GUI INfo

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GUI INfo

Maxine Nietz
I am an experienced Access VBA programmer. I know about the SQLite commands
to create and manipulate data in tables and queries.

 

What I want to know is where do I find info on creating a graphical user
interface such as menus, forms and reports. What additional programs are
required to do this?

 

Thanks in advance,

Max

 

_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://sqlite.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GUI INfo

Warren Young
On 9/10/2014 14:56, Maxine Nietz wrote:
> I am an experienced Access VBA programmer. I know about the SQLite commands
> to create and manipulate data in tables and queries.
>
>
>
> What I want to know is where do I find info on creating a graphical user
> interface such as menus, forms and reports. What additional programs are
> required to do this?

C#.
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://sqlite.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GUI INfo

Teg-3
In reply to this post by Maxine Nietz
Hello Maxine,

It's totally unrelated to Sqlite though.

Pick a programming language that works with Sqlite and make a GUI with
this programming language.

C

Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 4:56:39 PM, you wrote:

MN> I am an experienced Access VBA programmer. I know about the SQLite commands
MN> to create and manipulate data in tables and queries.

MN>  

MN> What I want to know is where do I find info on creating a graphical user
MN> interface such as menus, forms and reports. What additional programs are
MN> required to do this?

MN>  

MN> Thanks in advance,

MN> Max

MN>  

MN> _______________________________________________
MN> sqlite-users mailing list
MN> [hidden email]
MN> http://sqlite.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users



--
Best regards,
 Teg                            mailto:[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://sqlite.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GUI INfo

Ned Fleming
In reply to this post by Maxine Nietz

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 13:56:39 -0700, "Maxine Nietz"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I am an experienced Access VBA programmer. I know about the SQLite commands
>to create and manipulate data in tables and queries.

You might want to use Visual Basic, a superset of VBA.


http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-express-vs.aspx

Google for tutorials.

For something completely different, tcl/tk is (I think) pretty
easy to grasp, plus it's cross-platform.

--
Ned

_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://sqlite.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GUI INfo

FarSight Data Systems
In reply to this post by Teg-3
Max,

I'm rurrently creating an application with sqlite using python and wxpython
for the gui.  It's a great combo and working out nicely.

Mark


On Tuesday, September 09, 2014 05:06:53 PM Teg wrote:

> Hello Maxine,
>
> It's totally unrelated to Sqlite though.
>
> Pick a programming language that works with Sqlite and make a GUI with
> this programming language.
>
> C
>
> Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 4:56:39 PM, you wrote:
>
> MN> I am an experienced Access VBA programmer. I know about the SQLite
> commands MN> to create and manipulate data in tables and queries.
>
> MN>
>
> MN> What I want to know is where do I find info on creating a graphical user
> MN> interface such as menus, forms and reports. What additional programs
> are MN> required to do this?
>
> MN>
>
> MN> Thanks in advance,
>
> MN> Max
>
> MN>
>
> MN> _______________________________________________
> MN> sqlite-users mailing list
> MN> [hidden email]
> MN> http://sqlite.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users

--
------------------------
Mark S. Halegua
718-360-1712
917-686-8794
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://sqlite.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GUI INfo

justin
In reply to this post by Maxine Nietz
On 2014-09-10 20:56, Maxine Nietz wrote:
> I am an experienced Access VBA programmer. I know about the SQLite
> commands
> to create and manipulate data in tables and queries.
>
> What I want to know is where do I find info on creating a graphical
> user
> interface such as menus, forms and reports. What additional programs
> are
> required to do this?

It depends on what you want your graphical user interface to
do. :)

What's the main goal for your new graphical user interface?

As initial probing questions, do you want to build something
on top of MS Access, or do you want a completely stand-alone
program?

Asking because (in a general sense) there are many ways to
create a GUI.

So, narrowing down the possibilities by knowing the main goal
will help. :)

If you want to see an example of a good stand-alone SQLite GUI
program, this is one example:

   http://sqlitebrowser.org

The source code for it is here:

   https://github.com/sqlitebrowser/sqlitebrowser

It's written in a language called "C++", and uses a popular
cross platform toolkit called "Qt" (qt-project.org).

Does that help? :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://sqlite.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GUI INfo

Jens Alfke
In reply to this post by Maxine Nietz

> On Sep 10, 2014, at 1:56 PM, Maxine Nietz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What I want to know is where do I find info on creating a graphical user
> interface such as menus, forms and reports. What additional programs are
> required to do this?

SQLite doesn't have anything related to a GUI; it's purely a database engine.

I'm sure there must be a Visual BASIC binding/library/plugin that lets you use SQLite. Since you already use VB, that seems like a good thing to use. Then you can build the GUI in VB as you're used to.

—Jens
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://sqlite.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GUI INfo

jose isaias cabrera
In reply to this post by Warren Young
"Warren Young" wrote...

> On 9/10/2014 14:56, Maxine Nietz wrote:
>> I am an experienced Access VBA programmer. I know about the SQLite
>> commands
>> to create and manipulate data in tables and queries.
>>
>>
>>
>> What I want to know is where do I find info on creating a graphical user
>> interface such as menus, forms and reports. What additional programs are
>> required to do this?
>
> C#.
D.

_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://sqlite.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GUI INfo

Noel Frankinet-3
C++ or Python / Qt/PySide

On 10 September 2014 02:05, jose isaias cabrera <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> "Warren Young" wrote...
>
>  On 9/10/2014 14:56, Maxine Nietz wrote:
>>
>>> I am an experienced Access VBA programmer. I know about the SQLite
>>> commands
>>> to create and manipulate data in tables and queries.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> What I want to know is where do I find info on creating a graphical user
>>> interface such as menus, forms and reports. What additional programs are
>>> required to do this?
>>>
>>
>> C#.
>>
> D.
> _______________________________________________
> sqlite-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://sqlite.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
>



--
Noël Frankinet
Strategis sprl
0478/90.92.54
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://sqlite.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GUI INfo

Jim Callahan
In reply to this post by Maxine Nietz
From a MS Access point of view, think of SQLite as your backend, similar to
a desktop version of MS SQL Server.

What language you use really depends on what you are trying to do. If all
you want is forms and reports, you don't have to give up  MS Access, just
use an ODBC driver for SQLite (Google for it), set up an ODBC data source
in MS Windows and connect to it as an external database from MS Access.

If the idea is to set up an application completely outside of MS Access and
you need a reporter writer  -- do you want a commercial report writer like
Crystal Reports or do you want an open source report writer?  Open source
report writer projects tend to be associated with larger business
intelligence (bi)/data warehousing projects such as Talend or Pentaho. The
open source bi projects (Talend and Pentaho) are mostly written in Java.

On the other hand if you are developing phone apps, SQLite is probably
already there in Android, ios or mono.

If you are developing scientific applications you might use the R
statistical language, Python or the new language Julia.

It really depends on what you are tying to do.

Jim Callahan


On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 4:56 PM, Maxine Nietz <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I am an experienced Access VBA programmer. I know about the SQLite commands
> to create and manipulate data in tables and queries.
>
>
>
> What I want to know is where do I find info on creating a graphical user
> interface such as menus, forms and reports. What additional programs are
> required to do this?
>
>
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Max
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> sqlite-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://sqlite.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
>
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://sqlite.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users