Lite Network wrapper

roger-15
This is a wrapper for SQLite that allows multiple connections accross a
network to a single threaded SQLIte server (all clients are serviced on
the same connection). It also adds a simple security layer.

It was designed for general purpose db use and IPC for
embedded/automation systems, allthougth the performance suprised me! I
expected latency to drop when running large queries, as all other
clients must wait for completion before they can start executing. In
order to improve that I buffered the result sets so they can be dumped
quickly out of the way, and SQLite can pump them out very quickly :-)

There is a C client source which is similar to the
sqlite_execute/callback interface.

There is also a VB example, but it is not much good :-)

Windows and Linux binaries statically linked to SQLite 3 are available,
they should run without 'extra' libraries.

The underlying protocol is a very simple TCP/IP based system, not RPC's.
It allows clients to be easily implemented into anything with sockets,
such as application scripting languages for example.

More info and downloads:

http://users.iol.it/irwin

Re: Lite wrapper

Dave Dyer

on windows, what about running sqlite as a server process
which uses ole for communication?  Lots of other
programs are made scriptable this way.

Re: Lite Network wrapper

Lindsay
[hidden email] wrote:
This is a wrapper for SQLite that allows multiple connections accross a
network to a single threaded SQLIte server (all clients are serviced on
the same connection). It also adds a simple security layer.

Very cool, wish I hade more time to evaluate it :( Interested in the protocol, it looks simple eniugh to integrate into a webapp.

Lindsay

Re: Lite Network wrapper

rlodina
Hi - looks great.

Do you have a plan to share also the source code of server ?

Regards
Radu Lodina

> This is a wrapper for SQLite that allows multiple connections accross a
> network to a single threaded SQLIte server (all clients are serviced on
> the same connection). It also adds a simple security layer.
>
> It was designed for general purpose db use and IPC for
> embedded/automation systems, allthougth the performance suprised me! I
> expected latency to drop when running large queries, as all other
> clients must wait for completion before they can start executing. In
> order to improve that I buffered the result sets so they can be dumped
> quickly out of the way, and SQLite can pump them out very quickly :-)
>
> There is a C client source which is similar to the
> sqlite_execute/callback interface.
>
> There is also a VB example, but it is not much good :-)
>
> Windows and Linux binaries statically linked to SQLite 3 are available,
> they should run without 'extra' libraries.
>
> The underlying protocol is a very simple TCP/IP based system, not RPC's.
> It allows clients to be easily implemented into anything with sockets,
> such as application scripting languages for example.
>
> More info and downloads:
>
> http://users.iol.it/irwin

RE: Lite Network wrapper

roger-15
To answer 3 questions in one:

As noted in the FAQ, next project is to extract the source for the
server from the project it was incubated in :-)

The project is not only to make lite clients, but also lite servers that
may be installed on e.g. embedded devices. It should be as portable as
possible so I will not be adding things like OLE. (BTW, I don't know if
I mentioned but the package contains both windows and Linux binaries).

However, it is quite easy to launch the .exe from within one of the many
service app containers that are readily available if you want it as a
service app. If somebody can suggest an easy way to add service app
support as a simple compile option that can be compiled in with the
MinGW toolchain I use then I will add it.

Yes, Webapps may benefit from such a light and easy protocol.
Unfortunately, AFAIK, browser shells do not make sockets available to
scripts such as javascript, so you will need a plugin like Java or
Flash. It should be no problem to incorporate clients into these
environments.

Re: Lite Network wrapper

Lindsay
[hidden email] wrote:
Yes, Webapps may benefit from such a light and easy protocol.
Unfortunately, AFAIK, browser shells do not make sockets available to
scripts such as javascript, so you will need a plugin like Java or
Flash.

Or tunnel it over http. I say this because I actually use a very similar custom protocol  over http to feed db data to a web app of mine.

--

Lindsay