GUI design & managment tool?

AF-9

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a Free, or reasonably priced Non-Free, GUI tool for creating and maintaining an SQlite databases that can run on both Windows and Linux?

(Support for visual relation design would be great, too.)

I found a list at:
http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=ManagementTools

But, I was wondering if anyone has personal experience to share...

Thanks,
:)

Re: GUI design & managment tool?

Shaun Seckman (Firaxis)
I've tried many free tools as well as shareware tools.  Here are my two
favorites and why:

SQLite Manager for Firefox, Thunderbird, etc:
http://code.google.com/p/sqlite-manager/
        This one is simply amazing!  It does everything I want, supports
multiple platforms and is completely free.  It doesn't include any nice
new user features like a query builder and what not but it includes
everything an end user would need to view/manage their database.  After
using this I stopped looking.

SQLite Maestro: http://www.sqlmaestro.com/products/sqlite/maestro/
        This is a shareware tool that is free for 30 days.  This tool is
very good and does everything you would expect a SQL database tool to
do.  One of my subtle gripes with it however is how it displays certain
data.  I have many many several text-type foreign keys and instead of
displaying the text value, it displays it as "MEMO".  Other than that
though the tool is much better than any others I've tried prior to
Firefox's plugin.

Re: GUI design & managment tool?

BareFeetWare
Hi Allen,

> Can anyone recommend a Free, or reasonably priced Non-Free, GUI tool
> for creating and maintaining an SQlite databases that can run on
> both Windows and Linux?
>
> (Support for visual relation design would be great, too.)

I've posted a detailed comparison of various SQLite GUI browsers here:
http://www.tandb.com.au/sqlite/compare/?ml

It focuses on tools for Mac but some of the apps shown are also
available for other platforms.

Tom
BareFeet

Re: GUI design & managment tool?

Alex Mandel-2
Allen Fowler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can anyone recommend a Free, or reasonably priced Non-Free, GUI tool for creating and maintaining an SQlite databases that can run on both Windows and Linux?
>
> (Support for visual relation design would be great, too.)
>
> I found a list at:
> http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=ManagementTools
>
> But, I was wondering if anyone has personal experience to share...
>
> Thanks,
> :)

I usually use a UML diagram tool to draw the database to begin with and
run some scripts to convert it to SQL.
I've done it with Dia in the past which has a Dia2Code plugin but have
also heard good things about ArgoUml.

For ongoing management I use Firefox SQLite Manager plugin, and
spatialite-gui.

Alex

Re: GUI design & managment tool?

SQL Maestro Group
Hi!

> SQLite Maestro: http://www.sqlmaestro.com/products/sqlite/maestro/
> This is a shareware tool that is free for 30 days.  This tool is
> very good and does everything you would expect a SQL database tool to
> do.  One of my subtle gripes with it however is how it displays certain
> data.  I have many many several text-type foreign keys and instead of
> displaying the text value, it displays it as "MEMO".  Other than that
> though the tool is much better than any others I've tried prior to
> Firefox's plugin.

Thank you for this message. We've just fixed the bug you mentioned and
uploaded an updated version of SQLite Maestro at
http://www.sqlmaestro.com/products/sqlite/maestro/download/

> (Support for visual relation design would be great, too.)

Yes, SQLite Maestro does include such a tool.
http://www.sqlmaestro.com/products/sqlite/maestro/screenshots/getting_started/database_designer/

Re: GUI design & managment tool?

stormtrooper
I recommend 2 free tools:

1. The Firefox Sqlite Manager extension.

2. AnySQL Maestro (Windows) - this is an excellent tool, it can connect to almost any database or ODBC - Excel, Access, dbase, txt, sqlite, SQL Server, ... It has so many features. Please try it.

Keith

Allen Fowler wrote
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a Free, or reasonably priced Non-Free, GUI tool for creating and maintaining an SQlite databases that can run on both Windows and Linux?

(Support for visual relation design would be great, too.)

I found a list at:
http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=ManagementTools

But, I was wondering if anyone has personal experience to share...

Thanks,
:)

Re: GUI design & managment tool?

AF-9

> Thank you for this message. We've just fixed the bug you mentioned and
> uploaded an updated version of SQLite Maestro at
> http://www.sqlmaestro.com/products/sqlite/maestro/download/

Wow.  Nice to see you folks monitoring this list.

> > (Support for visual relation design would be great, too.)
>
> Yes, SQLite Maestro does include such a tool.
> http://www.sqlmaestro.com/products/sqlite/maestro/screenshots/getting_started/database_designer/

I've been playing with the demo...    Out of curiosity, is there any way to have the connecting lines automatically route themselves around the other shapes and automatically connect to the table next to the key they represent?  (Like MS Access, but perhaps less buggy...)

Re: GUI design & managment tool?

Rob Sciuk

From: Allen Fowler <[hidden email]>

> Hello,
>
> Can anyone recommend a Free, or reasonably priced Non-Free, GUI tool for
> creating and maintaining an SQlite databases that can run on both Windows
> and Linux?
>
> (Support for visual relation design would be great, too.)
>
> I found a list at: http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=ManagementTools
>
> But, I was wondering if anyone has personal experience to share...
>
> Thanks, :)

I would recommend SQLite Studio without hesitation.  I think it pretty
much covers your criteria, have a look:

  http://sqlitestudio.one.pl/index.rvt?act=about

It is fast, graphical, a single executable install (eg: trivial), and
works well with existing databases ...  I've just started playing with
it on FreeBSD, and I must say that so far, I'm much impressed with the
tool.

HTH.
Cheers,
Rob Sciuk

Re: GUI design & managment tool?

AF-9

> I would recommend SQLite Studio without hesitation.  I think it pretty
> much covers your criteria, have a look:
>
>     http://sqlitestudio.one.pl/index.rvt?act=about
>
> It is fast, graphical, a single executable install (eg: trivial), and
> works well with existing databases ...  I've just started playing with
> it on FreeBSD, and I must say that so far, I'm much impressed with the
> tool.

very nice.  simple & functional.  Works on Linux and windows.

However, sadly, I do not see any GUI tool for relationship design.  Did I miss it?

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Allen Fowler wrote:

>> I would recommend SQLite Studio without hesitation.  I think it pretty
>> much covers your criteria, have a look:
>>
>>     http://sqlitestudio.one.pl/index.rvt?act=about
>>
>> It is fast, graphical, a single executable install (eg: trivial), and
>> works well with existing databases ...  I've just started playing with
>> it on FreeBSD, and I must say that so far, I'm much impressed with the
>> tool.
>>

> very nice.  simple & functional.  Works on Linux and windows.
>
> However, sadly, I do not see any GUI tool for relationship design.  Did I miss it?

Sorry, Allen, I've just stumbled onto it in the past 24 hours, and I'm
still learning myself.  Mostly I've used it to explore existing
applications, and it truly shines at this ... anyway, I hope it is of some
help to you ...

Cheers,
Rob.

Re: GUI design & managment tool?

SQL Maestro Group
>> Thank you for this message. We've just fixed the bug you mentioned and
>> uploaded an updated version of SQLite Maestro at
>> http://www.sqlmaestro.com/products/sqlite/maestro/download/
>>
> Wow.  Nice to see you folks monitoring this list.
>
>> > (Support for visual relation design would be great, too.)
>>
>> Yes, SQLite Maestro does include such a tool.
>> http://www.sqlmaestro.com/products/sqlite/maestro/screenshots/getting_started/database_designer/
>>
> I've been playing with the demo...    Out of curiosity, is there any way
> to have the connecting lines automatically route themselves around the
> other shapes and automatically connect to the table next to the key they
> represent?  (Like MS Access, but perhaps less buggy...)

To implement such an arrangement, it is necessary to implement a variation
of a quite complex graph drawing algorithm; moreover some graphs cannot be
drawn without edge crossings. Nevertheless we'll try to improve the "Apply
best fit" feature within the next versions...