Out of date online documents

Paul Lambert
While exploring the sqlite.org website for specific sqlite details I found
the document at the URL below which is labelled as "draft" and appears to
be from version 3.6.11.  The latest release is 3.15 and I currently have
version 3.13 installed.

https://www.sqlite.org/sessions/sqlite.html
.shell not listed
.system not listed

In the 3.6.11 version the (dot) calls .system and .shell where not part of
sqlite. I later found the same output in a newer version online document
that did show these 2 (dot) functions.

I strongly encourage having all online documentation having a "last"
revised date at the top (and maybe bottom) of each page and labelled either
"current" or "latest revision."  Or, in the case of software revisions also
including the latest release of software the online documents pertain too.

Re: Out of date online documents

Richard Hipp-3
On 12/31/16, Paul Lambert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> While exploring the sqlite.org website for specific sqlite details I found
> the document at the URL below which is labelled as "draft" and appears to
> be from version 3.6.11.  The latest release is 3.15 and I currently have
> version 3.13 installed.
>

> https://www.sqlite.org/sessions/sqlite.html

That is indeed wildly obsolete documentation.  But there are no
hyperlinks to it from the home page.  How did you find it?

Re: Out of date online documents

Luuk

On 31-12-16 20:52, Richard Hipp wrote:

> On 12/31/16, Paul Lambert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> While exploring the sqlite.org website for specific sqlite details I found
>> the document at the URL below which is labelled as "draft" and appears to
>> be from version 3.6.11.  The latest release is 3.15 and I currently have
>> version 3.13 installed.
>>

>> https://www.sqlite.org/sessions/sqlite.html
> That is indeed wildly obsolete documentation.  But there are no
> hyperlinks to it from the home page.  How did you find it?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sqlite.org+command+line+shell
second link

;)

On 12/31/16, Luuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31-12-16 20:52, Richard Hipp wrote:
>> On 12/31/16, Paul Lambert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> While exploring the sqlite.org website for specific sqlite details I
>>> found
>>> the document at the URL below which is labelled as "draft" and appears to
>>> be from version 3.6.11.  The latest release is 3.15 and I currently have
>>> version 3.13 installed.
>>>

>>> https://www.sqlite.org/sessions/sqlite.html
>> That is indeed wildly obsolete documentation.  But there are no
>> hyperlinks to it from the home page.  How did you find it?
>>

> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sqlite.org+command+line+shell
> second link

Huh.  Ok.  It's gone now.  I suppose Google's spider will figure that
out at some point and remove the link.

Re: Out of date online documents

Simon Slavin-3

On 31 Dec 2016, at 8:06pm, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Huh.  Ok.  It's gone now.  I suppose Google's spider will figure that
> out at some point and remove the link.

Allow 6 weeks.  At least, last time I looked it took Google’s cycle for checking every reference in its database took 6 hours weeks.  However, the SQLite homesite is so widely used it may be refreshed more frequently than that.

Also, two people searching for the same thing won’t necessarily get the same results in the same order.

Re: Out of date online documents

Paul Lambert
Web search.  In fact I cannot find any link on the sqlite.org page that
links to the (dot) functions, alias special functions.

Nothing there on the By Alphabetical Name, or SQL as Understood by Sqlite
webpages.  Seems to me that there should be a link on Undertsood by Sqlite
similar to the aggregate functions for "special commands" or "special
functions" too.

On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/31/16, Paul Lambert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > While exploring the sqlite.org website for specific sqlite details I
> found
> > the document at the URL below which is labelled as "draft" and appears to
> > be from version 3.6.11.  The latest release is 3.15 and I currently have
> > version 3.13 installed.
> >

> > https://www.sqlite.org/sessions/sqlite.html
>
> That is indeed wildly obsolete documentation.  But there are no
> hyperlinks to it from the home page.  How did you find it?
>
> --
> D. Richard Hipp

Re: Out of date online documents

Kevin Benson
On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Paul Lambert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Web search.  In fact I cannot find any link on the sqlite.org page that
> links to the (dot) functions, alias special functions.

The Home page Search *DOES* result in linking to
"other dot commands" but *NOT*
"special commands to sqlite3 dot commands" nor
"rules for dot commands".

I wonder if the trailing underscores in the underlying HTML are somehow
deleterious ?

Getting Started</a></div>
Double-click Startup On Windows</a></div>
---><div class="fancy-toc1"><a
href="#special_commands_to_sqlite3_dot_commands_">3. Special commands to
sqlite3 (dot-commands)</a></div>
---><div class="fancy-toc1"><a href="#rules_for_dot_commands_">4. Rules for
"dot-commands"</a></div>
Output Formats</a></div>
results to a file</a></div>
Functions</a></div>
the database schema</a></div>
href="#converting_an_entire_database_to_an_ascii_text_file">10. Converting
An Entire Database To An ASCII Text File</a></div>
Extensions</a></div>
---><div class="fancy-toc1"><a href="#other_dot_commands">12. Other Dot
Commands</a></div>
Using sqlite3 in a shell script</a></div>
commands</a></div>
href="#compiling_the_sqlite3_program_from_sources">15. Compiling the
sqlite3 program from sources</a></div>

         --Ô¿Ô--
        K e V i N

On 31 Dec 2016, at 8:59pm, Kevin Benson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Home page Search *DOES* result in linking to
> "other dot commands" but *NOT*
> "special commands to sqlite3 dot commands" nor
> "rules for dot commands".

Because there are no such commands.

The dot commands are part of the SQLite command-line tool and are documented in the web page for that tool.  The tool itself implements them.  They are not part of SQLite itself.

 On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 4:04 PM, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31 Dec 2016, at 8:59pm, Kevin Benson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > The Home page Search *DOES* result in linking to
> > "other dot commands" but *NOT*
> > "special commands to sqlite3 dot commands" nor
> > "rules for dot commands".
>
> Because there are no such commands.
>
> The dot commands are part of the SQLite command-line tool and are
> documented in the web page for that tool.  The tool itself implements
> them.  They are not part of SQLite itself.

Not sure what you mean, the site has a page for the command-line tool and
the OP was looking (at the site) for reference to "dot command"
info. When anyone types 'dot' or 'dot command' (as search terms) into the
Search facility on the Home page of sqlite.org a top result page link
points to https://sqlite.org/cli.html#other_dot_commands ( go ahead ...do
it ;-) Now that search result is related to the HREF's in the HTML that I
listed (from cli.html)...BUT the other HREF's (for the same keywords) DO
NOT come up in the search results ...and that may be because the HREF's
with trailing underscores are not being indexed.

         --Ô¿Ô--
        K e V i N