Fwd: OT: Oracle functions for SQlite

Petite Abeille-2
Perhaps of interest:

http://sqlite-libs.cis.ksu.edu

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Stéphane Faroult <[hidden email]>
> Subject: OT: Oracle functions for SQlite
> Date: September 8, 2015 at 2:30:24 AM GMT+2
> To: "Oracle-L (E-mail)" <[hidden email]>
>
> I don't know if there are many people on the list using SQLite, but I use it more and more often; teaching SQL is one reason (give a master file to students, and let them create, drop tables, run DML at will without any worry, and no need to bother about having a conveniently set server), another one is consulting, whenever I'd *like* to store some data but I am either unauthorized or unwilling to create my stuff on the database I'm working on. Great also for implementing the poor man's performance pack - dump your v$ every so often to a SQLite file, and you have something far more flexible than statspack.
> The only snag is that SQLite is a bit weak function-wise. I have last spring given as assignment to the students in one of my classes the writing for SQLite of functions available in other products. Making everything homogeneous, writing a few functions I couldn't decently ask of undergraduates (even if I usually set the bar rather high), substituting my own date functions to the standard Unix ones     so as to have the same behavior as Oracle in October 1582 and so forth has been a huge endeavor (not finished), it may still be a bit rough here and there but I have started publishing this collective effort as an open source library.
>
> It's at http://sqlite-libs.cis.ksu.edu/ <http://sqlite-libs.cis.ksu.edu/>
>
> There isn't EVERYTHING, but all the classic functions are there.
>
> Enjoy.
>
> Stéphane Faroult

Re: Fwd: OT: Oracle functions for SQlite

Domingo Alvarez Duarte-2
Hello !

It's nice that you shared this, probably if you also host/mirror the on
github you'll get an even broader audience and probably feedback and
enhancements.

I suggest to to fork this project https://github.com/mackyle/sqlite it's
almost daily updated with the https://www.sqlite.org and I hope contributions
from third party like your will be around it (because right now is the
best/updated mirror).

I personally have a fork of it at https://github.com/mingodad/sqlite .

Cheers !

>  Tue Sep 08 2015 7:46:22 pm CEST CEST from "Petite Abeille"
><[hidden email]>  Subject: [sqlite] Fwd: OT: Oracle functions for
>SQlite
>
>  Perhaps of interest:
>
> http://sqlite-libs.cis.ksu.edu
>

>>Begin forwarded message:
>>
>> From: Stéphane Faroult <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: OT: Oracle functions for SQlite
>> Date: September 8, 2015 at 2:30:24 AM GMT+2
>> To: "Oracle-L (E-mail)" <[hidden email]>
>>
>> I don't know if there are many people on the list using SQLite, but I use
>>it more and more often; teaching SQL is one reason (give a master file to
>>students, and let them create, drop tables, run DML at will without any
>>worry, and no need to bother about having a conveniently set server), another
>>one is consulting, whenever I'd *like* to store some data but I am either
>>unauthorized or unwilling to create my stuff on the database I'm working on.
>>Great also for implementing the poor man's performance pack - dump your v$
>>every so often to a SQLite file, and you have something far more flexible
>>than statspack.
>> The only snag is that SQLite is a bit weak function-wise. I have last
>>spring given as assignment to the students in one of my classes the writing
>>for SQLite of functions available in other products. Making everything
>>homogeneous, writing a few functions I couldn't decently ask of
>>undergraduates (even if I usually set the bar rather high), substituting my
>>own date functions to the standard Unix ones so as to have the same behavior
>>as Oracle in October 1582 and so forth has been a huge endeavor (not
>>finished), it may still be a bit rough here and there but I have started
>>publishing this collective effort as an open source library.
>>
>> It's at http://sqlite-libs.cis.ksu.edu/ <http://sqlite-libs.cis.ksu.edu/>
>>
>> There isn't EVERYTHING, but all the classic functions are there.
>>
>> Enjoy.
>>
>> Stéphane Faroult

Re: Fwd: OT: Oracle functions for SQlite

Charles Leifer
This is really cool! I wonder if anyone else has collections of neat
user-defined functions/aggregates/virtual tables/etc? Is there a canonical
repository of these? Anyone know of some interesting ones?

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Petite Abeille <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Perhaps of interest:
>
> http://sqlite-libs.cis.ksu.edu
>

> > Begin forwarded message:
> >
> > From: Stéphane Faroult <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: OT: Oracle functions for SQlite
> > Date: September 8, 2015 at 2:30:24 AM GMT+2
> > To: "Oracle-L (E-mail)" <[hidden email]>
> >
> > I don't know if there are many people on the list using SQLite, but I
> use it more and more often; teaching SQL is one reason (give a master file
> to students, and let them create, drop tables, run DML at will without any
> worry, and no need to bother about having a conveniently set server),
> another one is consulting, whenever I'd *like* to store some data but I am
> either unauthorized or unwilling to create my stuff on the database I'm
> working on. Great also for implementing the poor man's performance pack -
> dump your v$ every so often to a SQLite file, and you have something far
> more flexible than statspack.
> > The only snag is that SQLite is a bit weak function-wise. I have last
> spring given as assignment to the students in one of my classes the writing
> for SQLite of functions available in other products. Making everything
> homogeneous, writing a few functions I couldn't decently ask of
> undergraduates (even if I usually set the bar rather high), substituting my
> own date functions to the standard Unix ones     so as to have the same
> behavior as Oracle in October 1582 and so forth has been a huge endeavor
> (not finished), it may still be a bit rough here and there but I have
> started publishing this collective effort as an open source library.
> >
> > It's at http://sqlite-libs.cis.ksu.edu/ <http://sqlite-libs.cis.ksu.edu/
> >

> > There isn't EVERYTHING, but all the classic functions are there.
> >
> > Enjoy.
> >
> > Stéphane Faroult

Re: Fwd: OT: Oracle functions for SQlite

Domingo Alvarez Duarte-2
Hello !

Due the way sqlite manages it's source code (with fossil-scm) I propose to
anyone that has any extension/custom sqlite code fork this project on github:

https://github.com/mackyle/sqlite

And publish it there.

Cheers !

>  Sun Sep 13 2015 6:42:27 am CEST CEST from "Charles Leifer"
><[hidden email]>  Subject: Re: [sqlite] Fwd: OT: Oracle functions for
>SQlite
>
>  This is really cool! I wonder if anyone else has collections of neat
> user-defined functions/aggregates/virtual tables/etc? Is there a canonical
> repository of these? Anyone know of some interesting ones?
>
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Petite Abeille <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>>Perhaps of interest:
>>
>> http://sqlite-libs.cis.ksu.edu
>>

>>>Begin forwarded message:
>>>
>>> From: Stéphane Faroult <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: OT: Oracle functions for SQlite
>>> Date: September 8, 2015 at 2:30:24 AM GMT+2
>>> To: "Oracle-L (E-mail)" <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> I don't know if there are many people on the list using SQLite, but I

>>  use it more and more often; teaching SQL is one reason (give a master
>>file
>> to students, and let them create, drop tables, run DML at will without any
>> worry, and no need to bother about having a conveniently set server),
>> another one is consulting, whenever I'd *like* to store some data but I am
>> either unauthorized or unwilling to create my stuff on the database I'm
>> working on. Great also for implementing the poor man's performance pack -
>> dump your v$ every so often to a SQLite file, and you have something far
>> more flexible than statspack.
>>
>>>The only snag is that SQLite is a bit weak function-wise. I have last

>>  spring given as assignment to the students in one of my classes the
>>writing
>> for SQLite of functions available in other products. Making everything
>> homogeneous, writing a few functions I couldn't decently ask of
>> undergraduates (even if I usually set the bar rather high), substituting
>>my
>> own date functions to the standard Unix ones so as to have the same
>> behavior as Oracle in October 1582 and so forth has been a huge endeavor
>> (not finished), it may still be a bit rough here and there but I have
>> started publishing this collective effort as an open source library.
>>

>>>It's at http://sqlite-libs.cis.ksu.edu/ <http://sqlite-libs.cis.ksu.edu/
>>>

>>> There isn't EVERYTHING, but all the classic functions are there.
>>>
>>> Enjoy.
>>>
>>> Stéphane Faroult

Re: OT: Oracle functions for SQlite

Warren Young-2
On Sep 13, 2015, at 3:06 AM, Domingo Alvarez Duarte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Due the way sqlite manages it's source code (with fossil-scm) I propose to
> anyone that has any extension/custom sqlite code fork this project on github:

Fossil allows anonymous clones, and the Fossil server on sqlite.org is configured not to allow checkins from anonymous users.  Therefore, your local changes affect your personal repository only, just as with Github.  The only difference is that your personal fork of the repository isn’t automatically shared with the entire world.

When the time does come to share, Fossil has the concept of “bundles,” which allows you to send a subset of your local repository to someone with permission to check it in, preserving all details of the change you made.  Not just file content changes, but also checkin comments, branch points, merges, etc.

Fossil bundles are far better than patch(1) files if your change is complicated enough to need more than a single checkin.

  http://fossil-scm.org/xfer/help?cmd=bundle

The simplest option is “export --branch”, since that isolates your local changes from any made to the main repo’s trunk since your initial clone.

Re: Fwd: OT: Oracle functions for SQlite

John Gillespie-2
On 13 September 2015 at 10:06, Domingo Alvarez Duarte <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello !
>
> Due the way sqlite manages it's source code (with fossil-scm) I propose to
> anyone that has any extension/custom sqlite code fork this project on
> github:
>

> https://github.com/mackyle/sqlite
>
> And publish it there.

Is there an equivalent collection of Tcl - sqlite functions anywhere?
I have my own 'initcap' and 'decode' functions.

John Gillespie