Looking for a cryptographic library

ajm

Looking for a cryptographic library

ajm
Hi all:

I'm writing an application that uses SQLite to store user's data, and need a library to crypt some stuff, including passwords and data. The goal is to crypt before insert and decript after extract tha data, so this last can't be seen by others who gain access to the SQLite dataBase. The application don't need military security level :-)

I have been reading about Blowfish, but it seem that it encrypts data in 8-byte blocks, and I suppose that it need pad the data to 8-byte round, who might cause some headache.

The ideal is some freeware library although commercial products can also be considered. Of course the final product must be commercially distributable without patent issues.

Any advice in this matter would be grateful

A.J.Millan

Re: Looking for a cryptographic library

Clay Dowling
There are two options:

1. D. Richard Hipp sells a version which encrypts the file on disk.  This
might be the fastest and easiest route.

2. OpenSSL offers as much encryption as you're likely to need if you're
willing to deal with the paucity of documentation.  Linux Journal had a
couple of articles on using OpenSSL for encryption, although I don't know
if they covered using OpenSSL from code.

Clay

--
Lazarus Registration
http://www.lazarusid.com/registration.shtml

Re: Looking for a cryptographic library

Günter Greschenz
hi,

i've written some sqlite-functions to crypt (blowfish) or compress
(bzip) data in sqlite:
e.g.
    insert into blubs values (crypt('data','pwd'))
or
    select from xyz where decompress(data) = 'blablabla'
or
    select from xyz where data = compress('blablabla')

but you have to wait until next weekend, because i'v traveling for my
company at the moment and return on friday (i hope :-)

cu, gg

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I'm writing an application that uses SQLite to store user's data, and need a library to crypt some stuff, including passwords and data. The goal is to crypt before insert and decript after extract tha data, so this last can't be seen by others who gain access to the SQLite dataBase. The application don't need military security level :-)
>
> I have been reading about Blowfish, but it seem that it encrypts data in 8-byte blocks, and I suppose that it need pad the data to 8-byte round, who might cause some headache.
>
> The ideal is some freeware library although commercial products can also be considered. Of course the final product must be commercially distributable without patent issues.
>
> Any advice in this matter would be grateful
>
> A.J.Millan

Re: Looking for a cryptographic library

Teg-3
Hello ajm,

Monday, August 20, 2007, 8:20:37 AM, you wrote:

azc> Hi all:

azc> I'm writing an application that uses SQLite to store user's
azc> data, and need a library to crypt some stuff, including passwords
azc> and data. The goal is to crypt before insert and decript after
azc> extract tha data, so this last can't be seen by others who gain
azc> access to the SQLite dataBase. The application don't need military security level :-)

azc> I have been reading about Blowfish, but it seem that it encrypts
azc> data in 8-byte blocks, and I suppose that it need pad the data to
azc> 8-byte round, who might cause some headache.

azc> The ideal is some freeware library although commercial products
azc> can also be considered. Of course the final product must be
azc> commercially distributable without patent issues.

azc> Any advice in this matter would be grateful

azc> A.J.Millan

I use OpenSSL with AES to encrypt specific fields. You do have to pad,
at least with AES. If you're just encrypting strings the padding won't
matter as long as you include the null terminator in the encrypted
data. When it decrypts, you'll still end up with a null terminated
string. You save the encrypted data as blobs though, you could text
encode them and save them as strings if you wanted too. You MAY want
to CRC the strings and include the CRC in the blob so, you know
whether the decrypt worked properly.

I'm planning on buying the crypto-version of SQLite too but, that part
of my project is sidelined at the moment. The benefit of the
crypto-sqlite is that users can't even see the tables or schema so,
you're really protected. I don't want the schema visible so, my
competitors can't see what I'm doing.

Keep in mind, if the password for the DB is hard-coded into the program
then anyone can get at it.

--
Best regards,
 Teg                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Looking for a cryptographic library

Ulrich Telle

> I'm writing an application that uses SQLite to store user's data,
> and need a library to crypt some stuff, including passwords and data.
> The goal is to crypt before insert and decript after extract tha data,
> so this last can't be seen by others who gain access to the SQLite
> dataBase.

I have written a crypt extension for SQLite which uses the same API as the commercial solution of D.R. Hipp. This extension crypts the whole database file so it's not even possible to analyze the database schema for unauthorized users.

This extension is distributed together with my wxWidgets component wxSQLite3, but it can be used without wxSQLite3 and wxWidgets.

It's downloadable from

http://wxcode.sourceforge.net/components/wxsqlite3/

You have to get the SQLite sources, too, to be able to build a SQLite DLL/library with encryption support.

One SQLite source file needs modification. The latest wxSQLite3 release includes the required modified files up to SQLite 3.3.17. If you decide to use my extension and need to support SQLite 3.4.x you may contact me by private mail.

> The application don't need military security level :-)

The extension uses 128-Bit-AES encryption.

> The ideal is some freeware library although commercial products can also
> be considered. Of course the final product must be commercially
> distributable without patent issues.

My extension may be used in commercial projects.

Regards,

Ulrich

Re: Looking for a cryptographic library

Günter Greschenz
ok, no problem...
as soon as i am at home again from my business trip, i will move the
sources to my webserver so everybody can download it...
i will post a message with a link then.
nice holidays :-)
gg

[hidden email] wrote:

> Günter:
>
> Thanks for yours quick response.
>
> Really I'm interested in yours BlowFish  sqlite-functions to crypt,
> but in the next days (from 24 to 31) I'm going to have a rest, You
> know, my holiday period :-), so I can drop a letter to you in
> September to know about your functions and some other details.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Adolfo J. Millan
> ZATOR Systems

Re: Looking for a cryptographic library

Ray Hurst
Search for the following on the web:
        BeeCrypt, CryptoPP, OpenSSL
Ray Hurst

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I'm writing an application that uses SQLite to store user's data, and need a library to crypt some stuff, including passwords and data. The goal is to crypt before insert and decript after extract tha data, so this last can't be seen by others who gain access to the SQLite dataBase. The application don't need military security level :-)
>
> I have been reading about Blowfish, but it seem that it encrypts data in 8-byte blocks, and I suppose that it need pad the data to 8-byte round, who might cause some headache.
>
> The ideal is some freeware library although commercial products can also be considered. Of course the final product must be commercially distributable without patent issues.
>
> Any advice in this matter would be grateful
>
> A.J.Millan

Re: Looking for a cryptographic library

John Mason Jr
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/cryptlib/>

John

Raymond Hurst wrote:

> Search for the following on the web:
>     BeeCrypt, CryptoPP, OpenSSL
> Ray Hurst
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi all:
>> I'm writing an application that uses SQLite to store user's data, and
>> need a library to crypt some stuff, including passwords and data. The
>> goal is to crypt before insert and decript after extract tha data, so
>> this last can't be seen by others who gain access to the SQLite
>> dataBase. The application don't need military security level :-)
>> I have been reading about Blowfish, but it seem that it encrypts data
>> in 8-byte blocks, and I suppose that it need pad the data to 8-byte
>> round, who might cause some headache.
>> The ideal is some freeware library although commercial products can
>> also be considered. Of course the final product must be commercially
>> distributable without patent issues.
>> Any advice in this matter would be grateful
>> A.J.Millan

Re: Looking for a cryptographic library

RohitPatel9999
Please look at the following link, for few easy-to-use free simple code-packages (two or three) for Encryption and Decryption.

http://www.efgh.com/software/

Rohit

Re: Looking for a cryptographic library

Günter Greschenz
hi,

after a long time being on a business trip, i finally came home and have
now the chance to upload the sources to my webserver:

http://greschenz.dyndns.org/sqlite.html

these sources have never been in a productive system, i just implemented
it for fun...
what i want to say: i never tested it really good !

cu, gg