that would have been done."

—> The section describes what is returned in debugging mode, but not what is returned in normal mode.  Presumably it returns that same text.

———

I see two patterns of use for this.  Some programmers will just use normal mode.  Others will use debugging mode first, and count the number of lines returned.  If the count is non-zero they will put up a dialog telling the user of a possible delay, allowing them to pick whether the optimizations are done or not.

On 3/20/17, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> " • (Not yet implemented) Create indexes that might have been helpful to
> recent queries."
>
> —> If I recall a previous conversation correctly, it might clarify things to
> make this sentence end "queries executed by this connection.".  On the other
> hand you may have changed your idea about how this should work and that may
> no longer be accurate.

The decision might also be predicated on queries from prior
connections using information saved by the 0x0004 bit.  Or this
feature may never be implemented :-)

All other corrections implemented.

On 20 Mar 2017, at 2:13pm, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All other corrections implemented.

Check "alway" on the current mask sentence again.  No correction shown when I retrieve the page.

Re: First beta for SQLite 3.18.0.

Richard Hipp-3
On 3/20/17, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20 Mar 2017, at 2:13pm, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> All other corrections implemented.
>
> Check "alway" on the current mask sentence again.  No correction shown when
> I retrieve the page.

More changes.  Please Reload one more time.

On 20 Mar 2017, at 2:42pm, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> More changes.  Please Reload one more time.

The changes are good but it’s still showing up as "alway" for me.  I even tried a different browser.

On 20 Mar 2017, at 2:45pm, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20 Mar 2017, at 2:42pm, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> More changes.  Please Reload one more time.
>
> The changes are good but it’s still showing up as "alway" for me.  I even tried a different browser.

Ignore that.  Now showing up correctly as "always".