How difficult for bindings to support API 14 or below?

How difficult for bindings to support API 14 or below?

Philip Warner
I notice that the Android bindings support API 16 by default, with a custom branch for API 15. Naively, it looks like API 15 support has a small number of changes relating to a missing/changed(?) exception.

Can anyone offer insight into how difficult it would be to support API 14 or below? It does not need to be source code compatible with the old android salute API from my point off view.... it just needs to work/run.
--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my spelling and brevity.

Re: How difficult for bindings to support API 14 or below?

Philip Warner
FWIW, it compiles and builds with API set to 14...I'm just worried I'll get some
esoteric breakage.

Any insights from someone who understands NDK/API level interactions?

On 18/04/2017 11:49 PM, Philip Warner wrote:
> I notice that the Android bindings support API 16 by default, with a custom branch for API 15. Naively, it looks like API 15 support has a small number of changes relating to a missing/changed(?) exception.
>
> Can anyone offer insight into how difficult it would be to support API 14 or below? It does not need to be source code compatible with the old android salute API from my point off view.... it just needs to work/run.

Re: How difficult for bindings to support API 14 or below?

Dan Kennedy-4
On 04/19/2017 06:28 PM, Philip Warner wrote:
> FWIW, it compiles and builds with API set to 14...I'm just worried
> I'll get some esoteric breakage.
>
> Any insights from someone who understands NDK/API level interactions?

Looking at old chat logs, I don't think we have tried to use that code
with API level 14. It might work. Or it might not.

Google rewrote the code that the sqlite.org/android code is based on for
the release associated with API level 15. So the official API level 14
stuff is quite different. I think that's the only reason we thought it
would only work on level 15 or greater.

Dan.

> On 18/04/2017 11:49 PM, Philip Warner wrote:
>> I notice that the Android bindings support API 16 by default, with a
>> custom branch for API 15. Naively, it looks like API 15 support has a
>> small number of changes relating to a missing/changed(?) exception.
>>
>> Can anyone offer insight into how difficult it would be to support
>> API 14 or below? It does not need to be source code compatible with
>> the old android salute API from my point off view.... it just needs
>> to work/run.

Re: How difficult for bindings to support API 14 or below?

Philip Warner
I've managed to get a version that runs down to API 9 by duplicating some more
classes from the Android sources and changing the cursor window creation to use
the old constructor with a boolean parameter (rather than a name). Going below
API 9 is probably going to involve diminishing returns in terms of number of
devices that are live.

If I tidy up the code, do you have any interest in incorporating it, perhaps as
another branch?

On 04/20/2017 10:31 PM, Philip Warner wrote:
> I've managed to get a version that runs down to API 9 by duplicating
> some more classes from the Android sources and changing the cursor
> window creation to use the old constructor with a boolean parameter
> (rather than a name). Going below API 9 is probably going to involve
> diminishing returns in terms of number of devices that are live.
>
> If I tidy up the code, do you have any interest in incorporating it,
> perhaps as another branch?

Sure, that sounds great! I don't think there are any license issues, as
all that code inherits the Apache 2.0 license from Android.

Are you fossil-literate?

Dan.

On 21/04/2017 1:43 AM, Dan Kennedy wrote:

> Are you fossil-literate?

Primarily git literate (cvs years ago). Happy to work my way through it.

Re: How difficult for bindings to support API 14 or below?

Philip Warner
Have sent a patch file direct to you (Dan).