Regarding CoC

Re: Regarding CoC

Philip Warner
On 25/10/2018 2:17 AM, Jens Alfke wrote:

> Vague blanket statements like “Don’t be evil” or “Be excellent to each other” don’t work (here or anywhere else.)

This is a good point. But it leads to the question: have you ever seen one that
works better than, say, "Don't be an arsehole/dick/evil"? In most jurisdictions
sexual harassment, murder etc are already illegal...so repeating them in a CoE/C
seems redundant.

Re: Regarding CoC

Simon Slavin-3
On 25 Oct 2018, at 12:16am, Philip Warner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> t leads to the question: have you ever seen one that works better than, say, "Don't be an arsehole/dick/evil"? In most jurisdictions sexual harassment, murder etc are already illegal...so repeating them in a CoE/C seems redundant.

The question should be answered.  It took this list around two weeks to half -- the boring half -- of the Bill and Ted standard of conduct.  I am disappointed.  Bill and Ted's masterful code of conduct consisted of two interlaced parts:

A) Be excellent to each other.
B) Party on, dudes !

Part (A) can be "Don't be evil" or "Don't be an asshole." or "Do unto others as you would have them do to you.".  I'll take them all as equivalents.

But (B) is essential, and it has been left out.  Without (B) there is no reason to seek out beauty or fun, or to (rendering unto others …) encourage others to do so.  Without (B) you can live a formal, sterile, joyless life and call it worthwhile.  I am disappointed.  We might as well all be replaced by robots.

The second exhortation tells us that that's not enough, and we also have a duty to maximise pleasure.  Find the fun.  If you can't find fun, make some.  And trying to do (B) without violating (A) helps keep life interesting.

Re: Regarding CoC

Philip Warner
On 25/10/2018 11:06 AM, Simon Slavin wrote:

> The second exhortation tells us that that's not enough, and we also have a duty to maximise pleasure.

lol, good point. Quite the opposite of monkish orders.

Re: Regarding CoC

Petite Abeille-2

> On Oct 25, 2018, at 8:33 AM, Philip Warner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The second exhortation tells us that that's not enough, and we also have a duty to maximise pleasure.
>
> lol, good point. Quite the opposite of monkish orders.

And yet…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trappist_beer

Let SQLite be the Trappist beer of software :D

Re: Regarding CoC

Mike King-6
I’m a good atheist but I love the CoC. Not bothered by the religious bits
but I get the sentiment. I guess it appeals to my British sense of irony
and odd sense of humour :)

As for the Trappist beer our local Monastery (St Bernards, Whitwick) has
just started the first trappist brewery in the uk. The beer is bloody good
and very strong. Also, I’m happy to report I didn’t go up in flames when I
went there and purchased a case :)

Cheers (hic!)

Mike

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 at 11:33, Petite Abeille <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > On Oct 25, 2018, at 8:33 AM, Philip Warner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> The second exhortation tells us that that's not enough, and we also
> have a duty to maximise pleasure.
> >
> > lol, good point. Quite the opposite of monkish orders.
>
> And yet…
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trappist_beer
>
> Let SQLite be the Trappist beer of software :D

Re: Regarding CoC

Petite Abeille-2

> On Oct 25, 2018, at 12:59 PM, Mike King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The beer is bloody good and very strong.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
— Benjamin Franklin, allegedly

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2016/06/24/beer-wine/

> Also, I’m happy to report I didn’t go up in flames when I went there and purchased a case :)

Where is the Rabbit of Caerbannog when needed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_of_Caerbannog

Re: Regarding CoC

Mike King-6
I’m more a Mr Creosote kind of guy. Wafer thin mint anybody? :)

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 at 12:08, Petite Abeille <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > On Oct 25, 2018, at 12:59 PM, Mike King <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > The beer is bloody good and very strong.
>
> "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
> — Benjamin Franklin, allegedly
>
> https://quoteinvestigator.com/2016/06/24/beer-wine/
>
> > Also, I’m happy to report I didn’t go up in flames when I went there and
> purchased a case :)
>
> Where is the Rabbit of Caerbannog when needed?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_of_Caerbannog

Re: Regarding CoC

Petite Abeille-2

> On Oct 25, 2018, at 1:20 PM, Mike King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m more a Mr Creosote kind of guy. Wafer thin mint anybody? :)

Please bring your own bucket. This is SQL*lite*. :P

Re: Regarding CoC

Philip Warner
On 25/10/2018 9:59 PM, Mike King wrote:

> I’m a good atheist but I love the CoC. Not bothered by the religious bits
> but I get the sentiment. I guess it appeals to my British sense of irony
> and odd sense of humour :)

I agree with the humour. As a satirical statement on the horrors of building a
good CoC/CoE it is quite effective.

But...if it is a CoC/E, then I think it would be beneficial to have one that
many people won't start by knowingly and deliberately ignoring large chunks, and
broadly disagreeing with even more, and laughing at the rest.

Re: Regarding CoC

Petite Abeille-2

> On Oct 26, 2018, at 5:12 AM, Philip Warner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> knowingly and deliberately ignoring large chunks, and broadly disagreeing with even more, and laughing at the rest.

Bah… Everything Is Amazing And Nobody Is Happy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUBtKNzoKZ4

Re: Regarding CoC

Keith Medcalf

On Friday, 26 October, 2018 03:57, Petite Abeille <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Oct 26, 2018, at 5:12 AM, Philip Warner <[hidden email]> >wrote:

>> knowingly and deliberately ignoring large chunks, and broadly
>> disagreeing with even more, and laughing at the rest.

> Bah… Everything Is Amazing And Nobody Is Happy:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUBtKNzoKZ4

Hilarious!  And I remember the days when you had to book long distance calls in advance so that you could be scheduled onto the transatlantic cable, and the call would be completed by operators calling station to station hop by hop.  Hello London?  This is Toronto calling ... are we reaching?

Re: Regarding CoC

Gary R. Schmidt
On 26/10/2018 14:12, Philip Warner wrote:

> On 25/10/2018 9:59 PM, Mike King wrote:
>
>> I’m a good atheist but I love the CoC. Not bothered by the religious bits
>> but I get the sentiment. I guess it appeals to my British sense of irony
>> and odd sense of humour :)
>
> I agree with the humour. As a satirical statement on the horrors of
> building a good CoC/CoE it is quite effective.
>
> But...if it is a CoC/E, then I think it would be beneficial to have one
> that many people won't start by knowingly and deliberately ignoring
> large chunks, and broadly disagreeing with even more, and laughing at
> the rest.
> Of course, after all, that's how christianity developed, by picking and
choosing the various bits of whatever else was around that were in tune
with the various prejudices and predilections of those involved.

Although the "laughing at the rest" was more often "kill them, and the
horses they rode in on."

        Cheers,
                Gary B-)

Re: Regarding CoC

Philip Warner
On 26/10/2018 11:02 PM, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:

> On 26/10/2018 14:12, Philip Warner wrote:
>> I agree with the humour. As a satirical statement on the horrors of building
>> a good CoC/CoE it is quite effective.
>>
>> But...if it is a CoC/E, then I think it would be beneficial to have one that
>> many people won't start by knowingly and deliberately ignoring large chunks,
>> and broadly disagreeing with even more, and laughing at the rest.
>>
> Of course, after all, that's how christianity developed, by picking and
> choosing the various bits of whatever else was around that were in tune with
> the various prejudices and predilections of those involved.
>
> Although the "laughing at the rest" was more often "kill them, and the horses
> they rode in on."

Lol. Love it. Perhaps that should be the disclaimer:

Code of Conduct

...etc...

TL;DR: to put this in historical context, given it's broad lack of
applicability, it has in large part often reduced to "kill them, and the horses
they rode in on". YMMV.

Re: Regarding CoC

Richard Hipp-3
Hey, Y'all:

Thanks for all the input.  But we've strayed off-topic.  In keeping
with both the Code of Conduct and the Code of Ethics, maybe its time
we shut this discussion down (or move it to some other venue) and get
back to talking about the worlds greatest embedded database.  What'da
ya think?

Re: Regarding CoC

Thomas Kurz
> What'da ya think?

That's a great idea. I've already had some concerns that SQLite development might cease now. Hoping for great new features in the next release :-)

Re: Regarding CoC

Petite Abeille-2

> On Oct 26, 2018, at 3:21 PM, Thomas Kurz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What'da ya think?
>
> That's a great idea. I've already had some concerns that SQLite development might cease now. Hoping for great new features in the next release :-)

MERGE! :D