Proposal: SQLite on DNA

Simon Slavin-3
May I humbly suggest that the development team look into porting to a new platform:

<https://www.knowstuff.org/2019/07/forget-silicon-sql-on-dna-is-the-next-frontier-for-databases/>

" Simply put, at this pace, there soon won’t be enough data storage and compute material to go by. Which is why people have been looking into alternative storage media for data for a while now. Using DNA to store data, strange as it may sound at first, actually makes lots of sense. And now researchers have made a breakthrough, enabling them to integrate DNA storage in PostgreSQL, a popular open source database. "

What would it be ?  A VFS ?

Re: Proposal: SQLite on DNA

Graham Holden
Thursday, July 25, 2019, 3:56:53 PM, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> May I humbly suggest that the development team look into porting to a new platform:

> <https://www.knowstuff.org/2019/07/forget-silicon-sql-on-dna-is-the-next-frontier-for-databases/>

> " Simply put, at this pace, there soon won’t be enough data storage
> and compute material to go by. Which is why people have been looking
> into alternative storage media for data for a while now.
> Using DNA to store data, strange as it may sound at first, actually
> makes lots of sense. And now researchers have made a breakthrough,
> enabling them to integrate DNA storage in PostgreSQL, a
> popular open source database. "

> What would it be ?  A VFS ?

As in Viral File System?

Graham

Regards,
Graham Holden

Re: Proposal: SQLite on DNA

Chris Brody
> > May I humbly suggest that the development team look into porting to a new platform:
>
> > <https://www.knowstuff.org/2019/07/forget-silicon-sql-on-dna-is-the-next-frontier-for-databases/>

+1 (+100)

> As in Viral File System?

Yes (haha)

Re: Proposal: SQLite on DNA

Stephen Chrzanowski
Do we really want to start going down this path?  Like... we already have
parents who won't allow their kids to get flu shots.  Will we need to give
our PCs the same kind of shots?!

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 11:31 AM Chris Brody <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > May I humbly suggest that the development team look into porting to a
> new platform:
> >
> > > <
> https://www.knowstuff.org/2019/07/forget-silicon-sql-on-dna-is-the-next-frontier-for-databases/
> >

> +1 (+100)
>
> > As in Viral File System?
>
> Yes (haha)

Re: Proposal: SQLite on DNA

Keith Medcalf

Considering the write speed is measured in kb/week I don't think it will be used for online storage anytime in the lifetime of anyone within the spin of these electrons ...

Re: Proposal: SQLite on DNA

wmertens
Surely brings new meaning to SQL injection attacks...

Wout.

On Thu., Jul. 25, 2019, 9:48 p.m. Stephen Chrzanowski <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Do we really want to start going down this path?  Like... we already have
> parents who won't allow their kids to get flu shots.  Will we need to give
> our PCs the same kind of shots?!

> > new platform:

> https://www.knowstuff.org/2019/07/forget-silicon-sql-on-dna-is-the-next-frontier-for-databases/
> > >

> > +1 (+100)