No such column

ayagmur
Hello,

I have experienced a weird problem. I have been using sqlite database in
linux by mounting.
Nearly all times it works well. But when testing with customer, I encounter
"No such column" error. After restarting system, it works again well.

I wonder why I get such an error? Could you please give me some clues?

Re: No such column

Keith Medcalf

On Sunday, 22 December, 2019 23:20, Aydin Ozgur Yagmur <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I have experienced a weird problem. I have been using sqlite database in
>linux by mounting.
>Nearly all times it works well. But when testing with customer, I
>encounter
>"No such column" error. After restarting system, it works again well.

>I wonder why I get such an error? Could you please give me some clues?

Can you give some clues what "using sqlite database in linux by mounting" means?

Re: No such column

On 23 Dec 2019, at 6:19am, Aydin Ozgur Yagmur <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been using sqlite database in linux by mounting.
> Nearly all times it works well. But when testing with customer, I encounter "No such column" error.

SQLite does not support accessing the database drive across a network.  No network file systems seem to implement file locking correctly, and if file locking doesn't work correctly, SQLite cannot function correctly.  You may find errors like the one you reported, where commands fail to execute correctly.  You may also find that your database has been corrupted, but this happens less often.

It can be very difficult to track down the locking errors which make SQLite fail.  Sometimes a setup will work perfectly, but then occasionally fail after a reboot.  Then another reboot may appear to fix the problem.  We have not found /any/ method of mounting a drive over a network, for any operating system, which we can recommend.

If the database you are using has important data, I suggest you run

    PRAGMA integrity_check

to make sure that the database is not corrupt.  If you don't actually need that database, please delete it and start again with a blank database or a backup.

Re: No such column

ayagmur
Thank you very much Simon, it is quite explicative.

On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 11:38 AM Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23 Dec 2019, at 6:19am, Aydin Ozgur Yagmur <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have been using sqlite database in linux by mounting.
> > Nearly all times it works well. But when testing with customer, I
> encounter "No such column" error.
>
> SQLite does not support accessing the database drive across a network.  No
> network file systems seem to implement file locking correctly, and if file
> locking doesn't work correctly, SQLite cannot function correctly.  You may
> find errors like the one you reported, where commands fail to execute
> correctly.  You may also find that your database has been corrupted, but
> this happens less often.
>
> It can be very difficult to track down the locking errors which make
> SQLite fail.  Sometimes a setup will work perfectly, but then occasionally
> fail after a reboot.  Then another reboot may appear to fix the problem.
> We have not found /any/ method of mounting a drive over a network, for any
> operating system, which we can recommend.
>
> If the database you are using has important data, I suggest you run
>
>     PRAGMA integrity_check
>
> to make sure that the database is not corrupt.  If you don't actually need
> that database, please delete it and start again with a blank database or a
> backup.

Re: No such column

Darren Duncan
On 2019-12-22 10:48 p.m., Keith Medcalf wrote:
> On Sunday, 22 December, 2019 23:20, Aydin Ozgur Yagmur <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have experienced a weird problem. I have been using sqlite database in
>> linux by mounting.
>
> Can you give some clues what "using sqlite database in linux by mounting" means?

My first thought on reading that was that "mounting" meant using the ATTACH
command, since in the analogy of the SQL environment as a filesystem, using
ATTACH is like mounting a volume within the filesystem in order to access the
volume's contents, which are tables. -- Darren Duncan

Re: No such column

ayagmur
In a specific case, we have to use such a scenario.

I'm aware it is contrary to traditional way, but for this specific "mounted
drive" situation, is there a reasonable solution? Any way to avoid this
kind of database file corruption?

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards,