Re: [sqlite-dev] Amalgamation code doesn't supoort limit on update / delete

Re: [sqlite-dev] Amalgamation code doesn't supoort limit on update / delete

Pavel Ivanov-2
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SQLITE_ENABLE_UPDATE_DELETE_LIMIT+site%3Asqlite.org&l=1

If you look for description of SQLITE_ENABLE_UPDATE_DELETE_LIMIT on
the resulting page you'll see that it's not a bug or oversight, it's a
documented feature.

Pavel

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Steven Hartland
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> After spending many hours banging my head trying to figure out why
> sqlite-jdbc was erroring on a delete with a limit even when compiled
> with SQLITE_ENABLE_UPDATE_DELETE_LIMIT I finally tracked it down
> to the fact that the Amalgamation download is simply missing half
> the code to support it :(
>
> Compiling from standard source, in this case from FreeBSD ports
> results in a sqlite3.c which has much more code that references
> the options to support update / delete limits than the standard
> Amalgamation version.
>
> I can't find anything that says this is a know limitation so can
> only assume its an oversight / bug, is this the case?
>
>    Regards
>    Steve

> This e.mail is private and confidential between Multiplay (UK) Ltd. and the person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of misdirection, the recipient is prohibited from using, copying, printing or otherwise disseminating it or any information contained in it.
>
> In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission please telephone +44 845 868 1337
> or return the E.mail to [hidden email].

Re: [sqlite-dev] Amalgamation code doesn't supoort limit on update / delete

Robert Hairgrove
On Sun, 2011-03-13 at 14:53 -0400, Pavel Ivanov wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Steven Hartland
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > After spending many hours banging my head trying to figure out why
> > sqlite-jdbc was erroring on a delete with a limit even when compiled
> > with SQLITE_ENABLE_UPDATE_DELETE_LIMIT I finally tracked it down
> > to the fact that the Amalgamation download is simply missing half
> > the code to support it :(
> >
> > Compiling from standard source, in this case from FreeBSD ports
> > results in a sqlite3.c which has much more code that references
> > the options to support update / delete limits than the standard
> > Amalgamation version.
> >
> > I can't find anything that says this is a know limitation so can
> > only assume its an oversight / bug, is this the case?
>
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SQLITE_ENABLE_UPDATE_DELETE_LIMIT+site%3Asqlite.org&l=1
>
> If you look for description of SQLITE_ENABLE_UPDATE_DELETE_LIMIT on
> the resulting page you'll see that it's not a bug or oversight, it's a
> documented feature.

You could write something like this instead:

UPDATE some_table
SET some_field = ?
WHERE the_id IN (
  SELECT the_id
  FROM some_table
  WHERE [...] LIMIT [...]);

assuming that "the_id" is either the primary key column or else has a
unique index.