Hot Backups

Brandon, Nicholas (UK)

For simple databases (say 10's of MB), I assume the safest way of backing up the database is to copy the file. For a modern desktop/server, this should take less than 20 seconds or so.

While the database won't be under heavy utilisation, I would like to ensure that the database file is not corrupted during the copy, therefore I plan to do the following:

1. Connect to database and issue a BEGIN IMMEDIATE
2. Copy the database file to a new location
3. Issue a rollback and disconnect from the database.

Is this sufficient to ensure a smooth database backup?

Thanks
Nick

Re: Hot Backups

D. Richard Hipp
"Brandon, Nicholas (UK)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While the database won't be under heavy utilisation, I would like to ensure=
>  that the database file is not corrupted during the copy, therefore I plan=
>  to do the following:
>
> 1. Connect to database and issue a BEGIN IMMEDIATE
> 2. Copy the database file to a new location
> 3. Issue a rollback and disconnect from the database.
>
> Is this sufficient to ensure a smooth database backup?

Yes.
--
D. Richard Hipp   <[hidden email]>