SQLite server for Windows/Linux?

Gilles Ganault-3
Hello

I know that SQLite is meant as a server-less, file server-based
solution, but... since Richard Hipp has also written a single-EXE SCM
solution (www.fossil-scm.org), I wanted to check if someone had
recently written a similar solution so that SQLite can be used as a
light, no-brainer DB server?

SQLite is such a pleasure to use in single-mode that it's too bad  it
can't be used for moderate use, ie. to share data among 3-4 clients.

Thank you.

Re: SQLite server for Windows/Linux?

Roger Binns
Gilles Ganault wrote:
> I wanted to check if someone had
> recently written a similar solution so that SQLite can be used as a
> light, no-brainer DB server?

The problem is that the moment you have a network accessible service you
have to deal with administration.  Things like authentication, security,
log files etc.  Then you have to specify a protocol of some sort and as
you update it over time have to deal with client and server versioning.
 Some people have made networkable variants of SQLite and you'll have
all these issues with them.  At that point you may as well use MySQL,
Postgres or plain ODBC and not worry about the backend.

> SQLite is such a pleasure to use in single-mode that it's too bad  it
> can't be used for moderate use, ie. to share data among 3-4 clients.

Just to be clear SQLite can trivially handle that sort of workload.  It
just can't be done reliably using a network share due to bugs in the
protocols and implementations of network file sharing.

If you are looking for an alternative then I'd suggest couchdb.  It is
designed for replication from the ground up and you get offline mode for
free.  It is document oriented rather than relation oriented like SQL
but for many that is an advantage :-)

Roger

Re: SQLite server for Windows/Linux?

Gilles Ganault-3
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 03:25:45 -0700, Roger Binns
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>The problem is that the moment you have a network accessible service you
>have to deal with administration.  Things like authentication, security,
>log files etc.

In the absolute, yes, but not if SQLite is to be used in a firewalled
LAN just to share data between a couple of hosts. Currently, the only
way to do this is to share the file with CIFS/Samba, while a simple
EXE could handle concurrency without the headaches of CIFS.

>If you are looking for an alternative then I'd suggest couchdb.  It is
>designed for replication from the ground up and you get offline mode for
>free.  It is document oriented rather than relation oriented like SQL
>but for many that is an advantage :-)

Thanks for the tip, but CouchDB is not an SQL server:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CouchDB

I for one would be very willing to pay for an SQLite server that would
run on Windows and Linux/FreeBSD.

Re: SQLite server for Windows/Linux?

Griggs, Donald-3
Gilles,

I know almost nothing about them, but the following may possibly be of
interest:

http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/

http://www.it77.de/sqlite/sqlite.htm

http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=ClientServer

Donald

Re: SQLite server for Windows/Linux?

Gilles Ganault-3
Thanks for the links

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 08:48:53 -0400, "Griggs, Donald"
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>I know almost nothing about them, but the following may possibly be of
>interest:
>
>http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/

This one looks quite a bit big for my needs :-/

>http://www.it77.de/sqlite/sqlite.htm

"28.05.2004". As it is for professional applications, I need something
supported and under development

>http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=ClientServer
"06.12.2004".

Maybe someone will come up with a commercial alternative. I for one
would gladly pay for a single-EXE, no-brainer solution that can run on
Windows and *nix.

Thanks.

Re: SQLite server for Windows/Linux?

Olaf Schmidt

"Gilles Ganault" <[hidden email]> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:[hidden email]...

> Maybe someone will come up with a commercial alternative.
> I for one would gladly pay for a single-EXE, no-brainer solution
> that can run on Windows and *nix.

Hmm in this case, what about:
http://www.realsoftware.com/realsqlserver/

But then it depends on your used (preferred) "client-access-
technology" (how easy you can bind it into your client-app).

On the above site they state, that its usage from the clientside is
possible either over a C/C++ SDK - or directly over RealBasic-
SQLite-bindings (dunno if they also deliver an ODBC-driver for
their Server, to access it over a "standard-interface" from other
languages too).

So, on what platform(s) do your client-apps need to work?
In what (main)language do you develop your client-app?

Olaf

Re: SQLite server for Windows/Linux?

Gilles Ganault-3
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 00:38:20 +0200, "Olaf Schmidt"
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>Hmm in this case, what about:
>http://www.realsoftware.com/realsqlserver/

Thanks much for the tip :) I'll give it a shot.

>So, on what platform(s) do your client-apps need to work?
>In what (main)language do you develop your client-app?

Either Python or Delphi. Hopefully, they have connectors for those
languages.

Thanks again.

Re: SQLite server for Windows/Linux?

David Morris
Have a peek at : http://www.sqlitening.com/support/index.php
Different language and could run under Wine on *nix

Olaf Schmidt wrote
"Gilles Ganault" <gilles.ganault@free.fr> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:10h3e55s5ml6kto9rkvasvv1ejc0ao2jdi@4ax.com...

> Maybe someone will come up with a commercial alternative.
> I for one would gladly pay for a single-EXE, no-brainer solution
> that can run on Windows and *nix.

Hmm in this case, what about:
http://www.realsoftware.com/realsqlserver/

But then it depends on your used (preferred) "client-access-
technology" (how easy you can bind it into your client-app).

On the above site they state, that its usage from the clientside is
possible either over a C/C++ SDK - or directly over RealBasic-
SQLite-bindings (dunno if they also deliver an ODBC-driver for
their Server, to access it over a "standard-interface" from other
languages too).

So, on what platform(s) do your client-apps need to work?
In what (main)language do you develop your client-app?

Olaf

Re: SQLite server for Windows/Linux?

George Black

did you try www.SQLitening.com

Gilles Ganault-3 wrote
Hello

I know that SQLite is meant as a server-less, file server-based
solution, but... since Richard Hipp has also written a single-EXE SCM
solution (www.fossil-scm.org), I wanted to check if someone had
recently written a similar solution so that SQLite can be used as a
light, no-brainer DB server?

SQLite is such a pleasure to use in single-mode that it's too bad  it
can't be used for moderate use, ie. to share data among 3-4 clients.

Thank you.

Re: SQLite server for Windows/Linux?

Olaf Schmidt

"David Morris" <[hidden email]> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:[hidden email]...

> Have a peek at : http://www.sqlitening.com/support/index.php
> Different language and could run under Wine on *nix

Ah - yes of course, I left it out here, since it currently is "win only"
(written in PowerBasic). Already played around with it some months
ago - not bad. And IIRC, there was also a C-port planned regarding
the sources - which would allow to compile and run it natively
on more target-platforms.

But yes, the Wine-Layer runs very well these days, especially
if only service-like apps are hosted (with a minimal GUI). The
translation of the winsock-api into the *nix-socket-stack works
very reliable over long uptime-periods, as well as the mappings
and translations into the *nix-filesystems (and all that with much
better performance, compared with VM-based approaches ...
which would also require appropriate Win-OS-licenses per VM).

So, hosting such "IO-related services", originally developed for
win (mainly because "also the clientside has to run on that platform")
on *nix-servers (with a little help of the wine-layer) is now possible
without much hazzle - we do it this way for a few years now,
running our win-compiled service-binaries/layers on debian/wine-
machines.

Olaf

Re: SQLite server for Windows/Linux?

Gilles Ganault-3
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 17:37:31 -0700 (PDT), David Morris
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>Have a peek at : http://www.sqlitening.com/support/index.php
>Different language and could run under Wine on *nix

Thanks for the pointer. I didn't know SQLitening.

Re: SQLite server for Windows/Linux?

Gilles Ganault-3
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 02:57:52 -0700 (PDT), George Black
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>did you try www.SQLitening.com

David Morris just sent a pointer above. Thanks much for the info.

Re: SQLite server for Windows/Linux?

jreidthompson
On Sat, 2009-10-24 at 16:33 +0200, Gilles Ganault wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 00:38:20 +0200, "Olaf Schmidt"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >Hmm in this case, what about:
> >http://www.realsoftware.com/realsqlserver/
>
> Thanks much for the tip :) I'll give it a shot.
>
> >So, on what platform(s) do your client-apps need to work?
> >In what (main)language do you develop your client-app?
>
> Either Python or Delphi. Hopefully, they have connectors for those
> languages.
>
> Thanks again.

Re: SQLite server for Windows/Linux?

Gilles Ganault-3
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:10:05 -0400, Reid Thompson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>may be of interest
>http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to support Windows
yet.