Incompatible versions of SQLite on same system

Re: Incompatible versions of SQLite on same system

Joe Winograd-2
Ah, I see that embedded images don't make it in this group, so the screen
shot referred to in my previous message is attached. Regards, Joe

Re: Incompatible versions of SQLite on same system

Black, Michael (IS)
You don't need to "register" the SQLite DLL.  That's for ActiveX and COM DLLs.  Not ones that just export functions.

The search path stuff is a mess under Microsoft.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms682586(v=vs.85).aspx#standard_search_order_for_desktop_applications

You may be able to get away with getting rid of ALL sqlite3.dll's and just putting the latest version in %SystemRoot%\system32 -- or you may be able to copy the latest sqlite3.dll into the one application directory and replace the old one.  To the best of my knowledge it's upwards compatible.

<soapbox>Anybody who uses an SQLite DLL should be hung up by their boots</soapbox>.

Michael D. Black

Senior Scientist

Advanced Analytics Directorate

Advanced GEOINT Solutions Operating Unit

Northrop Grumman Information Systems

Re: Incompatible versions of SQLite on same system

Joe Winograd-2
 > The search path stuff is a mess under Microsoft.

Yes, it sure is. The link you sent has some interesting stuff. In
particular, this point is key:

Before the system searches for a DLL, it checks the following:

(1) If a DLL with the same module name is already loaded in memory, the
system uses the loaded DLL, no matter which directory it is in. The system
does not search for the DLL.

(2) If the DLL is on the list of known DLLs for the version of Windows on
which the application is running, the system uses its copy of the known DLL
(and the known DLL's dependent DLLs, if any). The system does not search for
the DLL. For a list of known DLLs on the current system, see the following
registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\KnownDLLs.

Re (1), I ran a report to view loaded DLLs and no version of SQLite is
there. Re (2), I checked the registry entry shown and no version of SQLite
is in the KnownDLLs key.

With (1) and (2) out of the way, the search order is clear: regardless of
the SafeDllSearchMode setting, it will always search the directory from
which the application loaded first. Hence, copying the latest <sqlite3.dll>
into the Connection Manager app directory should have worked, but it did not
(see below).

 > you may be able to copy the latest sqlite3.dll into the one application
directory and replace the old one.

That's what I did to the one in the HP Connection Manager directory. Didn't
fix the problem. There is no <sqlite3.dll> anywhere in the TurboTax
directory structure, so nothing to replace. Yet everyone reporting the
problem on the HP forum says the problem started when they installed TT (CM
is typically pre-installed on HP machines and works fine until TT is installed).

 > To the best of my knowledge it's upwards compatible.

Yes, Richard stated that much earlier in the thread ("SQLite is always
backwards compatible."), but it has long since been trimmed out, as frequent
and heavy trimming seems to be the MO in this group. Speaking of that, I
also documented ALL of the <sqlite3.dll> files earlier in the thread. In
addition to CM, they are:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\DLLs\sqlite3.dll
c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\SQLite3.dll
c:\Program Files (x86)\Nuance\PaperPort\sqlite3.dll

Calibre and PaperPort are working fine (so is TT). The only piece of Apple
software on the machine is QuickTime, and it is working fine. None of them
copied the SQLite DLL into a system folder and none of them placed it in the
list of known DLLs.

 > Anybody who uses an SQLite DLL should be hung up by their boots.

Richard, Simon, and you are seeing eye-to-eye on this. Earlier in the thread
(since trimmed, of course), it was stated that SQLite was designed to be
tiny so that each app could include the entire system without draining
resources significantly (this would solve the problem of apps stepping on
each other with different versions of <sqlite3.dll>). So if that's the case,
why not kill the distribution of <sqlite3.dll> and force the developers to
do it the right way? Regards, Joe

> You don't need to "register" the SQLite DLL.  That's for ActiveX and COM DLLs.  Not ones that just export functions.
>

> The search path stuff is a mess under Microsoft.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms682586(v=vs.85).aspx#standard_search_order_for_desktop_applications
>
> You may be able to get away with getting rid of ALL sqlite3.dll's and just putting the latest version in %SystemRoot%\system32 -- or you may be able to copy the latest sqlite3.dll into the one application directory and replace the old one.  To the best of my knowledge it's upwards compatible.
>

> <soapbox>Anybody who uses an SQLite DLL should be hung up by their boots</soapbox>.
>

> Michael D. Black
>
> Senior Scientist
>
> Advanced Analytics Directorate
>
> Advanced GEOINT Solutions Operating Unit
>
> Northrop Grumman Information Systems

Re: Incompatible versions of SQLite on same system

Jean-Christophe Deschamps-3
At 01:08 17/01/2012, you wrote:
´¯¯¯
>Richard, Simon, and you are seeing eye-to-eye on this. Earlier in the
>thread (since trimmed, of course), it was stated that SQLite was
>designed to be tiny so that each app could include the entire system
>without draining resources significantly (this would solve the problem
>of apps stepping on each other with different versions of
><sqlite3.dll>). So if that's the case, why not kill the distribution
>of <sqlite3.dll> and force the developers to do it the right way?
>Regards, Joe
`---

That would preclude use of SQLite in situation where no linking is
possible, like many scripting languages, etc.  That it is allright for
your current use cases doesn't imply it's convenient or even possible
for others.

Re: Incompatible versions of SQLite on same system

Joe Winograd-2
Excellent point!

I guess there's no solution that the end-user can deploy in this case. It's
not even clear to me how the HP and/or Intuit programmers can solve the
problem, since I replaced the HP Connection Manager <sqlite3.dll> with the
latest one and TurboTax doesn't even have a <sqlite3.dll> anywhere in its
directory structure and there isn't a <sqlite3.dll> in any system directory
and when the <dbUpdate.exe> fails, there isn't even a <sqlite3.dll> that's
been loaded in memory. Regards, Joe

>> Richard, Simon, and you are seeing eye-to-eye on this. Earlier in the
>> thread (since trimmed, of course), it was stated that SQLite was designed
>> to be tiny so that each app could include the entire system without
>> draining resources significantly (this would solve the problem of apps
>> stepping on each other with different versions of <sqlite3.dll>). So if
>> that's the case, why not kill the distribution of <sqlite3.dll> and force
>> the developers to do it the right way? Regards, Joe
> `---
>
> That would preclude use of SQLite in situation where no linking is
> possible, like many scripting languages, etc.  That it is allright for
> your current use cases doesn't imply it's convenient or even possible for
> others.

Re: Incompatible versions of SQLite on same system

Joe Mistachkin-3

Joe Winograd wrote:

> I guess there's no solution that the end-user can deploy in this case.
It's
> not even clear to me how the HP and/or Intuit programmers can solve the
> problem, since I replaced the HP Connection Manager <sqlite3.dll> with the

> latest one and TurboTax doesn't even have a <sqlite3.dll> anywhere in its
> directory structure and there isn't a <sqlite3.dll> in any system
directory
> and when the <dbUpdate.exe> fails, there isn't even a <sqlite3.dll> that's

> been loaded in memory. Regards, Joe

Another thing to keep in mind is that the System.Data.SQLite project
compiles
the native code for SQLite into files named "SQLite.Interop.dll" and
"System.Data.SQLite.dll" (mixed-mode assembly), depending on the build
configuration.

--
Joe Mistachkin

Re: Incompatible versions of SQLite on same system

Joe Winograd-2
Joe,

Good to know! I had been looking just for <sqlite3.dll>. I don't have access
to the machine right now, but I do have a clone of its system drive, and a
search for <sqlite> turned up:

System.Data.SQLite.Linq.DLL (more than one copy)
System.Data.SQLite.DLL (more than one copy)
System.Data.SQLite64.DLL (probably because it's 64-bit W7)

At the time the clone was made, HP Connection Manager wasn't on it, but HP
Power Assistant was, and the latter's directory in Program Files contains
both <System.Data.SQLite.DLL> and <System.Data.SQLite64.DLL>, so there's a
good chance that HP Connection Manager will have those, too (I am not
willing to uninstall Intuit's TurboTax at this time, so there's no way to
get HP Connection Manager installed to determine for sure what
SQLite-related DLLs it installs). Regards, Joe

> Another thing to keep in mind is that the System.Data.SQLite project
> compiles
> the native code for SQLite into files named "SQLite.Interop.dll" and
> "System.Data.SQLite.dll" (mixed-mode assembly), depending on the build
> configuration.

Re: Incompatible versions of SQLite on same system

Kevin Benson
On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Joe Winograd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Joe,
>
> Good to know! I had been looking just for <sqlite3.dll>. I don't have
> access to the machine right now, but I do have a clone of its system drive,
> and a search for <sqlite> turned up:
>
> System.Data.SQLite.Linq.DLL (more than one copy)
> System.Data.SQLite.DLL (more than one copy)
> System.Data.SQLite64.DLL (probably because it's 64-bit W7)
>
> At the time the clone was made, HP Connection Manager wasn't on it, but HP
> Power Assistant was, and the latter's directory in Program Files contains
> both <System.Data.SQLite.DLL> and <System.Data.SQLite64.DLL>, so there's a
> good chance that HP Connection Manager will have those, too (I am not
> willing to uninstall Intuit's TurboTax at this time, so there's no way to
> get HP Connection Manager installed to determine for sure what
> SQLite-related DLLs it installs). Regards, Joe

It's a bit of a kludge, but ...you can go ahead and reinstall HP's
Connection Manager. When you want to run TurboTax ...just *temporarily*
rename the conflicting parent directory (C:\Program Files\HP Connection
Manager to C:\Program Files\HP Connection Manager_ ) and reboot your
system. It will be unable to find the directory to load the conflicting
files (or run HP Connection Manager). Then, run TurboTax to your heart's
content and when finished ...rename the parent directory *back* (remove the
underscore at the end of the directory name) and reboot to return HP
Connection Manager to a "working" state. Cheers

         --ô¿ô--
        K e V i N

Kevin,
Thanks for the idea, but it will not install. The way this group operates
with excessive trimming/snipping, that has long since been removed from this
thread (this M.O. makes it very difficult for a member to join a discussion
in the middle), but here's what I wrote at the get-go:

I received the following dialog box with the title <dbUpdate.exe>:

Cannot load assembly:
System.Data.SQLite, Version=1.0.61.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=db937bc2d44ff139
The application will now exit.

The supposed "answer" from HP is that you may use use either TurboTax or
Connection Manager, but not both! I was hoping the experts in this forum
would have a solution to this problem, or at least a better work-around than
uninstalling one and reinstalling the other each time I need one of the
programs.

One of the really interesting things that came out in this thread (also long
since trimmed) is that there is no SQLite DLL of any kind in the TurboTax
directory structure and there doesn't seem to be one in any common/shared
area that TT would be using (there *is* one in <\Common Files\Apple>, but TT
is surely not using that).

Also trimmed from earlier in the thread:

I downloaded the latest <SQLite3.dll> from the link that Richard provided
and replaced the copy in <c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP
Connection Manager>. Running CM fails in the same way as previously reported
and running <DBUpdate.exe> (which is in the same directory as the CM
executable and the new <SQLite3.dll>) also fails in the same way as
previously reported.

Regards, Joe

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Joe Winograd<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Joe,
>>
>> Good to know! I had been looking just for<sqlite3.dll>. I don't have
>> access to the machine right now, but I do have a clone of its system drive,
>> and a search for<sqlite>  turned up:
>>
>> System.Data.SQLite.Linq.DLL (more than one copy)
>> System.Data.SQLite.DLL (more than one copy)
>> System.Data.SQLite64.DLL (probably because it's 64-bit W7)
>>
>> At the time the clone was made, HP Connection Manager wasn't on it, but HP
>> Power Assistant was, and the latter's directory in Program Files contains
>> both<System.Data.SQLite.DLL>  and<System.Data.SQLite64.DLL>, so there's a
>> good chance that HP Connection Manager will have those, too (I am not
>> willing to uninstall Intuit's TurboTax at this time, so there's no way to
>> get HP Connection Manager installed to determine for sure what
>> SQLite-related DLLs it installs). Regards, Joe
>>

> It's a bit of a kludge, but ...you can go ahead and reinstall HP's
> Connection Manager. When you want to run TurboTax ...just *temporarily*
> rename the conflicting parent directory (C:\Program Files\HP Connection
> Manager to C:\Program Files\HP Connection Manager_ ) and reboot your
> system. It will be unable to find the directory to load the conflicting
> files (or run HP Connection Manager). Then, run TurboTax to your heart's
> content and when finished ...rename the parent directory *back* (remove the
> underscore at the end of the directory name) and reboot to return HP
> Connection Manager to a "working" state. Cheers
>
> --
>     --
>        --
>           --ô¿ô--
>          K e V i N

Tim Streater-3
On 24 Jan 2012 at 20:02, Joe Winograd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the idea, but it will not install. The way this group operates
> with excessive trimming/snipping ...

No it doesn't. It doesn't do *enough* trimming and snipping, and as a result our inboxes grow exponentially. If I want to read a thread I can sort by subject and then read it through. But this is made harder by the excessive repetition due to inadequate trimming (particularly of .sigs).

--
Cheers  --  Tim

Re: Incompatible versions of SQLite on same system

Normand Mongeau-3

On 2012-01-24 16:09, Tim Streater wrote:

> On 24 Jan 2012 at 20:02, Joe Winograd<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the idea, but it will not install. The way this group operates
>> with excessive trimming/snipping ...
> No it doesn't. It doesn't do *enough* trimming and snipping, and as a result our inboxes grow exponentially. If I want to read a thread I can sort by subject and then read it through. But this is made harder by the excessive repetition due to inadequate trimming (particularly of .sigs).
>
> --
> Cheers  --  Tim

Did you guys ever consider Google Groups or something of the like? Email
lists are soooooo clumsy.

Normand

Re: Incompatible versions of SQLite on same system

Eric Pankoke
1. Could we please stay on topic
2. Could we please not go down this road again?

If you guys really want to argue about proper posting etiquette and / or using something besides an email list, they've both been done to death. Just search the archives or start a new thread that's appropriately titled. Just leave it out of this one.

Eric

On 2012-01-24 16:09, Tim Streater wrote:

> On 24 Jan 2012 at 20:02, Joe Winograd<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the idea, but it will not install. The way this group operates
>> with excessive trimming/snipping ...
> No it doesn't. It doesn't do *enough* trimming and snipping, and as a result our inboxes grow exponentially. If I want to read a thread I can sort by subject and then read it through. But this is made harder by the excessive repetition due to inadequate trimming (particularly of .sigs).
>
> --
> Cheers -- Tim

Did you guys ever consider Google Groups or something of the like? Email
lists are soooooo clumsy.

Normand

Re: Incompatible versions of SQLite on same system

Black, Michael (IS)
Try this utility on both programs and find out what DLL they are actually going for.  And remember that if the DLL is already loaded it will use that.

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

________________________________
> you can go ahead and reinstall HP's Connection Manager

Kevin,
Thanks for the idea, but it will not install. The way this group operates
with excessive trimming/snipping, that has long since been removed from this
thread (this M.O. makes it very difficult for a member to join a discussion

Re: Incompatible versions of SQLite on same system

Joe Winograd-2
Michael,
That is one very cool utility! As soon as I can get access to the machine,
I'll give it a spin. Thanks for the tip. Regards, Joe

> Try this utility on both programs and find out what DLL they are actually going for.  And remember that if the DLL is already loaded it will use that.
>
> http://www.dependencywalker.com/
>
> Michael D. Black
> Senior Scientist
> Advanced Analytics Directorate
> Advanced GEOINT Solutions Operating Unit
> Northrop Grumman Information Systems

Re: Incompatible versions of SQLite on same system

Joe Winograd-2
Tim,
I disagree completely. It is a rare individual who will read through all of
the back threads to get a handle on an issue, whereas if it were all there
in a single message, the person might read it, get up to speed, and jump in.
As far as your inbox growing, that's easily handled with the delete key.
Regards, Joe

> On 24 Jan 2012 at 20:02, Joe Winograd<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the idea, but it will not install. The way this group operates
>> with excessive trimming/snipping ...
> No it doesn't. It doesn't do *enough* trimming and snipping, and as a result our inboxes grow exponentially. If I want to read a thread I can sort by subject and then read it through. But this is made harder by the excessive repetition due to inadequate trimming (particularly of .sigs).
>
> --
> Cheers  --  Tim

Re: Incompatible versions of SQLite on same system

Joe Winograd-2
Normand,
I participate in many Google and Yahoo Groups (and am an Owner, Moderator,
or Manager of several), and while their web interfaces are decent, I still
prefer to receive posts in my email client, for many reasons. The most
important reason is search, which, strangely enough, is mediocre in Google
Groups, but on my local machine is terrific, because I run a top-quality
search package that indexes everything in the wee hours and provides robust
searching options. Also, the delete key in my email client works great. :)
I do participate in some forums that provide an excellent web experience,
such as Experts Exchange, but those are professional, custom-brew sites that
were likely very expensive to build. Regards, Joe

> On 2012-01-24 16:09, Tim Streater wrote:
>> On 24 Jan 2012 at 20:02, Joe Winograd<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the idea, but it will not install. The way this group operates
>>> with excessive trimming/snipping ...
>> No it doesn't. It doesn't do *enough* trimming and snipping, and as a
>> result our inboxes grow exponentially. If I want to read a thread I can
>> sort by subject and then read it through. But this is made harder by the
>> excessive repetition due to inadequate trimming (particularly of .sigs).
>>
>> --
>> Cheers  --  Tim
>>

> Did you guys ever consider Google Groups or something of the like? Email
> lists are soooooo clumsy.
>
> Normand

Re: Incompatible versions of SQLite on same system

Joe Winograd-2
How to post properly in the group is an important topic, especially for newbies.
> 2. Could we please not go down this road again?
Why not? The archives are just that – archives. Perhaps there are some
interesting new ideas on the subject. That said, I'll take a look at the
archives.

> If you guys really want to argue about proper posting etiquette and / or using something besides an email list, they've both been done to death. Just search the archives or start a new thread that's appropriately titled. Just leave it out of this one.
>
> Eric

Re: Incompatible versions of SQLite on same system

Joe Winograd-2
I don't have access to the machine with HP Connection Manager on it, but I
just ran Dependency Walker on the TurboTax 2010 executable on a W7/64-bit
machine, which is the same OS as on the other box, and DW showed no entries
in the module list with <sqlite> in the name of the module. Does this make
sense? Thanks, Joe

Joe Winograd wrote:

> I don't have access to the machine with HP Connection Manager on it, but I

> just ran Dependency Walker on the TurboTax 2010 executable on a W7/64-bit
> machine, which is the same OS as on the other box, and DW showed no
entries
> in the module list with <sqlite> in the name of the module. Does this make

> sense? Thanks, Joe

In order to see which managed assemblies a .NET-based application will
require,
you'll need to use the ILDASM tool from the .NET SDK:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f7dy01k1%28v=vs.80%29.aspx

--
Joe Mistachkin

Re: Incompatible versions of SQLite on same system

Joe Winograd-2
Joe,
Thanks for the idea, but after a quick look at the ILDASM tool, I think it's
beyond what I want to do to fix this problem (unlike the Dependency Walker
tool, which I gave a spin). I guess I'll just have to wait for the HP and/or
Intuit developers to solve the problem of incompatible SQLite versions.
Thanks to everyone in the group who tried to help. Regards, Joe