SQLite Port/ODBC Driver Question

Shukla, Vishal
Hi,
Am trying to open a firewall to the machine having sqlite database. Does the SQLite database use a specific port number ? If not, then does the ODBC connection to SQLite using ODBC driver use a port ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

SQLite ODBC Driver:
http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/sqliteodbc.exe

Regards,
Vishal Shukla

Confidential communication
Westpac Banking Corporation (ABN 33 007 457 141)
Westpac Institutional Bank is a division of Westpac Banking Corporation

Re: SQLite Port/ODBC Driver Question

Rob Willett
Vishal,

SQLite isn't a traditional client/server relational database, therefore
there isn't a port to open up. It runs on a local machine.

Now there are wrappers around SQLite to extend it, I assume this ODBC
driver is one of them.

I suspect people here *may* know the answer regarding any ports the ODBC
driver uses, but you may be better off asking the maintainer of the ODBC
driver.

Rob

On 10 Jul 2017, at 1:31, Shukla, Vishal wrote:

> Hi,
> Am trying to open a firewall to the machine having sqlite database.
> Does the SQLite database use a specific port number ? If not, then
> does the ODBC connection to SQLite using ODBC driver use a port ?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> SQLite ODBC Driver:
> http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/sqliteodbc.exe
>
> Regards,
> Vishal Shukla
>
> Confidential communication
> Westpac Banking Corporation (ABN 33 007 457 141)
> Westpac Institutional Bank is a division of Westpac Banking
> Corporation

Re: SQLite Port/ODBC Driver Question

Igor Korot
Rob,

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 7:06 AM, Rob Willett
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Vishal,
>
> SQLite isn't a traditional client/server relational database, therefore
> there isn't a port to open up. It runs on a local machine.

I believe SQLite can successfully be run remotely.

Thank you.

> Now there are wrappers around SQLite to extend it, I assume this ODBC driver
> is one of them.
>
> I suspect people here *may* know the answer regarding any ports the ODBC
> driver uses, but you may be better off asking the maintainer of the ODBC
> driver.
>
> Rob
>

> On 10 Jul 2017, at 1:31, Shukla, Vishal wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Am trying to open a firewall to the machine having sqlite database. Does
>> the SQLite database use a specific port number ? If not, then does the ODBC
>> connection to SQLite using ODBC driver use a port ?
>>
>> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> SQLite ODBC Driver:
>> http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/sqliteodbc.exe
>>
>> Regards,
>> Vishal Shukla
>>
>> Confidential communication
>> Westpac Banking Corporation (ABN 33 007 457 141)
>> Westpac Institutional Bank is a division of Westpac Banking Corporation

Re: SQLite Port/ODBC Driver Question

Rob Willett
It depends on what you mean remotely.

By itself SQLite doesn't have any networking library built in. It's an
embedded database.

You can put application wrappers around the database, I believe that
wrappers exist to make SQLIte into a true client/server but thats
additional code. Also there is ODBC, but there's nothing (AFAIK) in the
actual codebase itself that allows any remote connectivity.

Clearly you can put Apache/Nginx/PHP/SQlite into a software stack and
make it work, we actually use Nginx/Mojolicious/SQLite as our platform
stack but there's nothing in there that allows any remote access to
SQLite.

If you are talking about hosting the database on a network volume, I
would recommend that you read this

https://sqlite.org/whentouse.html

The very first paragraph states what Sqlite can do. I would also pay
close attention to
"If there are many client programs sending SQL to the same database over
a network, then use a client/server database engine instead of SQLite.
SQLite will work over a network filesystem, but because of the latency
associated with most network filesystems, performance will not be great.
Also, file locking logic is buggy in many network filesystem
implementations (on both Unix and Windows). If file locking does not
work correctly, two or more clients might try to modify the same part of
the same database at the same time, resulting in corruption. Because
this problem results from bugs in the underlying filesystem
implementation, there is nothing SQLite can do to prevent it.

A good rule of thumb is to avoid using SQLite in situations where the
same database will be accessed directly (without an intervening
application server) and simultaneously from many computers over a
network."

Just my 2p worth,

Rob

On 10 Jul 2017, at 14:14, Igor Korot wrote:

> Rob,
>
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 7:06 AM, Rob Willett
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Vishal,
>>
>> SQLite isn't a traditional client/server relational database,
>> therefore
>> there isn't a port to open up. It runs on a local machine.
>
> I believe SQLite can successfully be run remotely.
>
> Thank you.
>

>> Now there are wrappers around SQLite to extend it, I assume this ODBC
>> driver
>> is one of them.
>>
>> I suspect people here *may* know the answer regarding any ports the
>> ODBC
>> driver uses, but you may be better off asking the maintainer of the
>> ODBC
>> driver.
>>
>> Rob
>>

>> On 10 Jul 2017, at 1:31, Shukla, Vishal wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Am trying to open a firewall to the machine having sqlite database.
>>> Does
>>> the SQLite database use a specific port number ? If not, then does
>>> the ODBC
>>> connection to SQLite using ODBC driver use a port ?
>>>
>>> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> SQLite ODBC Driver:
>>> http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/sqliteodbc.exe
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Vishal Shukla
>>>
>>> Confidential communication
>>> Westpac Banking Corporation (ABN 33 007 457 141)
>>> Westpac Institutional Bank is a division of Westpac Banking
>>> Corporation

Re: SQLite Port/ODBC Driver Question

Richard Hipp-3
On 7/10/17, Rob Willett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A good rule of thumb is to avoid using SQLite in situations where the
> same database will be accessed directly (without an intervening
> application server) and simultaneously from many computers over a
> network."

Another way to express this rule-of-thumb:  Move the query to the
data, not the data to the query.

dmp

Re: SQLite Port/ODBC Driver Question

dmp
Hello Vishal,

As far as I know the Java version of the Werner javasqlite
driver does not use a port and the odbc may not also.

I have use this Java driver, but a more current active
driver project for Java is at GitHub:

https://github.com/xerial/sqlite-jdbc/

As indicated SQLite is local file system database. Though
I have tested the sqlite-jdbc driver on Win with a mapped
network drive. The stability of that mode of operation is
questionable, as can be searched on this forum's discussions.

danap.