Question about BerkeleyDB "SQLited"

javaj1811@elxala.com
Hi,

Oracle is distributing its BerkeleyDB including an interesting fusion
with SQLite
where they take all from SQLite except the final storage engine b-tree
and pager included.
As a product it is possible to obtain a dbsql binary that is a clone of
sqlite3 command line
but working with BDB databases.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/berkeleydb/overview/sql-160887.html
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/berkeleydb/bdb-sqlite-comparison-wp-176431.pdf

unfortunately they are using a quite old version of SQLite, I think
SQLite 3.5.9 according to the delivered sources

I have not found the reason why this "freeze" of the SQLite in the BDB
sql variant.
Probably this fusion between the two engines is difficult to mantain due
to changes in sqlite opcodes etc

does someone have more information, links etc about this upgrade
possibilities ?
(e.g. compile dbsql using the lastest sqlite version)

thanks, regards
Alejandro

Re: Question about BerkeleyDB "SQLited"

Charles Leifer
My "dbsql" is reporting version 3.8.3.1:

./dbsql --version
3.8.3.1 2014-02-11 14:52:19 ea3317a4803d71d88183b29f1d3086f46d68a00e

I grabbed the berkeleydb code from Oracle's website, then compiled it with
SQL compatibility.

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 9:37 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Oracle is distributing its BerkeleyDB including an interesting fusion with
> SQLite
> where they take all from SQLite except the final storage engine b-tree and
> pager included.
> As a product it is possible to obtain a dbsql binary that is a clone of
> sqlite3 command line
> but working with BDB databases.
>

> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/berkeleydb/overview/sql-160887.html
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/berkeleydb/bdb-sqlite-comparison-wp-176431.pdf
>
> unfortunately they are using a quite old version of SQLite, I think SQLite
> 3.5.9 according to the delivered sources
>
> I have not found the reason why this "freeze" of the SQLite in the BDB sql
> variant.
> Probably this fusion between the two engines is difficult to mantain due
> to changes in sqlite opcodes etc
>
> does someone have more information, links etc about this upgrade
> possibilities ?
> (e.g. compile dbsql using the lastest sqlite version)
>
> thanks, regards
> Alejandro

Re: Question about BerkeleyDB "SQLited"

javaj1811@elxala.com
yes, you are right, I actually have the same version, two years old anyway
The feature I was missing is "savefile and writefile" functions for blob
fields which comes I think in 2014-06
(http://www.sqlite.org/src/finfo?name=ext/misc/fileio.c)
So for that problem, probably it is enough adding fileio.c to the code
and build again dbsql

And for getting benefit from sqlite bugfixes in this period I guess the
only way is to merge
manually the versions. I have compared the original code of sqlite
3.8.3.1 with  the adapted for berkeley
and fortunately the changes are minimal.