How to post the question to this group

Joanne Pham
Hi All,
  I got a lot of email from this group but I don't remember how to post the question to this user group. Please help.
  Thanks,
  JP

http://mail.yahoo.com

How to get the latest version of SQLite for Linux and how to apply it on Linux box

Joanne Pham

Hi All,  I already had SQLite3 version 3.3.14 on my Linux box and I want to  replace this version with the new version SQLite3 3.5.1and I don't  know what are the steps to apply new version to my Linux box and where  to downloading this new version.  Thanks in advance,  JP

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: How to post the question to this group

Puneet Kishor-2
On 10/18/07, Joanne Pham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>   I got a lot of email from this group but I don't remember how to post the question to this user group. Please help.
>   Thanks,
>   JP

is this a trick question? You just posted a question above quite successfully!

now, bring on the real questions. :-)

--
Puneet Kishor

Re: How to get the latest version of SQLite for Linux and how to apply it on Linux box

John Stanton-3
Download the source from www.sqlite.org.  Untar it into a directory
sqlite and follow the instructions.

Joanne Pham wrote:
> Hi All,  I already had SQLite3 version 3.3.14 on my Linux box and I want to  replace this version with the new version SQLite3 3.5.1and I don't  know what are the steps to apply new version to my Linux box and where  to downloading this new version.  Thanks in advance,  JP

Commit failing with error SQLITE_ERROR

Teg-3
Hi all,

I have a multithreaded app using 3.5.1 latest on the site.

I "BEGIN EXCLUSIVE TRANSACTION;"

Add some data and then

"COMMIT;"

The COMMIT sometimes returns SQLITE_ERROR but, the error message is
"Select still in progress". I was under the impression I was supposed
to get a "SQLITE_BUSY" in this case and be allowed to retry until the
commit actually happens.

I'm using direct execution to BEGIN the transaction and the same to
COMMIT

                        nResult = sqlite3_exec
                        (
                                m_pDb,
                                pszQuery,
                                NULL,
                                NULL,
                                &m_pszErrorMessage
                        );
                        if( nResult == SQLITE_OK )
                        {
                                break;
                        }

Is there an update? Is this expected behavior? If I mutex the entire
process, I get no errors but, the performance is terrible.

Best regards,
 Teg                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Commit failing with error SQLITE_ERROR

Teg-3

Sorry for answering my own email.

I had a bit of a breakthrough. Apparently compiled selects
sqlite3_prepare_v2 that live longer than the transaction are enough to
prevent the transaction from commiting. Each thread has it's own
connection to the DB.

With multiple threads, the order was:

prepare_v2
prepare_v2
prepare_v2
Begin Exclusive...
Insert
Commit;
sqlite3_finalize
sqlite3_finalize
sqlite3_finalize

If I change the order to.

Begin Exclusive...
prepare_v2
prepare_v2
prepare_v2
Insert
sqlite3_finalize
sqlite3_finalize
sqlite3_finalize
Commit;

I get no more errors. Example #1 never commits properly. I wrote a
procedure to sleep and re-try the commit when the error and error
message matched up and the commit was always locked out.

It's possible it's a problem in my code but, I thought I'd ask.

Teg.

Friday, October 19, 2007, 1:18:25 AM, you wrote:

T> Hi all,

T> I have a multithreaded app using 3.5.1 latest on the site.

T> I "BEGIN EXCLUSIVE TRANSACTION;"

T> Add some data and then

T> "COMMIT;"

T> The COMMIT sometimes returns SQLITE_ERROR but, the error message is
T> "Select still in progress". I was under the impression I was supposed
T> to get a "SQLITE_BUSY" in this case and be allowed to retry until the
T> commit actually happens.

T> I'm using direct execution to BEGIN the transaction and the same to
T> COMMIT

T>                         nResult = sqlite3_exec
T>                         (
T>                                 m_pDb,
T>                                 pszQuery,
T>                                 NULL,
T>                                 NULL,
T>                                 &m_pszErrorMessage
T>                         );
T>                         if( nResult == SQLITE_OK )
T>                         {
T>                                 break;
T>                         }

T> Is there an update? Is this expected behavior? If I mutex the entire
T> process, I get no errors but, the performance is terrible.

T> Best regards,
T>  Teg                            mailto:[hidden email]

Best regards,
 Teg                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Commit failing with error SQLITE_ERROR

Igor Tandetnik
Teg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I had a bit of a breakthrough. Apparently compiled selects
> sqlite3_prepare_v2 that live longer than the transaction are enough to
> prevent the transaction from commiting. Each thread has it's own
> connection to the DB.

You don't have to finalize all statements, it's sufficient to
sqlite3_reset them (and then you can use them in a new transaction
without re-preparing). But yes, all outstanding statements must be reset
or finalized before you can commit a transaction.

Igor Tandetnik