Nuget Sqlite Packages

Jim Boyce
AVISO LEGAL "As informações existentes nesta mensagem e nos arquivos anexados são para uso restrito. A utilização, divulgação, cópia ou distribuição dessa mensagem por qualquer pessoa diferente do destinatário é proibida. Se essa mensagem foi recebida por engano, favor excluí-la e informar ao remetente pelo endereço eletrônico acima." *******************************************************************DISCLAIMER "This email and its attachments may contain privileged and/or confidential information. Use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of this message."

Re: Nuget Sqlite Packages

R Smith

On 2015-09-17 07:19 PM, Jim Boyce wrote:
> DISCLAIMER "This email and its attachments may contain privileged and/or confidential information//...

It might also not contain anything at all.
:)

Re: Nuget Sqlite Packages

Simon Slavin-3

On 17 Sep 2015, at 8:27pm, R.Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2015-09-17 07:19 PM, Jim Boyce wrote:
>> DISCLAIMER "This email and its attachments may contain privileged and/or confidential information//...
>
> It might also not contain anything at all.

Actually, under the laws of both the European Union and the United States of America (no idea about South Africa) use of boilerplate text for messages to people you don't have a contract with invalidates it.  So use for messages which will definitely be posted to the web (as all messages to this mailing list are) automatically invalidate any force those words might have.

European Union law: Reciprocity of contracts requires a party to agree to a contract to be bound by it.  You can't send a message to someone which magically enters them into an agreement.

US law: Model Rule 1.06(c): Confidentiality of Information
"A lawyer shall make reasonable efforts to prevent the inadvertent or unauthorized disclosure of, or unauthorized access to, information relating to the representation of a client." -- no "reasonable effort" if you intentionally send the message to a public mailing list.

Obligatory Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer in either jurisdiction.

Re: Nuget Sqlite Packages

Scott Robison-2
On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 3:18 PM, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17 Sep 2015, at 8:27pm, R.Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 2015-09-17 07:19 PM, Jim Boyce wrote:
> >> DISCLAIMER "This email and its attachments may contain privileged
> and/or confidential information//...
> >
> > It might also not contain anything at all.
>
> Actually, under the laws of both the European Union and the United States
> of America (no idea about South Africa) use of boilerplate text for
> messages to people you don't have a contract with invalidates it.  So use
> for messages which will definitely be posted to the web (as all messages to
> this mailing list are) automatically invalidate any force those words might
> have.
>
> European Union law: Reciprocity of contracts requires a party to agree to
> a contract to be bound by it.  You can't send a message to someone which
> magically enters them into an agreement.
>
> US law: Model Rule 1.06(c): Confidentiality of Information
> "A lawyer shall make reasonable efforts to prevent the inadvertent or
> unauthorized disclosure of, or unauthorized access to, information relating
> to the representation of a client." -- no "reasonable effort" if you
> intentionally send the message to a public mailing list.
>
> Obligatory Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer in either jurisdiction.

I am not either, but it is so amazingly obvious that you are not bound by a
contract that you are not a party to I can't imagine why they keep
including it.

I mean, I understand why they do it. String legal words together and
attempt to intimidate people into bowing to your will. In reality they'd
have a hard time enforcing it.

If I ever received such a thing with any value attached, I might be tempted
into contacting them and offering to be a party to their contract in
exchange for appropriate compensation. :)

It does not help that this boilerplate code is automatically added to every
message through their corporation's mail servers, so it shows up whether or
not there is sensitive information to be protected.

That being said, RSmith's message was amusing. :)

--
Scott Robison

Re: Nuget Sqlite Packages

R Smith

On 2015-09-18 12:08 AM, Scott Robison wrote:
> It does not help that this boilerplate code is automatically added to every
> message through their corporation's mail servers, so it shows up whether or
> not there is sensitive information to be protected.

I often muse weird things late at night while waiting for sleep to
approach... One armchair experiment I like to conduct is imagining how
many units of energy was used in powering the internet specifically
catering for those 300-odd characters appended to near every email from
a corporate source about how much they do NOT want you to read the
entire mail you've just received, should you not be "The One"...

Sure it's a drop in the bucket in terms of total energy consumed on
Earth, but I still think we'd probably be able provide enough power to
run a couple of electric school-buses.

Then again, non-useful replies (like this one) on forums (such as this)
could probably power another few.
:)

Re: Nuget Sqlite Packages

Graham Holden

On 17 Sep 2015, at 8:27pm, R.Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip>

> Obligatory Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer in either jurisdiction.

As you don't have a prior contract, I do not recognise your disclaimer and will therefore hold you personally responsible in both jurisdictions :-)

Graham

Re: Nuget Sqlite Packages

Ned Fleming
On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 06:48:55 +0100, Graham Holden
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>From: Simon Slavin <[hidden email]>
>Date: 17/09/2015  22:18  (GMT+00:00)
>To: General Discussion of SQLite Database <[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [sqlite] Nuget Sqlite Packages
>
>On 17 Sep 2015, at 8:27pm, R.Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> Obligatory Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer in either jurisdiction.
>
>As you don't have a prior contract, I do not recognise your disclaimer and will therefore hold you personally responsible in both jurisdictions :-)

The 5 disclaimers in the link below are among the best,
particulary the 3rd one, in light of this discussion:

        http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/fun.html

--
Ned