MySQL makes me wish for SQLite

Fred Williams-5
Just began coming back to speed on MySQL after many years. (Thanks to
SQLite)  Boy does it SUCK!

I've already eaten up the better part of 150MB of disk space, run
installation repair once, (of many?) and still trying to find the
"admin" logon and password.  Damn!  It has been too long!

Please, is someone working on a good straight forward .PHP SQLite
interface?  I might even pay for it!

Need a "drop in" SQLite implementation for a website database.  I'll
endure MySQL for the meantime.  Like I use to prostitute myself with MS
Server.  BUT, I'm already ready to JUMP!

Sorry, I guess you might have noticed my frustration is showing a bit...

Fred

Re: MySQL makes me wish for SQLite

Hoover, Jeffrey
I saw something about an ODBC module for SQLite.
Could you workaround the PHP-SQLite issues via ODBC?

-Jeff

Re: MySQL makes me wish for SQLite

Fred Williams-5
Not sure yet.  It would need to implemented on the host machine I think.
I'm super timeframe compressed right now.  In the future I hope to have some
"research" time available.

I have found a rather simple .PHP SQLite "object" and hope to look a little
closer at it when I get that 25 hour day I've been needing.

I think my previous message was a bit of a vent.  But one does often wish
for "White Knights", like when I found Dr. Hip's little less than 500K bit
of code.

Fred

I saw something about an ODBC module for SQLite.
Could you workaround the PHP-SQLite issues via ODBC?

-Jeff

Re: MySQL makes me wish for SQLite

Jay Kreibich
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 03:24:09PM -0500, Fred Williams scratched on the wall:

> Please, is someone working on a good straight forward .PHP SQLite
> interface?  I might even pay for it!

  *Confused*

  SQLite is built-in to the standard PHP5 distribution.

    http://php.net/sqlite

  Is the native interface really that bad or something?

   -j

--
Jay A. Kreibich < J A Y  @  K R E I B I.C H >

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs.  We have
 a protractor."   "I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler
 and a piece of string."  --from Anathem by Neal Stephenson

Re: MySQL makes me wish for SQLite

Darren Duncan
Fred Williams wrote:
> I've already eaten up the better part of 150MB of disk space, run
> installation repair once, (of many?) and still trying to find the
> "admin" logon and password.  Damn!  It has been too long!
>
> Please, is someone working on a good straight forward .PHP SQLite
> interface?  I might even pay for it!

PHP 5 has a SQLite3 extension, which is documented at
http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/book.sqlite3.php .  This is bundled and active by
default as of PHP 5.3.0.  I would naively think that's what you seek, and if not
then I'd ask why.

Also, a comment in the introduction for the above, at
http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/intro.sqlite3.php#89809 , says that the current
recommended way to *natively* use SQLite 3 with PHP 5 is using a PDO object,
which lets you call any function that the SQLite library exposes.

Of course.  If you weren't stuck on PHP I would also recommend using a different
program language with strong or superior SQLite support, such as Perl's DBD::SQLite.

-- Darren Duncan

Re: MySQL makes me wish for SQLite

Fred Williams-5
Hummm...

Perhaps I should do a little more homework.

I'm looking at a packaged "Shopping Cart" and wishing I could boot out the
MySQL.  Next release is promising broader database support.  BUT, it has
been getting ready for Beta "real soon" for about nine months now.

Besides, I just got back from Big Lots! where I bought some cheap Chinese
tools and I feel better now :-)

Fred

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 03:24:09PM -0500, Fred Williams scratched on the
wall:

> Please, is someone working on a good straight forward .PHP SQLite
> interface?  I might even pay for it!

  *Confused*

  SQLite is built-in to the standard PHP5 distribution.

    http://php.net/sqlite

  Is the native interface really that bad or something?

   -j

--
Jay A. Kreibich < J A Y  @  K R E I B I.C H >

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs.  We have
 a protractor."   "I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler
 and a piece of string."  --from Anathem by Neal Stephenson

Re: MySQL makes me wish for SQLite

Fred Williams-5

> I've already eaten up the better part of 150MB of disk space, run
> installation repair once, (of many?) and still trying to find the
> "admin" logon and password.  Damn!  It has been too long!
>
> Please, is someone working on a good straight forward .PHP SQLite
> interface?  I might even pay for it!

PHP 5 has a SQLite3 extension, which is documented at
http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/book.sqlite3.php .  This is bundled and active
by
default as of PHP 5.3.0.  I would naively think that's what you seek, and if
not
then I'd ask why.

Also, a comment in the introduction for the above, at
http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/intro.sqlite3.php#89809 , says that the current
recommended way to *natively* use SQLite 3 with PHP 5 is using a PDO object,
which lets you call any function that the SQLite library exposes.

Of course.  If you weren't stuck on PHP I would also recommend using a
different
program language with strong or superior SQLite support, such as Perl's
DBD::SQLite.

-- Darren Duncan

Please!  Just one new language at a time! As mentioned in my last message,
I'm stuck with PHP because of a prepackaged web app I don't have the time,
patience, or experience to write from scratch.

You guys are going to make me read yet another d+++m technical manual it
looks like.

Thanks for the "awakening."  Now where did I leave that, "Learn PHP In
Twenty Minutes" book?

Fred

Re: MySQL makes me wish for SQLite

J. King-3
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:11:42 -0400, Fred Williams <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks for the "awakening."  Now where did I leave that, "Learn PHP In
> Twenty Minutes" book?

I may be biased when it comes to PHP, but I find its SQLite interface
perfectly acceptable.  Anyway, you'll definitely want to look at the
following manual pages:

<http://ca2.php.net/manual/en/pdo.construct.php>
<http://ca2.php.net/manual/en/ref.pdo-sqlite.connection.php>

<http://ca2.php.net/manual/en/pdo.prepare.php>
<http://ca2.php.net/manual/en/pdostatement.execute.php>
<http://ca2.php.net/manual/en/pdostatement.fetchall.php>

That's the basics to get you started on interfacing with SQLite; there's
lots more including type binding, transactions and user functions, but you
should be able to find that easily enough.  The PDO interface doesn't
allow for some things like loading extensions (and it's apparently slower,
but I haven't taken the time to compare), but there's always
<http://ca2.php.net/manual/en/book.sqlite3.php> if you have PHP 5.3 on
hand and your existing code works with it.

--
J. King