SQLite and Perl

Bill McCormick-4
I need to get going with Perl & SQLite and I'm wondering what I need to
get off CPAN, if anything.

Here's what I think I have now:

root@fiberio:/etc/cron.daily# locate perl | grep SQLite
/usr/share/perl/5.10.1/CPANPLUS/Internals/Source/SQLite
/usr/share/perl/5.10.1/CPANPLUS/Internals/Source/SQLite.pm
/usr/share/perl/5.10.1/CPANPLUS/Internals/Source/SQLite/Tie.pm

Since it's been awhile since I've done anything with Perl, is there some
gettin' goin' guide?

Thanks!!!

Re: SQLite and Perl

Puneet Kishor-2

On Jan 26, 2012, at 11:59 AM, Bill McCormick wrote:

> I need to get going with Perl & SQLite and I'm wondering what I need to get off CPAN, if anything.

$ cpanm DBD::SQLite

there is no step two

> Here's what I think I have now:
>
> root@fiberio:/etc/cron.daily# locate perl | grep SQLite
> /usr/share/perl/5.10.1/CPANPLUS/Internals/Source/SQLite
> /usr/share/perl/5.10.1/CPANPLUS/Internals/Source/SQLite.pm
> /usr/share/perl/5.10.1/CPANPLUS/Internals/Source/SQLite/Tie.pm
>
> Since it's been awhile since I've done anything with Perl, is there some gettin' goin' guide?
>

> Thanks!!!

Re: SQLite and Perl

Bill McCormick-4
Puneet Kishor wrote, On 1/26/2012 12:02 PM:
> On Jan 26, 2012, at 11:59 AM, Bill McCormick wrote:
>
>> I need to get going with Perl&  SQLite and I'm wondering what I need to get off CPAN, if anything.
>

> $ cpanm DBD::SQLite
>
> there is no step two

Actually, that's not correct. In my case it took the following:
Step 1: cpan DBI
Step 2: cpan DBD:SQLite

What is cpanm? A typo?

Re: SQLite and Perl

Puneet Kishor-2

On Jan 26, 2012, at 2:53 PM, Bill McCormick wrote:

> Puneet Kishor wrote, On 1/26/2012 12:02 PM:
>> On Jan 26, 2012, at 11:59 AM, Bill McCormick wrote:
>>
>>> I need to get going with Perl&  SQLite and I'm wondering what I need to get off CPAN, if anything.
>>

>> $ cpanm DBD::SQLite
>>
>> there is no step two
>>
> Actually, that's not correct. In my case it took the following:
> Step 1: cpan DBI
> Step 2: cpan DBD:SQLite
>
> What is cpanm? A typo?

http://search.cpan.org/~miyagawa/App-cpanminus-1.5007/lib/App/cpanminus.pm

yes, I kinda assumed that you had DBI already... so, indeed, install DBI, then install DBD::SQLite. That is all.

--
Puneet Kishor

Re: SQLite and Perl

Bill McCormick-4
Puneet Kishor wrote, On 1/26/2012 3:01 PM:

> On Jan 26, 2012, at 2:53 PM, Bill McCormick wrote:
>
>> Puneet Kishor wrote, On 1/26/2012 12:02 PM:

>>> $ cpanm DBD::SQLite
>>>
>>> there is no step two
>>>
>> Actually, that's not correct. In my case it took the following:
>> Step 1: cpan DBI
>> Step 2: cpan DBD:SQLite
>>
>> What is cpanm? A typo?
>>
> http://search.cpan.org/~miyagawa/App-cpanminus-1.5007/lib/App/cpanminus.pm

Just curious, how is cpanm module different than cpan module?

Re: SQLite and Perl

Darren Duncan
Puneet Kishor wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2012, at 2:53 PM, Bill McCormick wrote:
>
>> Puneet Kishor wrote, On 1/26/2012 12:02 PM:
>>> $ cpanm DBD::SQLite
>>>
>>> there is no step two
>>>
>> Actually, that's not correct. In my case it took the following:
>> Step 1: cpan DBI
>> Step 2: cpan DBD:SQLite
>>
>> What is cpanm? A typo?
>>

> http://search.cpan.org/~miyagawa/App-cpanminus-1.5007/lib/App/cpanminus.pm
>
> yes, I kinda assumed that you had DBI already... so, indeed, install DBI, then install DBD::SQLite. That is all.

DBI is a declared dependency of DBD::SQLite, so I'd expect the simple "cpan
DBD::SQLite", or cpanm or cpanplus, to also install DBI if you don't have it.
That's one of the reasons you use those CPAN clients, to effortlessly pull in
dependencies too, essentially like package managers.

Also, cpan and cpanplus are bundled with Perl 5.10.1, but cpanm you have to
install separately.

-- Darren Duncan

Re: SQLite and Perl

Bill McCormick-4
Darren Duncan wrote, On 1/27/2012 1:41 AM:

> Puneet Kishor wrote:

>>> Actually, that's not correct. In my case it took the following:
>>> Step 1: cpan DBI
>>> Step 2: cpan DBD:SQLite
>>>
>>> What is cpanm? A typo?
>>>

>> http://search.cpan.org/~miyagawa/App-cpanminus-1.5007/lib/App/cpanminus.pm
>>

>> yes, I kinda assumed that you had DBI already... so, indeed, install
>> DBI, then install DBD::SQLite. That is all.
>
> DBI is a declared dependency of DBD::SQLite, so I'd expect the simple
> "cpan DBD::SQLite", or cpanm or cpanplus, to also install DBI if you
> don't have it. That's one of the reasons you use those CPAN clients,
> to effortlessly pull in dependencies too, essentially like package
> managers.
Well, it didn't. I needed to install the DBI module and then re-install
the DBD::SQLite mod.