Mailinglist question

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Mailinglist question

larshgf
Hi

Is it possible to read the mails directly on a server instead of receiving
the mails constantly?

Regards

Lars

_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mailinglist question

Nico Williams
On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 09:10:58PM +0200, Lars Frederiksen wrote:
> Is it possible to read the mails directly on a server instead of receiving
> the mails constantly?

There are several archives online, and if you're subscribed you can use
your list subscription password to use the mailman archives.

(It'd be great to have mostly-read-only public IMAP servers serving
mailing list archives.  I say mostly-read-only because one should want
to keep track of what one has read, responded to, flagged, and
"deleted".  But this concept appears to be a pipe dream at this time.)

Nico
--
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mailinglist question

Jens Alfke-2

> On Aug 9, 2017, at 12:31 PM, Nico Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> (It'd be great to have mostly-read-only public IMAP servers serving
> mailing list archives.  I say mostly-read-only because one should want
> to keep track of what one has read, responded to, flagged, and
> "deleted".  But this concept appears to be a pipe dream at this time.)

I literally spent years exploring concepts in that vein, and almost got a product like that built while I was at Apple ten years ago.

The closest existing solution I’ve found is groups.io <http://groups.io/>, which is a pretty good integration of mailing-lists and web-forums. You can get posts as emails or in a web interface, every email has a link to a view of the thread, and of course you can browse and search the archives. (Yeah, it’s a lot like Google Groups, but IMHO the functionality is better and the UI cleaner.)

—Jens
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mailinglist question

Nico Williams
On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 12:38:42PM -0700, Jens Alfke wrote:
> > On Aug 9, 2017, at 12:31 PM, Nico Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > (It'd be great to have mostly-read-only public IMAP servers serving
> > mailing list archives.  I say mostly-read-only because one should want
> > to keep track of what one has read, responded to, flagged, and
> > "deleted".  But this concept appears to be a pipe dream at this time.)
>
> I literally spent years exploring concepts in that vein, and almost
> got a product like that built while I was at Apple ten years ago.

Supposedly the IETF was going to contract out setting up such a service
for IETF lists.  IDK what became of that.  I should check.

> The closest existing solution I’ve found is groups.io
> <http://groups.io/>, which is a pretty good integration of
> mailing-lists and web-forums. You can get posts as emails or in a web
> interface, every email has a link to a view of the thread, and of
> course you can browse and search the archives. (Yeah, it’s a lot like
> Google Groups, but IMHO the functionality is better and the UI
> cleaner.)

I'm not fond of web fora, but a good integration would be nice, for
sure.  An IMAP service would be fantastic for users like me.  The need
to keep some state (unless we enhance MUAs to do it for read-only IMAP
mailboxes) requires user accounts, which requires more of a business
model :(

Nico
--
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mailinglist question

Peter da Silva
On 8/9/17, 2:45 PM, "sqlite-users on behalf of Nico Williams" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not fond of web fora, but a good integration would be nice, for sure.  An IMAP service would be fantastic for users like me.  The need to keep some state (unless we enhance MUAs to do it for read-only IMAP mailboxes) requires user accounts, which requires more of a business model :(

Set up a Usenet server: NNTP reader mode/NNRP keeps that state in the client.

_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mailinglist question

Simon Slavin-3
In reply to this post by larshgf


On 9 Aug 2017, at 8:10pm, Lars Frederiksen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it possible to read the mails directly on a server instead of receiving
> the mails constantly?

Sure.  See

<https://www.mail-archive.com/sqlite-users@.../>

Simon.
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mailinglist question

Keith Medcalf
In reply to this post by Jens Alfke-2

There is a solution since about 1984 ... it is called NNTP (Usenet News).  Google Groups is basically Usenet News with a (so some people thing -- but not I -- I detest so-called web-forums) purty front end to the news reader.  Gateways between mailman, bitnet, usenet, and a bunch of other stuff existed for a long time (and still do, mostly).

---
The fact that there's a Highway to Hell but only a Stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic volume.

>-----Original Message-----
>From: sqlite-users [mailto:sqlite-users-
>[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Jens Alfke
>Sent: Wednesday, 9 August, 2017 13:39
>To: SQLite mailing list
>Subject: Re: [sqlite] Mailinglist question
>
>
>> On Aug 9, 2017, at 12:31 PM, Nico Williams <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>
>> (It'd be great to have mostly-read-only public IMAP servers serving
>> mailing list archives.  I say mostly-read-only because one should
>want
>> to keep track of what one has read, responded to, flagged, and
>> "deleted".  But this concept appears to be a pipe dream at this
>time.)
>
>I literally spent years exploring concepts in that vein, and almost
>got a product like that built while I was at Apple ten years ago.
>
>The closest existing solution I’ve found is groups.io
><http://groups.io/>, which is a pretty good integration of mailing-
>lists and web-forums. You can get posts as emails or in a web
>interface, every email has a link to a view of the thread, and of
>course you can browse and search the archives. (Yeah, it’s a lot like
>Google Groups, but IMHO the functionality is better and the UI
>cleaner.)
>
>—Jens
>_______________________________________________
>sqlite-users mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users



_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mailinglist question

Nico Williams
On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 03:48:34PM -0600, Keith Medcalf wrote:
> There is a solution since about 1984 ... it is called NNTP (Usenet
> News).  Google Groups is basically Usenet News with a (so some people
> thing -- but not I -- I detest so-called web-forums) purty front end
> to the news reader.  Gateways between mailman, bitnet, usenet, and a
> bunch of other stuff existed for a long time (and still do, mostly).

I... would like to use NNTP, but I'd need someone to provide the
service.  Though I'd be annoyed at having to use two different UAs (I
use mutt primarily; it doesn't support NNTP).

On the other hand, anyone running a mailing list could easily provide a
read-only IMAP service given a suitable implementation.  That would be
easy enough for users, but the MUA bits are missing.  (Sadly, very
little work is being done on MUAs.)  Providing a mostly-read-only IMAP
service would be possible, but it requires at least a modicum of account
provisioning.

What a mess.

Another thing I've done in the past is: download list archives, run a
script to fix the From lines so the archive is then a proper mbox
format, then use mutt.  :)  It helps if the archives keep Message-ID
headers.

Nico
--
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mailinglist question

Rich Shepard
On Wed, 9 Aug 2017, Nico Williams wrote:

> Another thing I've done in the past is: download list archives, run a
> script to fix the From lines so the archive is then a proper mbox format,
> then use mutt. :) It helps if the archives keep Message-ID headers.

Nico,

   I've not followed this thread so my comment might be way off-base.
However, ... I use alpine (and pine before that) which uses mbox for
messages, with a direct subscription to the mail list. I run postfix here
but need to now relay outboun messages through my ISP since Frontier
Communications no longer supports my static IP address and I'm forced to use
their DHCP server. Inbound messages, however, come directly in and are
stored in ~/mail/sqlite.

Rich
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mailinglist question

Jungle Boogie
In reply to this post by Nico Williams
On 9 August 2017 at 15:02, Nico Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 03:48:34PM -0600, Keith Medcalf wrote:
>> There is a solution since about 1984 ... it is called NNTP (Usenet
>> News).  Google Groups is basically Usenet News with a (so some people
>> thing -- but not I -- I detest so-called web-forums) purty front end
>> to the news reader.  Gateways between mailman, bitnet, usenet, and a
>> bunch of other stuff existed for a long time (and still do, mostly).
>
> I... would like to use NNTP, but I'd need someone to provide the
> service.  Though I'd be annoyed at having to use two different UAs (I
> use mutt primarily; it doesn't support NNTP).
>

Here's a usenet provider:
https://www.eternal-september.org
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

I think mutt can be patched to support nntp.
I've used slrn and it's pretty straight forward to use, but I
understand the switch clients issue.
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mailinglist question

Wolfgang Enzinger
In reply to this post by Nico Williams
Am Wed, 9 Aug 2017 17:02:42 -0500 schrieb Nico Williams:

> I... would like to use NNTP, but I'd need someone to provide the
> service.

I'm connected to this mailing list as if it was a newsgroup using
nntp://news.gmane.org:563/gmane.comp.db.sqlite.general. No authentication
required. Of course, for posting you have to be subscribed to the list.
(all info AFAIK)

HTH Wolfgang

_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mailinglist question

Simon Slavin-3
Archive of this list, with less than 24 hours lag, here:

<https://www.mail-archive.com/sqlite-users@.../>

Simon.
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mailinglist question

wmertens
The one sad thing about this really wonderful mailing list is that its
archives seem to rank really low in Google searches. Whenever I search for
something, I've not encountered the archives with answers yet.

Google groups has all the features requested here. I wonder if it can't be
set up as a gateway to this mailing list? So subscribe Google to here and
vice versa; when someone sends email to the Google Group it would arrive on
this list (with a different From address but I suppose that's alright)

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017, 2:54 AM Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Archive of this list, with less than 24 hours lag, here:
>
> <https://www.mail-archive.com/sqlite-users@.../>
>
> Simon.
> _______________________________________________
> sqlite-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
>
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mailinglist question

Eric-2
In reply to this post by Keith Medcalf
On Wed, 09 Aug 2017 15:48:34 -0600, "Keith Medcalf" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is a solution since about 1984 ... it is called NNTP (Usenet News).
> Google Groups is basically Usenet News with a (so some people thing
> -- but not I -- I detest so-called web-forums) purty front end to the
> news reader.

The vast majority of Google Groups have nothing to do with Usenet News
and are simply groups run by Google. Yes, there is an interface to
Usenet News which makes newsgroups look like Google Groups, but it has
many problems, not least that it is a major source of spam to the groups.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Loading...