Packing integer primary key with field bits

Re: Packing integer primary key with field bits

Richard Hipp-3
On 8/10/17, Jens Alfke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I were going to use it, I’d implement a pair of SQL functions to
> compress/uncompress blobs,

See https://www.sqlite.org/src/file/ext/misc/compress.c

Re: Packing integer primary key with field bits

Jens Alfke-2

> On Aug 10, 2017, at 5:53 PM, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> See https://www.sqlite.org/src/file/ext/misc/compress.c <https://www.sqlite.org/src/file/ext/misc/compress.c>

Thanks, that would be a good template to start from. But I recommend using Snappy instead of ZLib, unless file size is more important than performance.

—Jens

Re: Packing integer primary key with field bits

curmudgeon
I’m wishing I had kept my mouth shut now 😊

It’s starting to get a bit above my head as programming’s little more than a hobby for me. Although I’ve been using c++ builder for a long time I only got round to trying to learn c++ properly a couple of years back during a lengthy illness. I even had to ask on a forum how to run ‘main()’ so I could follow the online c++ lessons. This yearning for knowledge came about after the discovery of sqlite. After the demise of Paradox (anybody remember that) I hated having to use sql servers and finding this embedded gem, which created a single db file and whose code consisted of an amalgamation file, gave me a new lease of life. I still have a lot of problems with c code though.

This forum’s a god-send as well. Despite the number of sharp minds on here, and the complexities and incompatibilities they’re having to deal with, it’s generally very civilised and condescending free. If I started this thread on stackoverflow I’d probably have a minus reputation by now coupled with a severe inferiority complex.

If I decide to pursue this I’ll report back any findings. Thanks to all who contributed to the discussion.

Tom

Re: Packing integer primary key with field bits

R Smith

On 2017/08/11 10:21 AM, x wrote:
> I’m wishing I had kept my mouth shut now 😊

Never do that.

We do see some questions asked ad-nauseum (or silly ones which could
have been answered by the fleetest of Google searches) and some people
probably find some irritation from it, but most of us don't and by far
the other 99% of questions are all valuable.

If you are wondering it, chances are someone else reading this also
wonders about it.

Case in point: Did you see how many people replied in other disconnected
threads about document typos (for instance) or further questions arising
from reading the very same file-format document we've discussed? Had you
kept your mouth shut, that might not have happened - so, thank you for
asking.

Good luck!
Ryan

Re: Packing integer primary key with field bits

curmudgeon
Cheers Ryan.