Help getting started

Larry Mullings
I'm in need of some serious help.  I'm a first timer to anything database.  I have a SQLite Bible database.  It has
Bible verses with Strong's numbers and Hebrew.  I'd like to add some fields to the database.  I downloaded
sqlite-amalgamation-3220000 and compiled it.  Now I have sqlite3.exe and .obj files.  Now what do I need to do?

Re: Help getting started

Simon Slavin-3
On 9 Mar 2018, at 3:48pm, Larry Mullings <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm in need of some serious help.  I'm a first timer to anything database.  I have a SQLite Bible database.  It has
> Bible verses with Strong's numbers and Hebrew.  I'd like to add some fields to the database.  I downloaded
> sqlite-amalgamation-3220000 and compiled it.  Now I have sqlite3.exe and .obj files.  Now what do I need to do?

What operating system are you using ?  If its Windows or Macintosh, include the version number.

You probably already have a compiled version of the sqlite3 executable, but to tell you where to fine it we need to know your operating system.

Once you can actually run a copy of sqlite3.exe, see this page:

<https://sqlite.org/cli.html>

I advise you to experiment with a new blank file as the page shows, and learn how to do things first, before you start changing /a copy of/ your bible database.

If you have successfully got through sections 11 and 2 of this page, post again and someone will show you how to add more columns to an existing table.

Re: Help getting started

Donald Griggs
Hi Larry,

Since you mention sqlite3.exe, I assume you're on Windows.

Kudos for compiling your own exe, but if, in future, you find you don't
need special compile features, you can always download the current version
exe from http://sqlite.org/download.html  .

If I understand you correctly, you'll want to go to a Windows cmd prompt
screen,
then type
   sqlite3   YourDatabasename

This should open your database and give you a prompt for
sqlite sql commands and "dot" commands

https://sqlite.org/cli.html

There are also many windows GUI utilities (written by third-parties) which
you may find useful.

As to adding a column, the simplest method is to use the ALTER TABLE command
    http://sqlite.org/lang_altertable.html
but you may also choose to copy the existing table into a newly-defined
table, then remove the old one and rename.

Re: Help getting started

On 3/9/18, Larry Mullings <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a SQLite Bible database.  It has
> Bible verses with Strong's numbers and Hebrew.

Are you willing to share your database?  Can you send me a copy via
private email attachment?

Re: Help getting started

Simon Slavin-3
On 9 Mar 2018, at 4:42pm, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/9/18, Larry Mullings <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have a SQLite Bible database.  It has
>> Bible verses with Strong's numbers and Hebrew.
>
> Are you willing to share your database?  Can you send me a copy via
> private email attachment?

Anyone interested in this might also be interested in the ".sql" files listed here:

<https://github.com/photokandyStudios/gbible/wiki/Bible-Database>

However, these are English and Greek, not Hebrew.