Looking for SQLite app builder

Bob Sisson
I am looking for a cross platform app builder that will use SQLite to build an inspection checklist that will build a "summary page" that takes selected check boxes, radio buttons and pull downs and looks up their expanded values and fills in a summary page to be printed.

We have tried several off the self products, some of which used SQLite internally, but haven't found one that really does what we want. We know it is possible as we built a proof of concept in Acrobat and script... but acrobat couldn't deal with over 1,000 fields...

We currently run our (off the shelf) SQLite form app on iPad Pros.  We fill in the form, create a PDF, and then email that pdf out all from our iPads.

Anyway... can anyone point us at a good form/database app builder please?

Bob
[hidden email]
Sent from my iPad

Re: Looking for SQLite app builder

Rich Shepard
On Fri, 17 Aug 2018, Bob Sisson wrote:

> I am looking for a cross platform app builder that will use SQLite to
> build an inspection checklist that will build a "summary page" that takes
> selected check boxes, radio buttons and pull downs and looks up their
> expanded values and fills in a summary page to be printed.

Bob,

   Since SQLite is an embedded database back end to an application you need
both a UI and middleware. What you use depends on the platform on which you
run your computers and the language you prefer to use to build your tools.

   Without knowing any of this I will crawl out on a limb and suggest you use
Django <https://www.djangoproject.com/>.

HTH,

Rich

Re: Looking for SQLite app builder

Jens Alfke-2

> On Aug 17, 2018, at 11:11 AM, Bob Sisson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am looking for a cross platform app builder that will use SQLite to build an inspection checklist that will build a "summary page" that takes selected check boxes, radio buttons and pull downs and looks up their expanded values and fills in a summary page to be printed.

From your description it's not clear why this app needs to use SQLite — it's an embedded library, so it shouldn't be a detail you need to care about. (Zillions of iOS apps use SQLite under the hood.)

If you're just looking for a PDF form-filling app, this probably isn't the right forum to ask in.

—Jens

On 17 Aug 2018, at 7:11pm, Bob Sisson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> but acrobat couldn't deal with over 1,000 fields...

You would not want a table with over 1,000 fields.  That is an extremely unusual way to use a SQL database.

However, I do not thing you want to use SQLite directly, and do all the low level programming yourself.  I think you want to use something like FileMaker to do the work for you.  Good luck.

Re: Looking for SQLite app builder

R Smith-2
On 2018/08/17 8:11 PM, Bob Sisson wrote:
> I am looking for a cross platform app builder that will use SQLite to build an inspection checklist that will build a "summary page" that takes selected check boxes, radio buttons and pull downs and looks up their expanded values and fills in a summary page to be printed.

This sounds somewhere between weird and wrong, which is why you are
getting replies about the question being confusing. I'm assuming /
hoping that you meant the following:
"I am looking for an App development platform that can build a
cross-platform app which will have checklists with very many items (that
can be checked/selected) and then be saved to an SQLite database and
then able to query the data to produce a short summary page which can be
displayed to the user and be printed."

It is also possible that you meant that the app should "generate the
checklists" from data that you have pre-loaded into an SQLite database.

Both of these things are extremely easy to do using HTML5 and PHP - it's
as cross-platform as it gets, and PHP can natively understand SQLite
Databases (and others). The summary can be output as HTML or PDF and
even mailed to anywhere. Submitting the data will also add it directly
to your central web server, and more importantly, the moment you change
a checklist, it will be changed immediately for all users, no need to
send a refreshed set of data. Any server running a basic LAMPP stack
will suffice, and any browser on any device will be your oyster.

Now there's lots of information missing about your use-case, but if you
say PDF forms could do it (barring the field-count), it means that
PHP+HMTL5 will do it significantly better and easier. It will then be
easy to  later add fun things like who submitted which checklist at
which time, and which items were all (un)checked when they did. etc.[*]

One caveat I can think of: Most phone browsers will need a live internet
connection to function. Computer browsers can typically function
off-line, but to submit a filled-in checklist will again need a live
internet connection.

Cheers!
Ryan

[*] - We've done similar things a few times (as have others here), if
you need some more specific information, pointers or assistance, will
gladly help, but mail us off-line because that falls far outside the
scope of interest of this forum.