SQLITE_OMIT_* vs amalgamation

Kim Gräsman
Hi all,

The docs at https://sqlite.org/compile.html are a little ominous when
it comes to the OMIT flags with the amalgamation:

> Important Note: The SQLITE_OMIT_* options may not work with the amalgamation.
> SQLITE_OMIT_* compile-time options usually work correctly only when SQLite is
> built from canonical source files.

Is this still true? I see there are some OMIT flags that affect parser
generation and plug into the build system, but most of them are really
just preprocessor toggles, right?

I'm specifically looking to enable:

* SQLITE_OMIT_AUTOINIT
* SQLITE_OMIT_SHARED_CACHE

hoping for some speedups.

Thanks,
- Kim

Re: SQLITE_OMIT_* vs amalgamation

David Burgess
If you are running Linux, the build from source (i.e. making your own
amalgamation) is straightforward.
You may have to install a few extras, but nothing onerous.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 5:57 AM, Kim Gräsman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The docs at https://sqlite.org/compile.html are a little ominous when
> it comes to the OMIT flags with the amalgamation:
>
>> Important Note: The SQLITE_OMIT_* options may not work with the amalgamation.
>> SQLITE_OMIT_* compile-time options usually work correctly only when SQLite is
>> built from canonical source files.
>
> Is this still true? I see there are some OMIT flags that affect parser
> generation and plug into the build system, but most of them are really
> just preprocessor toggles, right?
>
> I'm specifically looking to enable:
>
> * SQLITE_OMIT_AUTOINIT
> * SQLITE_OMIT_SHARED_CACHE
>
> hoping for some speedups.
>
> Thanks,
> - Kim

David Burgess

Re: SQLITE_OMIT_* vs amalgamation

Kim Gräsman
I'm building for both Windows and Linux and it's a reproducible build,
so I'd rather not depend on anything extra.

Thanks,
- Kim

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 2:10 AM, David Burgess <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you are running Linux, the build from source (i.e. making your own
> amalgamation) is straightforward.
> You may have to install a few extras, but nothing onerous.
>

> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 5:57 AM, Kim Gräsman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The docs at https://sqlite.org/compile.html are a little ominous when
>> it comes to the OMIT flags with the amalgamation:
>>
>>> Important Note: The SQLITE_OMIT_* options may not work with the amalgamation.
>>> SQLITE_OMIT_* compile-time options usually work correctly only when SQLite is
>>> built from canonical source files.
>>
>> Is this still true? I see there are some OMIT flags that affect parser
>> generation and plug into the build system, but most of them are really
>> just preprocessor toggles, right?
>>
>> I'm specifically looking to enable:
>>
>> * SQLITE_OMIT_AUTOINIT
>> * SQLITE_OMIT_SHARED_CACHE
>>
>> hoping for some speedups.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> - Kim

> David Burgess

Re: SQLITE_OMIT_* vs amalgamation

Richard Hipp-3
On 4/19/17, Kim Gräsman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm building for both Windows and Linux and it's a reproducible build,
> so I'd rather not depend on anything extra.

The only thing extra you need is tclsh installed as it is used during
the build process.  Besides TCL, just a C compiler and the ordinary
tools.  On unix, just run "./configure; make".  On Windows with MSVC
the command is "nmake /f makefile.msc"

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 4/19/17, Kim Gräsman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm building for both Windows and Linux and it's a reproducible build,
>> so I'd rather not depend on anything extra.
>
> The only thing extra you need is tclsh installed as it is used during
> the build process.  Besides TCL, just a C compiler and the ordinary
> tools.  On unix, just run "./configure; make".  On Windows with MSVC
> the command is "nmake /f makefile.msc"

OK, thanks! I'll see what I can do.

- Kim