SQLite Windows GUI alternative to Excel?

Re: SQLite mailing list [was: SQLite Windows GUI alternative to Excel?]

Petite Abeille-2

> On Oct 9, 2018, at 7:19 PM, Warren Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The arguments about mailing lists vs forums have all been had.

It’s not clear why this entire conversation is presented in such stark terms: LIST *OR* FORUM. Puzzling.

If this is all driven by DRH edict that “all things shall run on fossil” , then you know what to do: list2forum + forum2list

There is no problem, if you don’t dogmatically insist on making it one.

dmp

Re: SQLite mailing list [was: SQLite Windows GUI alternative to Excel?]

dmp
>> On Oct 9, 2018, at 7:19 PM, Warren Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The arguments about mailing lists vs forums have all been had.

> It’s not clear why this entire conversation is presented in such stark
terms: LIST
> *OR* FORUM. Puzzling.
>
> If this is all driven by DRH edict that “all things shall run on fossil”
, then you
> know what to do: list2forum + forum2list
>
> There is no problem, if you don’t dogmatically insist on making it one.

Thank you. So far I have seen mostly only one insisted advocate
for a forum with no comment seems from the actually owner of this
list. If the owner wishes to transition to only a forum then please
just state it and get on with it; your idea seems better though.
Maybe then this thread will die.

danap.

Re: SQLite mailing list [was: SQLite Windows GUI alternative to Excel?]

sub sk79
On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 5:18 PM Warren Young <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... The problem is happening because spam gets reflected off this list, so
> people click “This is Spam” in Gmail, which causes Gmail’s spam filters to
> treat all messages on the list as more spammish.  The more that happens,
> the less likely a given SQLite ML message is to get to a Gmail user.
>
> That problem will affect any mail system with centralized spam detection.

You can prevent this by creating a whitelist filter in your gmail
account for sqlite-users mailing list address.

Instructions here:
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-whitelist-a-sender-or-domain-in-gmail-1172106

BTW, I generally prefer mailing-list. But forum has some advantages too. At
the end of the day, I think, it would be best to have both options readily
available as *interfaces* to the sqlite knowledge-base.

Re: SQLite mailing list [was: SQLite Windows GUI alternative to Excel?]

Rowan Worth-2
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 05:18, Warren Young <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That event was the immediate spur to start this Fossil forum project, but
> if you search the archives, there are multiple threads.  Here’s one from
> about a year ago:
>

> http://sqlite.1065341.n5.nabble.com/Many-ML-emails-going-to-GMail-s-SPAM-td98685.html
>
> If you think that thread is about a Gmail-specific problem, you’ve
> misunderstood it.  The problem is happening because spam gets reflected off
> this list, so people click “This is Spam” in Gmail, which causes Gmail’s
> spam filters to treat all messages on the list as more spammish.  The more
> that happens, the less likely a given SQLite ML message is to get to a
> Gmail user.

In my experience with gmail and this list, 99% of the mails dumped in the
spam folder are from yahoo senders with gmail citing something along the
lines of "the sender claims to be from yahoo.com but gmail could not verify
this." I'm guessing this is related to DMARC/SPF or similar anti-spam
mechanisms - a quick search suggests this is a common issue and nothing to
do with mailing lists in particular.

The remaining 1% feature senders from other domains, but otherwise look
similar. I've never seen an actual spam sent via the mailing list, though
about a year ago I did get a few spams in response to mails I sent to the
list.

Anyway my point is I'm not seeing evidence to support the assertion that
gmail treats messages to the list in general as spammish. I'll keep a
closer eye on what's ending up in spam, to double-check whether my
"sender-identity" theory holds, or whether I'm picking up on a pattern
which isn't really there.

-Rowan

Re: SQLite mailing list [was: SQLite Windows GUI alternative to Excel?]

Petite Abeille-2

> On Oct 15, 2018, at 5:36 AM, Rowan Worth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Anyway my point is I'm not seeing evidence to support the assertion that
> gmail treats messages to the list in general as spammish.

Ditto.