Opposite of SQLite

KlaasV
Someone asked:

>> What the opposite of "Lite”?

As in SQLite my suggestion ’SQDark’

Klaas ‘Z4us’ van B. V

Klaas "Z4us" V, MetaDBA at InnocentIsArt.EU

Re: Opposite of SQLite

Ned Fleming

> Someone asked:
>
>>> What the opposite of "Lite”?

SQLessLite

--
Ned

Re: Opposite of SQLite

John McKown
On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 1:55 PM Ned Fleming <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Someone asked:

> SQLessLite

NoSQLHeavy?

--
I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go
into the library and read a good book

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

Re: Opposite of SQLite

David Raymond
SQLephantine

Re: Opposite of SQLite

skywalk
etiLQS or SQLead or SQLdark
Haha

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019, 3:07 PM David Raymond <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> SQLephantine

Re: Opposite of SQLite

On 10 Oct 2019, at 7:55pm, Ned Fleming <[hidden email]> wrote:

> SQLessLite

SQDietStartsMonday

SQLite plus the works (was Re: Opposite of SQLite)

Jose Isaias Cabrera-4

Simon Slavin, on Thursday, October 10, 2019 03:42 PM, wrote...

> On 10 Oct 2019, at 7:55pm, Ned Fleming, on
>
> > SQLessLite
>
> SQDietStartsMonday

All kidding aside, and naming continuing, :-), I believe the world will be a happier place with:
1. The normal SQLite snapshots (just like it's working right now)
2. The normal SQlite snapshots plus a series of libraries and functions that can easily be compiled with the original light SQLite.

I know this sounds simple, but, with all the brain in this group, excluding mine, I think we can manage to have that wonderful tool. ;-)  My thinking out-loud.  Thanks.

josé

Re: SQLite plus the works (was Re: Opposite of SQLite)

Brent Wood
 It would be very useful (for me anyway :-) if SQLite followed the Postgres way of being able to install extensions - so for things like Spatialite it would be more embedded than stuck on the side...
Retain the core "lite" DBMS but better facilitate being able to expand the functionality.

Brent Wood

On 10 Oct 2019, at 9:03pm, Jose Isaias Cabrera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2. The normal SQlite snapshots plus a series of libraries and functions that can easily be compiled with the original light SQLite.

Here's the simple way to start the project without breaking anything.

Believers in SQLHeavy (or whatever it gets called) should set up a web site listing a set of addon libraries for SQLite in various categories: Unicode, Math functions, Map coordinates, etc..  Keywords, descriptions, download links.

The maintenance job is that each time SQLite gets updated, to make sure that the update doesn't break any of the libraries.  Which can conveniently be done using the new testing facilities in the SQLite command-line tool.

And no, I'm not going to do it myself.  Because I'm not a believer in SQLHeavy.  I don't think such a project would lead to anything worthwhile.

Re: SQLite plus the works (was Re: Opposite of SQLite)

Roman Fleysher
With your brain excluded, who is "we"?

The beauty of SQLite is that SQL was distilled to the smallest and most reproducible on many platforms set. Over time, I see how developers expand functionality to make it more convenient while maintaining reproducibility across platforms. Time, date, math operations are extremely hard to make reproducible. SQLite is small in SQL already: It has LEFT JOIN and does not have RIGHT JOIN. Why? Because RIGHT can be made out of LEFT by swapping order of tables. That is how small it is. The new functionality should be more substantial than swapping the order of tables or adding extra SQL line of code for date manipulation.

More over, SQLIte already has extension mechanism and many libraries have been written:

https://www.sqlite.org/contrib/

The "we" can add to it date manipulation routines and many other.

SQLite is a beauty. Learn to see it!

Roman

https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmailinglists.sqlite.org%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fsqlite-users&amp;data=02%7C01%7Croman.fleysher%40einstein.yu.edu%7Cb2cee1314300447dc76908d74dbcdc26%7C04c70eb48f2648079934e02e89266ad0%7C1%7C1%7C637063345849192991&amp;sdata=utw834l9YsRZp2ozCk7LQ2wfmedtnZB4aWNbP4nrYi0%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: SQLite plus the works (was Re: Opposite of SQLite)

Jose Isaias Cabrera-4

Simon Slavin, on Thursday, October 10, 2019 04:12 PM, wrote...

> On 10 Oct 2019, at 9:03pm, Jose Isaias Cabrera, on
>
> > 2. The normal SQlite snapshots plus a series of libraries and functions that
> can easily be compiled with the original light SQLite.
>
> Here's the simple way to start the project without breaking anything.
>
> Believers in SQLHeavy (or whatever it gets called) should set up a web site
> listing a set of addon libraries for SQLite in various categories: Unicode,
> Math functions, Map coordinates, etc..  Keywords, descriptions, download links.

Agreed.

> The maintenance job is that each time SQLite gets updated, to make sure that the
> update doesn't break any of the libraries.  Which can conveniently be done using
> the new testing facilities in the SQLite command-line tool.

Yep, that is also true, and agreed.

> And no, I'm not going to do it myself.  Because I'm not a believer in SQLHeavy.
>  I don't think such a project would lead to anything worthwhile.

It's ok that you don't believe in it, but the last statement, you know is not true.  I have been in this list since 2003 or so, and constantly there is one or two request to Dr. Hipp and the owners, per month, to add "stuff" to it.  Or, things like, "I would love to have SQLite do...", etc.  First of all, there are already folks that have written pieces of code that they use themselves for their projects.  Imagine if these become available to the rest of the world, it would be a nice happy programming place. :-) But, I accept your preclusion of being the maintainer. :-)

josé

Re: SQLite plus the works (was Re: Opposite of SQLite)

Thomas Kurz
> It has LEFT JOIN and does not have RIGHT JOIN. Why? Because RIGHT can be made out of LEFT by swapping order of tables.

The paradigma of SQL is to let the user describe what he wants to do, not to think about how to describe the problem so that the database system does understand. The lack of RIGHT JOIN, FULL INNER/OUTER JOIN, (full) ALTER TABLE, missing geospatial functions, etc. is a huge disadvantage, not an advantage!

Re: SQLite plus the works (was Re: Opposite of SQLite)

Jose Isaias Cabrera-4

Roman Fleysher, on Thursday, October 10, 2019 04:17 PM, wrote...

> With your brain excluded, who is "we"?
>
> The beauty of SQLite is that SQL was distilled to the smallest and most reproducible
> on many platforms set. Over time, I see how developers expand functionality to make it
> more convenient while maintaining reproducibility across platforms. Time, date, math
> operations are extremely hard to make reproducible. SQLite is small in SQL already: It
> has LEFT JOIN and does not have RIGHT JOIN. Why? Because RIGHT can be made out of LEFT
> by swapping order of tables. That is how small it is. The new functionality should be
> more substantial than swapping the order of tables or adding extra SQL line of code for
> date manipulation.

Nothing is going to change about this. That will continue to be for 50 years, or so.

> More over, SQLIte already has extension mechanism and many libraries have been written:
>
> https://www.sqlite.org/contrib/

Thanks. I didn't know this.

> The "we" can add to it date manipulation routines and many other.

This is what I am talking about.  But now, more purposely driven.

> SQLite is a beauty. Learn to see it!
I saw it, and I loved it.

josé

Re: SQLite plus the works (was Re: Opposite of SQLite)

Roman Fleysher
It's ok that you don't believe in it, but the last statement, you know is not true.  I have been in this list since 2003 or so, and constantly there is one or two request to Dr. Hipp and the owners, per month, to add "stuff" to it.  Or, things like, "I would love to have SQLite do...", etc.  First of all, there are already folks that have written pieces of code that they use themselves for their projects.  Imagine if these become available to the rest of the world, it would be a nice happy programming place. :-) But, I accept your preclusion of being the maintainer. :-)

Imagine a vehicle which has wheels to drive on a road. And wings to fly and a hull to float. How nice and happy world would be !? True? Of course true.

But, this vehicle would be bad as a car, bad as an airplane and bad a boat. Why? Because it is too hard to cram all the features and keep it small and light. But if you have to have one, you can.

The goal of SQLite is to be light. It is much easier to use and versatile thanks to its size.

Re: SQLite plus the works (was Re: Opposite of SQLite)

Warren Young
On Oct 10, 2019, at 2:03 PM, Jose Isaias Cabrera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2. The normal SQlite snapshots plus a series of libraries and functions that can easily be compiled with the original light SQLite.

This is basically the model for FOSS OS distros: a bunch of people get together and work on a coherent full-fat alternative to the scattered individual features.

Sometimes these people band together under the aegis of a company (e.g. Red Hat) and other times it’s a largely volunteer effort (e.g. FreeBSD).  Either way, it’s a lot of work, and there’s a pretty high failure rate in terms of the number of projects started vs those that end up being big.

I think if SQLite could support such a thing, we’d have seen it emerge already, probably from underneath one of the GUI front end projects as a freemium come-on for the company’s paid offering.

But hey, go prove me wrong and pull a Red Hat atop SQLite.

Re: SQLite plus the works (was Re: Opposite of SQLite)

Jose Isaias Cabrera-4

Roman Fleysher, on Thursday, October 10, 2019 04:31 PM, wrote...

> Imagine a vehicle which has wheels to drive on a road. And wings to fly and
> a hull to float. How nice and happy world would be !? True? Of course true.
>
> But, this vehicle would be bad as a car, bad as an airplane and bad a boat.
> Why? Because it is too hard to cram all the features and keep it small and
> light. But if you have to have one, you can.
>
> The goal of SQLite is to be light. It is much easier to use and versatile
> thanks to its size.

Yeah... We're completely off the subject. Sorry.

Re: Opposite of SQLite

test user
CAHeavy

Chaotic Answer Heavy

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 at 20:42, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10 Oct 2019, at 7:55pm, Ned Fleming <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > SQLessLite
>
> SQDietStartsMonday

Re: Opposite of SQLite

Jim "Jed" Dodgen
IMS/DB
Jim "Jed" Dodgen
[hidden email]

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 3:03 PM test user <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> CAHeavy
>
> Chaotic Answer Heavy
>
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 at 20:42, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 10 Oct 2019, at 7:55pm, Ned Fleming <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > SQLessLite
> >
> > SQDietStartsMonday

Re: Opposite of SQLite

Rowan Worth-2
SQLdark is free to use for any purpose except those which benefit Anish
Kapoor or an affiliate of Anish Kapoor.
-Rowan

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 at 03:37, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> etiLQS or SQLead or SQLdark
> Haha
>
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2019, 3:07 PM David Raymond <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > SQLephantine

Re: Opposite of SQLite

L Chisholm