Format of sqlite-users digests.

Randall Smith
I don’t want to sound negative or get massively flamed, and I love getting the daily SQLite mailing list digests, but has any thought been given to making this material easier to read and digest?  The 1970s style all-ASCII format is I’m sure simple to assemble and maintain, but it is extremely hard to parse and as a result much less valuable than it could be.  I usually grit my teeth when I realize I really should read the discussion on a particular topic.  The information is also (AFAIK) lost if you don’t happen to see/read/archive it when it flows by.

I believe the technology for this kind of thing has advanced substantially since the ARPAnet (😊), and I regularly receive other material that is much easier and more pleasant to access.  I don’t have any specific proposals; ideas could range from just better and easier-to-read formatting of the present mailings to a shift to some stack overflow-like website where issues and questions can be discussed, upvoted, and searched.  I know SQLite is not a big organization and I’m sure they don’t want to be in the business of managing a complicated online presence, but I assume this can be outsourced.

Again, I love the product and value the community; just bringing this up as a question.

Randall Smith

Re: Format of sqlite-users digests.

Richard Hipp-3
On 2/26/18, Randall Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don’t want to sound negative or get massively flamed, and I love getting
> the daily SQLite mailing list digests, but has any thought been given to
> making this material easier to read and digest?  The 1970s style all-ASCII
> format is I’m sure simple to assemble and maintain, but it is extremely hard
> to parse and as a result much less valuable than it could be.

We use a 3rd party mailing list manager:  GNU MailMan.  You'll need to
take up your concerns with them, I'm afraid.  I know nothing about the
MailMan code.

Re: Format of sqlite-users digests.

Peter da Silva
On 2/26/18, 12:24 PM, "Richard Hipp" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We use a 3rd party mailing list manager:  GNU MailMan.  You'll need to take up your concerns with them, I'm afraid.  I know nothing about the MailMan code.

Mailman supports mime-style digests, Randall may prefer to get those rather than plaintext? It would depend on how their email software handles multipart/digest.