Involving in sqlite development

sjtirtha
Hi,

I'm interested involving in sqlite development.
How can I start it?

Regards
Steve

Re: Involving in sqlite development

Puneet Kishor-2
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 4:26 PM, sjtirtha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested involving in sqlite development.
> How can I start it?

You really need to explain further and more clearly what you want to
do before anyone will be able to guide you.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org

Re: Involving in sqlite development

sjtirtha

Here is what I want to do:
1. I want to learn more about SQL Database implementation
2. During the learn I want to give back what I get to the community

I do not have really C programming experience. But I have 8 years
programming experience in
several languages: PHP, JavaScript, Java, C++, ABAP
And I'm willing to learn C.

Concrete tasks what I have in my mind:
1. setup an development environment for SQLite (I'm using Ubuntu)
    Do you have any preference which editor or IDE should I use?
2. Start looking for bugs that easy to fix, but nobody has time to fix it
    Could you give me some hints which bugs are easy to fix for a
starter like me?

P.S. I just saw, there is developer mailing list for sqlite. Should I
continue my query there?

Regards,
Steve

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 4:26 PM, sjtirtha <sjtirtha at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested involving in sqlite development.
> How can I start it?

You really need to explain further and more clearly what you want to
do before anyone will be able to guide you.

> Regards
> Steve

Re: Involving in sqlite development

Puneet Kishor-2
why don't you start with...

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 8:28 AM, sjtirtha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is what I want to do:
> 1. I want to learn more about SQL Database implementation

the above. You will be quite busy doing the above. When you are good
at the above, you can definitely contribute back by helping other
newcomers on the list.

On 8 Oct 2010, at 2:28pm, sjtirtha wrote:

> I do not have really C programming experience. But I have 8 years
> programming experience in
> several languages: PHP, JavaScript, Java, C++, ABAP
> And I'm willing to learn C.

Of all of those, if you can run Apache, the easiest one for you to start with is probably one of the PHP interfaces.

> Concrete tasks what I have in my mind:
> 1. setup an development environment for SQLite (I'm using Ubuntu)
>    Do you have any preference which editor or IDE should I use?

Try this:

http://php.net/manual/en/book.sqlite3.php

> 2. Start looking for bugs that easy to fix, but nobody has time to fix it
>    Could you give me some hints which bugs are easy to fix for a
> starter like me?
>
> P.S. I just saw, there is developer mailing list for sqlite. Should I
> continue my query there?

The PS is a good way to get an answer to question 2, but you should get plenty of practise as a user before starting to patch SQLite since there are many aspects to it that may look weird until you get used to them.

Re: Involving in sqlite development

Gabor Grothendieck
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 5:26 PM, sjtirtha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested involving in sqlite development.
> How can I start it?

If I can add to this question is there a posted wishlist,
todo list or roadmap?

Something like this:
http://www.h2database.com/html/roadmap.html

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com

Re: Involving in sqlite development

Paweł Hajdan, Jr.
On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 15:28, sjtirtha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1. setup an development environment for SQLite (I'm using Ubuntu)
>    Do you have any preference which editor or IDE should I use?

It's very easy. Download the sources, compile the "standard" way
(./configure; make). Any editor is fine.