HELP!

ams64@juno.com
November 10, 2018 Dear Good People: I work for a company that has a many locations with more than one person in every location. I want to share the databases I have built using SQLITE with some of the people in each location. Do any of you good people know is SQLITE on the cloud? lf so, I  would be most appreciative if you would tell me how to access it. 2) If SQLITE is on the cloud, how do I restrict access--so that one information (not like spelling errors) is inputted, the information cannot be removed. 3) Is there a spell checker function on SQLITE? ?if so, please advise very specifically how to find and use it. If any of you good people can help me solve these dilemmas, I would be most appreciative. Thank you very much in advance for helping me solve these problems. Respectfully yours, Alex Stavis

Re: HELP!

Jens Alfke-2

> On Nov 10, 2018, at 4:49 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> November 10, 2018 Dear Good People: I work for a company that has a many locations with more than one person in every location. I want to share the databases I have built using SQLITE with some of the people in each location. Do any of you good people know is SQLITE on the cloud?

No. SQLite is a library (with a command-line tool.)

There are some GUI apps that use SQLite, but they’re not part of SQLite itself. If you’re using one of those apps, you should  contact its developer (i.e. not this list.)

—Jens

Re: HELP!

Dingyuan Wang
There are some cloud solutions:
https://dbhub.io/ for sharing
https://bedrockdb.com/ for distributed hosting

2018/11/11 8:49, [hidden email]:

> November 10, 2018 Dear Good People: I work for a company that has a many locations with more than one person in every location. I want to share the databases I have built using SQLITE with some of the people in each location. Do any of you good people know is SQLITE on the cloud? lf so, I  would be most appreciative if you would tell me how to access it. 2) If SQLITE is on the cloud, how do I restrict access--so that one information (not like spelling errors) is inputted, the information cannot be removed. 3) Is there a spell checker function on SQLITE? ?if so, please advise very specifically how to find and use it. If any of you good people can help me solve these dilemmas, I would be most appreciative. Thank you very much in advance for helping me solve these problems. Respectfully yours, Alex Stavis

Re: HELP!

Clemens Ladisch
[hidden email] wrote:
> I work for a company that has a many locations with more than one
> person in every location. I want to share the databases I have built
> using SQLITE with some of the people in each location. Do any of you
> good people know is SQLITE on the cloud?

It's not; SQLite is file based.  The only way to share this would be to
make a file share in the company-wide network, i.e., to make the file
\\COMPANYSERVER\SomeShare\MyLittleDB.sqlite directly accessible from
everywhere.  (This is likely to be inefficient.)

Consider replacing SQLite with a client/server database:
<https://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html>

Regards,
Clemens

Re: HELP!

Jay Kreibich

> On Nov 11, 2018, at 1:24 AM, Clemens Ladisch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It's not; SQLite is file based.  The only way to share this would be to
> make a file share in the company-wide network, i.e., to make the file
> \\COMPANYSERVER\SomeShare\MyLittleDB.sqlite directly accessible from
> everywhere.  (This is likely to be inefficient.)

Not just inefficient, it is almost guaranteed to corrupt the database file if more than one connection tries to access it at the same time.  There isn’t a remote file system out there (in the Windows or Unix world) that correctly implements the locking structures SQLite requires.

  -j

Re: HELP!

Reid Thompson
On Sun, 2018-11-11 at 00:49 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:

> [EXTERNAL SOURCE]
>

> November 10, 2018 Dear Good People: I work for a company that has a many locations with more than one person in every location. I want to share the databases I have built using SQLITE with some of
> the people in each location. Do any of you good people know is SQLITE on the cloud? lf so, I  would be most appreciative if you would tell me how to access it. 2) If SQLITE is on the cloud, how do I
> restrict access--so that one information (not like spelling errors) is inputted, the information cannot be removed. 3) Is there a spell checker function on SQLITE? ?if so, please advise very
> specifically how to find and use it. If any of you good people can help me solve these dilemmas, I would be most appreciative. Thank you very much in advance for helping me solve these problems.
> Respectfully yours, Alex Stavis

see https://bedrockdb.com

Bedrock was built by Expensify, and is a networking and distributed transaction layer built atop SQLite, the fastest, most reliable, and most widely distributed database in the world.

reid

Re: HELP!

Chris Locke-3
> it is almost guaranteed to corrupt the database file if more than one
connection tries to access it at the same time.

I understand the risks and reasons, but have had numerous databases on our
Windows network accessed by 20+ users throughout the day without issue.

Thanks,
Chris