My 1st C++ SQLite3 program

papa
class SQLite3_RDB {
     private:
         sqlite3* db; //!< Data Base
         std::string database_name;
    public:
         SQLite3_RDB();
         ~SQLite3_RDB(){sqlite3_close(db); }
};
SQLite3_RDB::SQLite3_RDB(){
     databese_name.assign("information.sql3db");
     rc = sqlite3_open(databese_name.c_str(), &db);
     std::cout << "RC: " << rc << std::endl; // ==> RC: 14
}

Why do I get this error message?
Any help is appreciated.

--
ArbolOne.ca
Using Fire Fox and Thunderbird.

Re: My 1st C++ SQLite3 program

Igor Korot
Hi,

On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 9:34 PM, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> class SQLite3_RDB {
>     private:
>         sqlite3* db; //!< Data Base
>         std::string database_name;
>    public:
>         SQLite3_RDB();
>         ~SQLite3_RDB(){sqlite3_close(db); }
> };
> SQLite3_RDB::SQLite3_RDB(){
>     databese_name.assign("information.sql3db");
>     rc = sqlite3_open(databese_name.c_str(), &db);
>     std::cout << "RC: " << rc << std::endl; // ==> RC: 14

RC14 => /* Unable to open the database file */

Do you have appropriate rights to create/open file in the directory?
Are you trying to run it on the system with the AV/FW installed?

Thank you.

On 27 Aug 2017, at 2:34am, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why do I get this error message?

Try having the program using file calls to open a simple text file in the same directory.  Does that succeed ?

Re: My 1st C++ SQLite3 program

papa
First and foremost, I'd like to thank everybody for your replies.
Although I have sound knowledge and understanding of C++ [ that can be
debatable ] and still remember a little how C works, I have no Idea how
to utilize the API of SQLitle3. Therefore, it is very difficult for me
to apply the advice given by you all, so, please, using the code I have
provided in the OP, how can I implement your advice?

Again, thanks ya'll for all the help.

On 2017-08-26 11:28 PM, Simon Slavin wrote:

> On 27 Aug 2017, at 2:34am, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Why do I get this error message?
> Try having the program using file calls to open a simple text file in the same directory.  Does that succeed ?
>
> Simon.

ArbolOne.ca
Using Fire Fox and Thunderbird.
ArbolOne is composed of students and volunteers dedicated to providing free services to charitable organizations.
ArbolOne on Java Development in progress [ í ]

Re: My 1st C++ SQLite3 program

Tim Streater-3
On 27 Aug 2017, at 15:35, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> First and foremost, I'd like to thank everybody for your replies.
> Although I have sound knowledge and understanding of C++ [ that can be
> debatable ] and still remember a little how C works, I have no Idea how
> to utilize the API of SQLitle3. Therefore, it is very difficult for me
> to apply the advice given by you all, so, please, using the code I have
> provided in the OP, how can I implement your advice?
>
> Again, thanks ya'll for all the help.
>

> On 2017-08-26 11:28 PM, Simon Slavin wrote:
>>
>> On 27 Aug 2017, at 2:34am, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Why do I get this error message?
>>  Try having the program using file calls to open a simple text file in the
>> same directory.  Does that succeed ?

Do what Simon suggests here. It does not require the SQLite3 API.

--
Cheers  --  Tim

Re: My 1st C++ SQLite3 program

Igor Korot

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> First and foremost, I'd like to thank everybody for your replies.
> Although I have sound knowledge and understanding of C++ [ that can be
> debatable ] and still remember a little how C works, I have no Idea how to
> utilize the API of SQLitle3. Therefore, it is very difficult for me to apply
> the advice given by you all, so, please, using the code I have provided in
> the OP, how can I implement your advice?
>
> Again, thanks ya'll for all the help.

You should know in which direcvtory you are trying to open
the database.
Open Windows Explorer, go to this directory and try to create a new file.

Adjust accordingly if you are on the other platform.

Thank you.

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Tim Streater <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 Aug 2017, at 15:35, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> First and foremost, I'd like to thank everybody for your replies.
>> Although I have sound knowledge and understanding of C++ [ that can be
>> debatable ] and still remember a little how C works, I have no Idea how
>> to utilize the API of SQLitle3. Therefore, it is very difficult for me
>> to apply the advice given by you all, so, please, using the code I have
>> provided in the OP, how can I implement your advice?
>>
>> Again, thanks ya'll for all the help.

Or insted of calling sqlite3_open() try to call fopen() C function.

>>>  Try having the program using file calls to open a simple text file in the
>>> same directory.  Does that succeed ?
>
> Do what Simon suggests here. It does not require the SQLite3 API.
>

> --
> Cheers  --  Tim

Re: My 1st C++ SQLite3 program

On 27 Aug 2017, at 3:35pm, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> First and foremost, I'd like to thank everybody for your replies.
> Although I have sound knowledge and understanding of C++ [ that can be debatable ] and still remember a little how C works, I have no Idea how to utilize the API of SQLitle3. Therefore, it is very difficult for me to apply the advice given by you all, so, please, using the code I have provided in the OP, how can I implement your advice?

There’s nothing obvious wrong with your SQLite code.  So we think your program just doesn’t have enough permissions to create/open and file in that directory.

So we’re suggesting you ignore the SQLite library for now, and just use fopen() fwrite() and fclose() to create a text file in that same directory.  If that fails, you have a far simpler problem to debug — one which doesn’t involve SQLite.  If it works, then we have some information we can use for debugging.

Re: My 1st C++ SQLite3 program

Chris Waters
Pardon my abject ignorance of C and C++. But just a quick naive observation.
Does it have anything to do with the fact that the string is declared "database_name", but the invocation uses "databese_name". ???

> Chris.

Re: My 1st C++ SQLite3 program

Igor Korot
Hi, Chris,

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 6:53 PM, Chris Waters <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Pardon my abject ignorance of C and C++. But just a quick naive observation.
> Does it have anything to do with the fact that the string is declared "database_name", but the invocation uses "databese_name". ???

It will just create a new database named "databese_name", so now it is not.

Thank you.

>> Chris.

Re: My 1st C++ SQLite3 program

Don V Nielsen
database_name is never assigned a value? In SQLite3_RDB::SQLite3_RDB() it
is spelled databese_name?

On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 10:28 PM, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 Aug 2017, at 2:34am, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Why do I get this error message?
>
> Try having the program using file calls to open a simple text file in the
> same directory.  Does that succeed ?
>
> Simon.

Re: My 1st C++ SQLite3 program

Igor Korot
Don,

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 6:33 AM, Don V Nielsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> database_name is never assigned a value? In SQLite3_RDB::SQLite3_RDB() it
> is spelled databese_name?

That is OK.
The class member is not used anywhere and the "dxatabese_name" local is
used instead.

Thank you.

> On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 10:28 PM, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 27 Aug 2017, at 2:34am, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Why do I get this error message?
>>
>> Try having the program using file calls to open a simple text file in the
>> same directory.  Does that succeed ?
>>
>> Simon.

Re: My 1st C++ SQLite3 program

Jens Alfke-2

> On Aug 26, 2017, at 6:34 PM, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> class SQLite3_RDB {
>     private:
>         sqlite3* db; //!< Data Base
>         std::string database_name;
>    public:
>         SQLite3_RDB();
>         ~SQLite3_RDB(){sqlite3_close(db); }
> };
> SQLite3_RDB::SQLite3_RDB(){
>     databese_name.assign("information.sql3db");
>     rc = sqlite3_open(databese_name.c_str(), &db);
>     std::cout << "RC: " << rc << std::endl; // ==> RC: 14
> }

This code has typos in it — it can't possibly compile as given here. (The variable 'databese_name' is never declared, due to a typo.)
If you want us to help debug your code, you have to copy and paste the code EXACTLY instead of trying to type it in by hand.

—Jens

Re: My 1st C++ SQLite3 program

papa
Thanks everyone.

The problem was resolved by rebooting the computer, strange ain't it?

On 2017-08-27 10:55 AM, Tim Streater wrote:

> On 27 Aug 2017, at 15:35, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> First and foremost, I'd like to thank everybody for your replies.
>> Although I have sound knowledge and understanding of C++ [ that can be
>> debatable ] and still remember a little how C works, I have no Idea how
>> to utilize the API of SQLitle3. Therefore, it is very difficult for me
>> to apply the advice given by you all, so, please, using the code I have
>> provided in the OP, how can I implement your advice?
>>
>> Again, thanks ya'll for all the help.

>>>   Try having the program using file calls to open a simple text file in the
>>> same directory.  Does that succeed ?
> Do what Simon suggests here. It does not require the SQLite3 API.
>

> --
> Cheers  --  Tim

ArbolOne.ca
Using Fire Fox and Thunderbird.
ArbolOne is composed of students and volunteers dedicated to providing free services to charitable organizations.
ArbolOne on Java Development in progress [ í ]

Re: My 1st C++ SQLite3 program

John McKown
On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks everyone.
>
> The problem was resolved by rebooting the computer, strange ain't it?

​Ah, yes, the main "solution" to most Windows problems. It's what our
desktop ask first - have you rebooted? Yes, and it didn't work? Did you
power cycle the PC? The best that I've gotten so far: Unplug the network
cable; turn off the PC; unplug the power cable; wait 10 minutes; reattach
the network cable; plug the PC back in; power up. I guess the next step is
"shoot either the machine or yourself".

> On 2017-08-27 10:55 AM, Tim Streater wrote:
>
>> On 27 Aug 2017, at 15:35, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> First and foremost, I'd like to thank everybody for your replies.
>>> Although I have sound knowledge and understanding of C++ [ that can be
>>> debatable ] and still remember a little how C works, I have no Idea how
>>> to utilize the API of SQLitle3. Therefore, it is very difficult for me
>>> to apply the advice given by you all, so, please, using the code I have
>>> provided in the OP, how can I implement your advice?
>>>
>>> Again, thanks ya'll for all the help.

>>> Do what Simon suggests here. It does not require the SQLite3 API.
>>

>> --
>> Cheers  --  Tim

> ArbolOne.ca
> Using Fire Fox and Thunderbird.
> ArbolOne is composed of students and volunteers dedicated to providing
> free services to charitable organizations.
> ArbolOne on Java Development in progress [ í ]

If you look around the poker table & don't see an obvious sucker, it's you.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

Re: My 1st C++ SQLite3 program

On 28 Aug 2017, at 7:11pm, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks everyone.
>
> The problem was resolved by rebooting the computer, strange ain't it?

Congratulations for figuring it out.  You will probably never know what was wrong.  We’ve all done it.

Re: My 1st C++ SQLite3 program

papa
:-) LOL, yes, that is the gift from MS to the world, LOL.
On 2017-08-28 2:20 PM, John McKown wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks everyone.
>>
>> The problem was resolved by rebooting the computer, strange ain't it?
>>
> ​Ah, yes, the main "solution" to most Windows problems. It's what our
> desktop ask first - have you rebooted? Yes, and it didn't work? Did you
> power cycle the PC? The best that I've gotten so far: Unplug the network
> cable; turn off the PC; unplug the power cable; wait 10 minutes; reattach
> the network cable; plug the PC back in; power up. I guess the next step is
> "shoot either the machine or yourself".
>

>> On 2017-08-27 10:55 AM, Tim Streater wrote:
>>
>>> On 27 Aug 2017, at 15:35, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> First and foremost, I'd like to thank everybody for your replies.

>>> --
>>> Cheers  --  Tim
>>>
>> --
>> ArbolOne.ca
>> Using Fire Fox and Thunderbird.
>> ArbolOne is composed of students and volunteers dedicated to providing
>> free services to charitable organizations.
>> ArbolOne on Java Development in progress [ í ]

ArbolOne.ca
Using Fire Fox and Thunderbird.
ArbolOne is composed of students and volunteers dedicated to providing free services to charitable organizations.
ArbolOne on Java Development in progress [ í ]

Re: My 1st C++ SQLite3 program

Keith Medcalf

And now, of course, unless you have turned off the ill-conceived fastboot, shutdown does not work properly anymore either.