Fossil Public Accounts

Jose Isaias Cabrera-4

Is there a Fossil public account site like git?  I believe there are a lot of people that can use something like that.  Thoughts?  Or not.

josé

Re: Fossil Public Accounts

J. King-3

<http://chiselapp.com/>
--
J. King

Re: Fossil Public Accounts

Jose Isaias Cabrera-4

J. King, on Tuesday, October 1, 2019 10:02 AM, wrote...

> On October 1, 2019 9:13:47 a.m. EDT, Jose Isaias Cabrera, on
> >
> >Is there a Fossil public account site like git?  I believe there are a
> >lot of people that can use something like that.  Thoughts?  Or not.

[clip]

> <http://chiselapp.com/>

Thanks, J.

josé

Re: Fossil Public Accounts

Warren Young
On Oct 1, 2019, at 8:02 AM, J. King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On October 1, 2019 9:13:47 a.m. EDT, Jose Isaias Cabrera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a Fossil public account site like git?

Git doesn’t provide public accounts.

There are a number of *proprietary web services* that offer Git hosting, but don’t conflate the two concepts: by offering up your content to those services, you’re buying into a certain amount of lock-in.

For example, GitHub “issues” aren’t part of the Git repo they host for you, so cloning it doesn’t get you a copy of those issues, and pushing that repo up to a competing service doesn’t restore those in its equivalent issue tracking system.

Fossil doesn’t have that problem.  It’s [all-in-one][1].  If you clone one of my repos and I later disappear, you can stand your clone right back up on your own substrate.

[1]: https://fossil-scm.org/fossil/doc/trunk/www/fossil-v-git.wiki

> <http://chiselapp.com/>

As well, there are [many ways][2] to set up a public Fossil server yourself.  My own public Fossil instances run on the cheapest bare-bones VPS instance my provider offers, and I’m still vastly underutilizing the power they give me for my $5/month.

That VPS currently serves four separate Fossil repos, handles my domain’s email, serves the static parts of my web site, serves my photo gallery, and probably does a few other things I’ve forgotten about since setting them up.

[2]: http://fossil-scm.org/fossil/doc/trunk/www/server/

Re: Fossil Public Accounts

Jose Isaias Cabrera-4

Warren Young, on Tuesday, October 1, 2019 12:38 PM, wrote...

> On Oct 1, 2019, at 8:02 AM, J. King, on
> >
> > On October 1, 2019 9:13:47 a.m. EDT, Jose Isaias Cabrera, on
> >>
> >> Is there a Fossil public account site like git?
>
> Git doesn’t provide public accounts.

I don't use Git. :-)

> As well, there are [many ways][2] to set up a public Fossil server yourself.  My own public Fossil instances run on the cheapest bare-bones VPS instance my provider offers, and I’m still vastly underutilizing the power they give me for my $5/month.

I do have it, but right now I am in between houses. ;-)  Thanks for your support.

josé