SQLite GUI app that offers layouts

BareFeetWare
Hi all,

There seem to be several SQLite GUI apps around. But I haven't seen
any that offer building of layouts, ie positioning test frames for
fields on a page for form data entry or printing. This feature is
typical of proprietary apps such as FileMaker, AppleWorks, 4D etc.

Anyone know of a GUI app that offers layouts (ie form creation),
especially on a Mac (but even other platforms)?

Is there a conventional way to store the layout information in the
SQLite database itself, so it can be moved from one SQLite GUI app to
another, and retain compatible forms?

Thanks,
Tom

Re: SQLite GUI app that offers layouts

Cos-2
Hi Tom,

> There seem to be several SQLite GUI apps around. But I haven't seen
> any that offer building of layouts, ie positioning test frames for
> fields on a page for form data entry or printing. This feature is
> typical of proprietary apps such as FileMaker, AppleWorks, 4D etc.
>
> Anyone know of a GUI app that offers layouts (ie form creation),
> especially on a Mac (but even other platforms)?

DBManager Enterprise Edition (http://www.dbtools.com.br/EN/dbmanagerpro) can
do that. It has a form designer which allows to create and execute forms
like MSAccess does. This manager is for windows only and there is a TRIAL
Edition which you can test and see how it works.

> Is there a conventional way to store the layout information in the
> SQLite database itself, so it can be moved from one SQLite GUI app to
> another, and retain compatible forms?

I doubt you will find something like. Usually the form is handled only by
the GUI which created it. For example, you can't execute MSAcess forms on
any other GUI. Because of that it doesn't matter if the form is saved in the
SQLite DB or not, since most GUI's will not know what to do with it.

Hope that helps,

COS

Re: SQLite GUI app that offers layouts

Noel Frankinet
COS a écrit :

> Hi Tom,

Hello Tom,

With my NGUI (http://www.gistek.net/ngui.htm) framework, I define a form
layout in XML and the form behavior (on events) in lua.
That info can be stored in a sqlite table and a registered sqlite
command could create the form on the fly, populate it and wait for user
input.

My framework in win32/windowsCE (pda) only, but I suppose the same could
be done with gtk or Qt.

Lua fits well with sqlite because its very compact

Best regards

--
Noël Frankinet
Gistek Software SA

Re: SQLite GUI app that offers layouts

Noel Frankinet
Sorry, the correct url is :

http://www.gistek.net/gui.html

--
Noël Frankinet
Gistek Software SA

Re: SQLite GUI app that offers layouts

Rob Sciuk
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Noel Frankinet wrote:

> Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:23:43 +0200
> From: Noel Frankinet <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [sqlite] SQLite GUI app that offers layouts
>
> Sorry, the correct url is :
>
> http://www.gistek.net/gui.html

<.02$>
Interesting, but I'm wondering why not use the tcl/tk binding to simply
generate the forms using the well crafted tcl binding which comes with the
SQLite language?  Tcl/TK is a very simple scripting language which is
portable to all major platforms, has a very useful GUI widget set, and
while it might not be the prettiest interface in the world, getting very
useable forms up and running using sqlite/tk is trivial.
</.02$>

Re: SQLite GUI app that offers layouts

Rich Shepard
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Rob Sciuk wrote:

> Interesting, but I'm wondering why not use the tcl/tk binding to simply
> generate the forms using the well crafted tcl binding which comes with the
> SQLite language?  Tcl/TK is a very simple scripting language which is
> portable to all major platforms, has a very useful GUI widget set, and
> while it might not be the prettiest interface in the world, getting very
> useable forms up and running using sqlite/tk is trivial. </.02$>

   Alternative #3: write your application in python and use the wxPython
widget set. This combination is portable across OSes and uses the native
widgets so the "look and feel" is consistent.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |    The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)    |            Accelerator

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Rob Sciuk wrote:
>
> > Interesting, but I'm wondering why not use the tcl/tk binding to simply
> > generate the forms using the well crafted tcl binding which comes with the
> > SQLite language?  Tcl/TK is a very simple scripting language which is
> > portable to all major platforms, has a very useful GUI widget set, and
> > while it might not be the prettiest interface in the world, getting very
> > useable forms up and running using sqlite/tk is trivial. </.02$>
>
>    Alternative #3: write your application in python and use the wxPython
> widget set. This combination is portable across OSes and uses the native
> widgets so the "look and feel" is consistent.
>
> Rich

Or that ... I imagine that the wxPython combination is more modern
looking, given the native look and feel of the wxWidget set project,
though I've not tried it yet.  Hmmm ... note to self ...

Rob.

Re: SQLite GUI app that offers layouts

Noel Frankinet

> <.02$>
> Interesting, but I'm wondering why not use the tcl/tk binding to simply
> generate the forms using the well crafted tcl binding which comes with the
> SQLite language?  Tcl/TK is a very simple scripting language which is
> portable to all major platforms, has a very useful GUI widget set, and
> while it might not be the prettiest interface in the world, getting very
> useable forms up and running using sqlite/tk is trivial.
> </.02$>

yes, tcl/tk is another option, I used to use it a lot.
However tcl/tk is a little bit fat(6Mb), you need zillion of extension
to get a good looking gui and there is no object support in the core.
Lua is less than 300k, ngui also, so we are not playing in the same
category.

--
Noël Frankinet
Gistek Software SA

Rich Shepard a écrit :

> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Rob Sciuk wrote:
>
>> Interesting, but I'm wondering why not use the tcl/tk binding to simply
>> generate the forms using the well crafted tcl binding which comes
>> with the
>> SQLite language?  Tcl/TK is a very simple scripting language which is
>> portable to all major platforms, has a very useful GUI widget set, and
>> while it might not be the prettiest interface in the world, getting very
>> useable forms up and running using sqlite/tk is trivial. </.02$>
>
>   Alternative #3: write your application in python and use the wxPython
> widget set. This combination is portable across OSes and uses the native
> widgets so the "look and feel" is consistent.
>
> Rich

Alternative #4 : write your application in lua and use IUP widgets set.
This combination is portable across OSes and uses the native
widgets so the "look and feel" is consistent but the size is 10 time
smaller.

--
Noël Frankinet
Gistek Software SA

Re: SQLite GUI app that offers layouts

Rich Shepard
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Rob Sciuk wrote:

> Or that ... I imagine that the wxPython combination is more modern
> looking, given the native look and feel of the wxWidget set project,
> though I've not tried it yet.  Hmmm ... note to self ...

Rob,

   And, ... there's pysqlite2 which is a teriffic implementation of the
python database API.

   I'm using python, wxPython, and pysqlite2 in our approximate reasoning
models. It's a nice system.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |    The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)    |            Accelerator
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax: 503-667-8863

Re: SQLite GUI app that offers layouts

Rob Sciuk
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Rich Shepard wrote:
> Rob,
>
>    And, ... there's pysqlite2 which is a teriffic implementation of the
> python database API.
>
>    I'm using python, wxPython, and pysqlite2 in our approximate reasoning
> models. It's a nice system.
>
> Rich

So many scripting languages, and so little time.  Noel is making a valiant
case for Lua/IUP widgets, though I'm only vaguely aware of that language.
What was that link again?

Commercial success for a scripting language seems to be tied to its
critical mass and *COOL* factor, and how much is being contributed, which
has a tendancy to fade with the NEXT BIG THING (eg: Java ->Ruby/Rails??).

It seems that scripting languages are the new religion (was vi/emacs), and
each seems to have a killer appeal to some.  I was big on Forth many years
ago, and went so far as to write my own portable interpreter for mini's,
but alas, Forth has been relegated to Forth for its own sake amoung some
die-hards rather than for its interesting applications it seems (no flames
please).

I'm surprised that no Ruby/Perl/Rexx/... fanatics have waded in just yet.
Testimony again to the design of SQLite, and its ease of integration is
the fact that it supports just about every language out there.

But, in order to keep this thread on topic, once again, a slavish suckup
to DRH for his remarkable contribution to Open Source -- even to the point
of creating a new class of license.

Thanks, Richard Hipp -- SQLite is a remarkable and useful achievement!!

Rob Sciuk.

Best GUI Toolkit. Was: [sqlite] SQLite GUI app that offers layouts

FWIW, as all these emails were arriving I was busy working
on an application for a customer that consists of 25K+ lines
of Tcl/Tk plus some C extensions.  The whole thing compiles
into a standalone binary that is right at 4MiB.  SQLite is
used as the application file format.  (That is to say, when
you do File/Open to select a file to work on, that file is
really an SQLite database file, even though the end user
doesn't realize it.)  The program features advanced graphics
including interactive 3-D visualization using OpenGL and
the 3D-Canvas extension to Tcl/Tk.  (http://3dcanvas.tcl.tk/)
Runs on Linux and Win32.  I was planning to port to Mac OSX
next week.  (There are some issues getting the 3dcanvas to
work there.)  The GUI has a gray-metal desk look to it, but it
is quite functional and the customer is very pleased.  It
wouldn't take much work to give the GUI more eye-candy, but
as the program is intended for use by a limited set of
engineers within a laboratory environment, that is not a
goal of the project.

If you can tolerate a 4MiB standalone (much smaller if you
don't need all the extensions I'm using) then Tcl/Tk is
an excellent choice.  My code would be much larger and
considerably less functional in wxPython.  I've never used
lua and cannot comment on it.  You should, of course, use
whatever toolkit you are most comfortable with.

--
D. Richard Hipp  <[hidden email]>

Rob Sciuk a écrit :

> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> Rob,
>>
>>    And, ... there's pysqlite2 which is a teriffic implementation of the
>> python database API.
>>
>>    I'm using python, wxPython, and pysqlite2 in our approximate reasoning
>> models. It's a nice system.
>>
>> Rich
>>

> So many scripting languages, and so little time.  Noel is making a valiant
> case for Lua/IUP widgets, though I'm only vaguely aware of that language.
> What was that link again?

htpp://www.lua.org
http://luaforge.net/projects/iup/

thinking about it, storing xml (or generating xml on the fly from a
registered sqlite command) seems better than generating tcl/python/lua
whatever code ? Its also easy to send/receive remotely.
My NGUI controls accept xml directly, so you can feed them from sqlite
without additional step.
Anyway, there's always some tradeoff (size, speed, portability)...

Best wishes.

--
Noël Frankinet
Gistek Software SA

Re: SQLite GUI app that offers layouts

Jaroslaw Staniek-2
T&B said the following, On 2006-10-18 01:47:

> There seem to be several SQLite GUI apps around. But I haven't seen  any
> that offer building of layouts, ie positioning test frames for  fields
> on a page for form data entry or printing. This feature is  typical of
> proprietary apps such as FileMaker, AppleWorks, 4D etc.
>
> Anyone know of a GUI app that offers layouts (ie form creation),
> especially on a Mac (but even other platforms)?
>
> Is there a conventional way to store the layout information in the
> SQLite database itself, so it can be moved from one SQLite GUI app to
> another, and retain compatible forms?

This is one of Kexi features.

http://kexi-project.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kexi

It works on Mac too (installable using Fink).

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek

Re: Re: SQLite GUI app that offers layouts

jreidthompson
Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

> T&B said the following, On 2006-10-18 01:47:
>
>> There seem to be several SQLite GUI apps around. But I haven't seen
>> any that offer building of layouts, ie positioning test frames for
>> fields on a page for form data entry or printing. This feature is
>> typical of proprietary apps such as FileMaker, AppleWorks, 4D etc.
>>
>> Anyone know of a GUI app that offers layouts (ie form creation),
>> especially on a Mac (but even other platforms)?
>>
>> Is there a conventional way to store the layout information in the
>> SQLite database itself, so it can be moved from one SQLite GUI app to
>> another, and retain compatible forms?
>
> This is one of Kexi features.
>
> http://kexi-project.org
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kexi
>
> It works on Mac too (installable using Fink).

you can also see [gnome-db,mergeant] and glom.  Gnome-DB/mergeant
supports sqlite -- I'm not sure about glom.