SQLite 3.22.0 coming soon

Richard Hipp-3
Version 3.22.0 will probably be released soon.  Your help in
beta-testing is appreciated.  Please download the latest "trunk"
sources (from https://sqlite.org/src/info/trunk) or a pre-release
snapshot (the top-most link at https://sqlite.org/download.html) and
verify that you are able to build and use the latest code in your
applications.  Report any issues to this mailing list, or directly to
me.

The latest change summary can be seen at
https://www.sqlite.org/draft/releaselog/3_22_0.html and the draft
3.22.0 webpage is at https://www.sqlite.org/draft

Detailed log of all check-ins since the last release:
https://www.sqlite.org/src/timeline?from=release&to=trunk

Re: EXTERNAL: SQLite 3.22.0 coming soon

Edwards, Mark C.
Thanks Richard. I'll build the amalgamated version in Release mode/X86 in VS 2015 Pro to see if it completes without complaint.
Mark C Edwards
Chief Scientist, C2 Systems Engineering & Integration
779 Monika Ct
Chubbuck, ID 83202
[hidden email]

Re: SQLite 3.22.0 coming soon

Donald Griggs
In an attempt to be helpful, two possible typos are:

https://www.sqlite.org/draft/cli.html#expert

     If this option is pass a non-zero argument  [change pass -> passed]

https://www.sqlite.org/draft/releaselog/3_22_0.html

     A complex result set bias the decision

     Maybe " A complex result biases the decision"

     Or " A complex result set biases the decision"

Re: SQLite 3.22.0 coming soon

David Raymond
Oh sweet, zipfile extension.

Small typo fixes:

In https://www.sqlite.org/draft/rtree.html#rtreecheck
"on the rtree table named R containing in database S."
should be
"on the rtree table named R contained in database S."

https://www.sqlite.org/draft/cli.html#expert
"If this option is pass a non-zero argument"
should be
"If this option is passed a non-zero argument"

On 9 Jan 2018, at 6:46pm, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The latest change summary can be seen at
> https://www.sqlite.org/draft/releaselog/3_22_0.html and the draft

In <https://www.sqlite.org/draft/cli.html#expert> …

For "clobbering" use "overwriting", if only for the sake of international readers.

"If this option is pass a non-zero argument" should probably be "passed".

I think you can come up with a more appropriate name than "expert".  How about "cleverindex" or "indexwizard" or something.

If this is easy to do, then for the .expert command and, by extension, the external function …

Please allow an option "—ignoreexisting" for the .expert command.  This option makes SQLite ignore any existing indexes except for the ones which implement primary keys.

For extra points, with this option selected, in the output section, it includes DROP INDEX commands for the indexes it ignored before the CREATE INDEX command it prefers.

For an additional bonus point, with this option selected, the command should recognise when the new index it recommended is the same as one of the existing indexes it ignored, and do the "no new indexes" thing.

Re: EXTERNAL: SQLite 3.22.0 coming soon

Edwards, Mark C.
The Release build/X86 on Visual Studio 2015 Pro worked. The prior problem with "possible uninitialized variables" has been resolved. 3.22.0 looks like a viable candidate
for incorporation in our source base. We use only the amalgamated sqlite3.h, sqlite3ext.h and sqlite3.c files.

Thanks!

Mark C Edwards
Chief Scientist, C2 Systems Engineering & Integration
779 Monika Ct
Chubbuck, ID 83202
[hidden email]
Mobile: 208-241-7982

Re: SQLite 3.22.0 coming soon

Gwendal Roué-2
Hello,

I could spot two behavior changes in f6355970 while testing GRDB.swift.

1. For statements made of parameters, such as `SELECT ?, ?` or `SELECT :a, :b`, the sqlite3_column_name used to return the parameter name ("?" or ":a" etc.) for all parameters, the last one included. The latest version returns an empty string for the last parameter.

2. '^foo' used to be an invalid FTS5 pattern. It is valid in the latest version (but I did not check its behavior).

Cheers,
Gwendal Roué

> Le 9 janv. 2018 à 19:46, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Version 3.22.0 will probably be released soon.  Your help in
> beta-testing is appreciated.  Please download the latest "trunk"
> sources (from https://sqlite.org/src/info/trunk) or a pre-release
> snapshot (the top-most link at https://sqlite.org/download.html) and
> verify that you are able to build and use the latest code in your
> applications.  Report any issues to this mailing list, or directly to
> me.
>
> The latest change summary can be seen at
> https://www.sqlite.org/draft/releaselog/3_22_0.html and the draft
> 3.22.0 webpage is at https://www.sqlite.org/draft
>
> Detailed log of all check-ins since the last release:
> https://www.sqlite.org/src/timeline?from=release&to=trunk
>
> --
> D. Richard Hipp

Re: SQLite 3.22.0 coming soon

J Decker
swarmvtab3 test is still failing... (windows 10, msvc 2017)  10.0.16299.0

swarmvtab3-1.2.3...
Error: inconsistent ::dbcache and disk
swarmvtab3-1.3.3...

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 11:46 AM, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9 Jan 2018, at 6:46pm, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The latest change summary can be seen at
> > https://www.sqlite.org/draft/releaselog/3_22_0.html and the draft
>
> In <https://www.sqlite.org/draft/cli.html#expert> …
>
> For "clobbering" use "overwriting", if only for the sake of international
> readers.
>
> "If this option is pass a non-zero argument" should probably be "passed".
>
> I think you can come up with a more appropriate name than "expert".  How
> about "cleverindex" or "indexwizard" or something.
>
> If this is easy to do, then for the .expert command and, by extension, the
> external function …
>
> Please allow an option "—ignoreexisting" for the .expert command.  This
> option makes SQLite ignore any existing indexes except for the ones which
> implement primary keys.
>
> For extra points, with this option selected, in the output section, it
> includes DROP INDEX commands for the indexes it ignored before the CREATE
> INDEX command it prefers.
>
> For an additional bonus point, with this option selected, the command
> should recognise when the new index it recommended is the same as one of
> the existing indexes it ignored, and do the "no new indexes" thing.
>
> Simon.

Re: SQLite 3.22.0 coming soon

On 1/9/18, Gwendal Roué <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 1. For statements made of parameters, such as `SELECT ?, ?` or `SELECT :a,
> :b`, the sqlite3_column_name used to return the parameter name ("?" or ":a"
> etc.) for all parameters, the last one included. The latest version returns
> an empty string for the last parameter.

I have not been able to reproduce this problem using the command-line
shell.  I tried the following script:

  .header on
  SELECT ?, ?;
  SELECT :a, :b;

It shows me the correct column names for all columns.  Do you have a
reproducible test case that I can work from?

Re: SQLite 3.22.0 coming soon

Gwendal Roué-2

> Le 9 janv. 2018 à 21:47, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> On 1/9/18, Gwendal Roué <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 1. For statements made of parameters, such as `SELECT ?, ?` or `SELECT :a,
>> :b`, the sqlite3_column_name used to return the parameter name ("?" or ":a"
>> etc.) for all parameters, the last one included. The latest version returns
>> an empty string for the last parameter.
>
> I have not been able to reproduce this problem using the command-line
> shell.  I tried the following script:
>
>  .header on
>  SELECT ?, ?;
>  SELECT :a, :b;
>
> It shows me the correct column names for all columns.  Do you have a
> reproducible test case that I can work from?

I have Swift code which reliably reproduces the bug :

    var conn: OpaquePointer? = nil
    sqlite3_open_v2("", &conn, SQLITE_OPEN_CREATE | SQLITE_OPEN_READWRITE, nil)
    var stmt: OpaquePointer? = nil
    sqlite3_prepare_v3(conn, "SELECT :a, :b", -1, 0, &stmt, nil)
    sqlite3_column_name(stmt, 0) // ":a"
    sqlite3_column_name(stmt, 1) // ""

A manual translation into C gives:

        void *conn, *stmt;
    sqlite3_open_v2("", &conn, SQLITE_OPEN_CREATE | SQLITE_OPEN_READWRITE, NULL);
    sqlite3_prepare_v3(conn, "SELECT :a, :b", -1, 0, &stmt, NULL);
    sqlite3_column_name(stmt, 0); // ":a"
    sqlite3_column_name(stmt, 1); // ""

If this is a side effect of the Swift C, we have found another interesting bug, but not in SQLite :-)

Gwendal

Re: SQLite 3.22.0 coming soon

J Decker
On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 1:19 PM, Gwendal Roué <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Le 9 janv. 2018 à 21:47, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > On 1/9/18, Gwendal Roué <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> 1. For statements made of parameters, such as `SELECT ?, ?` or `SELECT
> :a,
> >> :b`, the sqlite3_column_name used to return the parameter name ("?" or
> ":a"
> >> etc.) for all parameters, the last one included. The latest version
> returns
> >> an empty string for the last parameter.
> >
> > I have not been able to reproduce this problem using the command-line
> > shell.  I tried the following script:
> >
> >  .header on
> >  SELECT ?, ?;
> >  SELECT :a, :b;
> >
> > It shows me the correct column names for all columns.  Do you have a
> > reproducible test case that I can work from?
>
> I have Swift code which reliably reproduces the bug :
>
>     var conn: OpaquePointer? = nil
>     sqlite3_open_v2("", &conn, SQLITE_OPEN_CREATE | SQLITE_OPEN_READWRITE,
> nil)
>     var stmt: OpaquePointer? = nil
>     sqlite3_prepare_v3(conn, "SELECT :a, :b", -1, 0, &stmt, nil)
>     sqlite3_column_name(stmt, 0) // ":a"
>     sqlite3_column_name(stmt, 1) // ""
>
> A manual translation into C gives:
>
>         void *conn, *stmt;
>     sqlite3_open_v2("", &conn, SQLITE_OPEN_CREATE | SQLITE_OPEN_READWRITE,
> NULL);
>     sqlite3_prepare_v3(conn, "SELECT :a, :b", -1, 0, &stmt, NULL);
>     sqlite3_column_name(stmt, 0); // ":a"
>     sqlite3_column_name(stmt, 1); // ""

was also able reproduce it with regular C.

> If this is a side effect of the Swift C, we have found another interesting
> bug, but not in SQLite :-)
>
> Gwendal

Re: SQLite 3.22.0 coming soon

E.Pasma
Dear SQLite developers and eventual PowerPC users,
using a likely outdated compiler:
        powerpc-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1
a compile error occors:
        shell.c:10062: error: conflicting types for ‘integerValue’
        shell.c:9169: error: previous implicit declaration of ‘integerValue’
was here
it is still to overcome by an explicit declaration of IntegerValue
before expertDotCommand.
This must be be the only place where this order of reference and
definition occurs. Is that alright?
Thanks, E. Pasma

Re: SQLite 3.22.0 coming soon

Richard Hipp-3
On 1/9/18, E.Pasma <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear SQLite developers and eventual PowerPC users,
> using a likely outdated compiler:
> powerpc-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1
> a compile error occors:
> shell.c:10062: error: conflicting types for ‘integerValue’
> shell.c:9169: error: previous implicit declaration of ‘integerValue’

This seems like a compiler bug.  But it is easy enough to work around,
and that is what I have done.  Please verify that the latest trunk
code (or the latest "prerelease-snapshot") is now working for you on
your old PowerPC system.  Thanks!

This is the kind of thing is very important.  We SQLite developers can
test as much as we want to, but we will never find strange
interactions with old compilers that we don't own.  This is exactly
the kind of thing we need your help with.  Thanks for all your
testing!

SQLite 3.22.0 coming soon

Richard Hipp-3
All of the minor issues mentioned by prior emails in this thread
should now be fixed.  Thanks to everybody for proof-reading and
testing!

Fresh source code is now available on trunk
(https://sqlite.org/src/info/trunk) and from the "Prerelease Snapshot"
link on the https://sqlite.org/download.html page if you would like to
continue testing.

We are not yet at "pencils down".  More enhancements may yet go into
this release before we start our final release testing.  Nevertheless,
the community testing you have conducted so far has found several real
issues, and is greatly appreciated.  Please continue the good work!

Re: SQLite 3.22.0 coming soon

Gwendal Roué-2
No more glitch with sqlite3_column_name :-)

Thanks Richard,
Gwendal

> Le 10 janv. 2018 à 02:06, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> All of the minor issues mentioned by prior emails in this thread
> should now be fixed.  Thanks to everybody for proof-reading and
> testing!
>
> Fresh source code is now available on trunk
> (https://sqlite.org/src/info/trunk) and from the "Prerelease Snapshot"
> link on the https://sqlite.org/download.html page if you would like to
> continue testing.
>
> We are not yet at "pencils down".  More enhancements may yet go into
> this release before we start our final release testing.  Nevertheless,
> the community testing you have conducted so far has found several real
> issues, and is greatly appreciated.  Please continue the good work!
> --
> D. Richard Hipp

Re: SQLite 3.22.0 coming soon

petern
With SQLITE_INTROSPECTION_PRAGMAS turned on, is a function description on
the roadmap?
It would be very helpful to expose a short description of function
arguments.

Implementation suggestion: a new trailing argument "description" on
sqlite3_create_function() or sqlite3_create_function_v2()
and corresponding description column in the PRAGMA function_list report.

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 5:06 PM, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All of the minor issues mentioned by prior emails in this thread
> should now be fixed.  Thanks to everybody for proof-reading and
> testing!
>
> Fresh source code is now available on trunk
> (https://sqlite.org/src/info/trunk) and from the "Prerelease Snapshot"
> link on the https://sqlite.org/download.html page if you would like to
> continue testing.
>
> We are not yet at "pencils down".  More enhancements may yet go into
> this release before we start our final release testing.  Nevertheless,
> the community testing you have conducted so far has found several real
> issues, and is greatly appreciated.  Please continue the good work!
> --
> D. Richard Hipp

Re: SQLite 3.22.0 coming soon

petern
Or, more practically, please consider a virtual style API where PRAGMA
function_list() gathers function description strings from all registered 2
argument functions named like %_function_description(F,N) where F is the
function name and N is the argument count.

A good example implementation might be a function called
sqlite3_function_description(F,N) which returns short argument descriptions
of all builtin functions - possibly derived from the build process.

Peter

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 10:11 AM, petern <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> With SQLITE_INTROSPECTION_PRAGMAS turned on, is a function description on
> the roadmap?
> It would be very helpful to expose a short description of function
> arguments.
>
> Implementation suggestion: a new trailing argument "description" on
> sqlite3_create_function() or sqlite3_create_function_v2()
> and corresponding description column in the PRAGMA function_list report.
>

> On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 5:06 PM, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> All of the minor issues mentioned by prior emails in this thread
>> should now be fixed.  Thanks to everybody for proof-reading and
>> testing!
>>
>> Fresh source code is now available on trunk
>> (https://sqlite.org/src/info/trunk) and from the "Prerelease Snapshot"
>> link on the https://sqlite.org/download.html page if you would like to
>> continue testing.
>>
>> We are not yet at "pencils down".  More enhancements may yet go into
>> this release before we start our final release testing.  Nevertheless,
>> the community testing you have conducted so far has found several real
>> issues, and is greatly appreciated.  Please continue the good work!
>> --
>> D. Richard Hipp
>> [hidden email]

Re: SQLite 3.22.0 coming soon

R Smith-2

On 2018/01/11 8:11 PM, petern wrote:
> With SQLITE_INTROSPECTION_PRAGMAS turned on, is a function description on
> the roadmap?
> It would be very helpful to expose a short description of function
> arguments.
>
> Implementation suggestion: a new trailing argument "description" on
> sqlite3_create_function() or sqlite3_create_function_v2()
> and corresponding description column in the PRAGMA function_list report.

Well, I like the idea.

For one, it would allow an easy to read updated description for those of
us who maintain SQLite management tools and connectors... but accessing
the web is more or less equally simple, though a direct api would be
nice too.
Maybe this would better serve add-on libraries and UDFs since those
function descriptions are not typically available on the web, and
certainly not on the standard sqlite site.

The only con I'm seeing is the extra disk/memory footprint for what is
essentially comments and can (especially for the standard functions) be
found easily at: https://sqlite.org/lang_corefunc.html

Perhaps there is another benefit I'm not yet seeing that would better
merit paying said resource cost - if so, I'm eager to hear it.

Cheers,
Ryan

Re: SQLite 3.22.0 coming soon

petern
Ryan.  The core and sqlite3_create_function...() needn't be burdened at all
except to store some very basic description strings as a compile time
option.

PRAGMA function_list() cold gather descriptions on the fly by:

1. Spinning through the list of registered %_function_description(F,N)
functions for each row, or

2. Spinning through a list of library module exports, say
sqlite3_<module>_function_description(F,N).

Modules implementing either interface could do so trivially with if
statements or with a binary search of hand sorted description array.

This enhancement is feasible, easy to implement, and would help
tremendously to see exactly how to call any function from the command line.

My question mainly was to find out if the idea was considered and if it is
on the roadmap along with the SQLITE_INTROSPECTION_PRAGMAS change.

Peter