How to do rollback & rollforward?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to do rollback & rollforward?

Robert M. Münch
Hi, following scenario:

Our app has a very exhaustive undo system. There you can, as long as you don't change anything, go back in time, take a look at your data and than go forward again and get back all changes you have done.

I think the VERSION extension might help us here. On the other hand, SAVEPOINTs look very good too as they are named. But I don't see a way how I can go back to a SAVEPOINT and then forward again. Would this be possible somehow?

The other idea is to take the named SAVEPOINTs idea and implement something like this manually with change-sets etc. that can be played back and forth. I'm not totally sure how to best tackle this.

If using VERSION extension and storing the changes inside the DB (while excluding the tracking for the change-set-table) this should even give us a persistent undo system, right?

Viele Grüsse.

--

Robert M. Münch, CEO
M: +41 79 65 11 49 6

Saphirion AG
smarter | better | faster

http://www.saphirion.com
http://www.nlpp.ch

_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users

signature.asc (614 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to do rollback & rollforward?

Richard Hipp-3
On 11/2/17, Robert M. Münch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, following scenario:
>
> Our app has a very exhaustive undo system. There you can, as long as you
> don't change anything, go back in time, take a look at your data and than go
> forward again and get back all changes you have done.
>
> I think the VERSION extension might help us here. On the other hand,
> SAVEPOINTs look very good too as they are named. But I don't see a way how I
> can go back to a SAVEPOINT and then forward again. Would this be possible
> somehow?

Did you see this document: https://www.sqlite.org/undoredo.html

Do the ideas talked about there help in any way?

--
D. Richard Hipp
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to do rollback & rollforward?

Robert M. Münch
On 2 Nov 2017, at 16:56, Richard Hipp wrote:

> Did you see this document: https://www.sqlite.org/undoredo.html

No, I didn't, thanks a lot.


> Do the ideas talked about there help in any way?

Yes, it's what we are seeking.

The SESSIONs (sorry thought it's named VERSION) extension looks like something that will handle the tracking tables for us and create those change-sets as in the example. Storing change-sets inside the DB should work too, I think.

Or would it be better to use the approach from the example and omit the SESSIONs extension at all?

Viele Grüsse.

--

Robert M. Münch, CEO
M: +41 79 65 11 49 6

Saphirion AG
smarter | better | faster

http://www.saphirion.com
http://www.nlpp.ch

_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users

signature.asc (614 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to do rollback & rollforward?

Richard Hipp-3
On 11/3/17, Robert M. Münch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2 Nov 2017, at 16:56, Richard Hipp wrote:
>
>> Did you see this document: https://www.sqlite.org/undoredo.html
>
> No, I didn't, thanks a lot.
>
>
>> Do the ideas talked about there help in any way?
>
> Yes, it's what we are seeking.
>
> The SESSIONs (sorry thought it's named VERSION) extension looks like
> something that will handle the tracking tables for us and create those
> change-sets as in the example. Storing change-sets inside the DB should work
> too, I think.
>
> Or would it be better to use the approach from the example and omit the
> SESSIONs extension at all?

Either way will probably work.  Which approach seems easiest for you
to implement?
--
D. Richard Hipp
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users