Is it okay to use SQLite + PHP for Library Software?

Is it okay to use SQLite + PHP for Library Software?

Raouf Athar
Hi,

I have to develop a Library Management System using *PHP* for a medium sized
college library. The library has about 5,000 members and 50,000 books. On an
average, about 500 members will look for books and will be issued books on
daily basis.

*Kindly let me know if it is okay to use SQLite?**Kindly add a few words in
support of your answer.*
*Can you give me links/ references of a few applications supported by
SQLite?*

Raouf Athar

[image: Hot Kashmir] <http://www.hotkashmir.com/index.php>
contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this
e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this
message and any attachments.

check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The
company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted
by this email.

Re: Is it okay to use SQLite + PHP for Library Software?

Simon Slavin-3

On 15 Aug 2011, at 9:46am, Raouf Athar wrote:

> I have to develop a Library Management System using *PHP* for a medium sized
> college library. The library has about 5,000 members and 50,000 books. On an
> average, about 500 members will look for books and will be issued books on
> daily basis.
>
> *Kindly let me know if it is okay to use SQLite?**Kindly add a few words in
> support of your answer.*
> *Can you give me links/ references of a few applications supported by
> SQLite?*

I run three PHP/SQLite that size or bigger than that myself, all hosted on the same Mac Pro.  I only have about 300 users a day at most, but there is no problem with that amount of data.

Use the SQLite3 object-oriented library for PHP.  Not PDO or any other method of accessing SQLite.  Perhaps start by writing yourself a little SQLite3 library to do the standard things like execute INSERT and UPDATE, read a single-row SELECT, and read a multi-row SELECT.

Make sure you make up appropriate indexes for your SQL commands, so they run quickly.

Save a great deal of time by designing your user interface for HTML4 or HTML5, not Internet Explorer.  If IE has problems running it, tell them it's not IE compatible and have your users use FireFox/Chrome/Safari/whatever.

Re: Is it okay to use SQLite + PHP for Library Software?

Darren Duncan
Raouf Athar wrote:
> I have to develop a Library Management System using *PHP* for a medium sized
> college library. The library has about 5,000 members and 50,000 books. On an
> average, about 500 members will look for books and will be issued books on
> daily basis.
>
> *Kindly let me know if it is okay to use SQLite?**Kindly add a few words in
> support of your answer.*
> *Can you give me links/ references of a few applications supported by
> SQLite?*

Have you looked at existing projects before starting a new one?

Look at "Evergreen", http://open-ils.org/ which is an open source project
developed by and for libraries, and that has been used in production for a few
years now in many libraries.

You should adapt this or modify it to meet your needs rather than start a new
one, unless you can justify otherwise.

-- Darren Duncan

Re: Is it okay to use SQLite + PHP for Library Software?

Puneet Kishor-2

On Aug 16, 2011, at 1:23 AM, Darren Duncan wrote:

> Raouf Athar wrote:
>> I have to develop a Library Management System using *PHP* for a medium sized
>> college library. The library has about 5,000 members and 50,000 books. On an
>> average, about 500 members will look for books and will be issued books on
>> daily basis.
>>
>> *Kindly let me know if it is okay to use SQLite?**Kindly add a few words in
>> support of your answer.*
>> *Can you give me links/ references of a few applications supported by
>> SQLite?*
>
> Have you looked at existing projects before starting a new one?
>
> Look at "Evergreen", http://open-ils.org/ which is an open source project
> developed by and for libraries, and that has been used in production for a few
> years now in many libraries.
>
> You should adapt this or modify it to meet your needs rather than start a new
> one, unless you can justify otherwise.

Yeah, while SQLite can be used to happily power your library system, try finding an existing open source solution, adapting it, making it better, and contributing your enhancements back for everyone to benefit. Consider "Evergreen." Also look at bibapp.org, and I am sure there are many other.