SQLite version 3.8.6 coming soon

Richard Hipp-3
Version 3.8.6 was originally scheduled for September.  But the change log (
http://www.sqlite.org/draft/releaselog/current.html) is getting rather long
and there are a number of important bug fixes.  So we might try to get
3.8.6 out the door sooner rather than later.

Please test!  Recent amalgamations are available on the download page (
http://www.sqlite.org/download.html).  Please compile your applications use
the latest tip of trunk and let us know if you encounter any problems.

Please review the change log and speak up if you see anything amiss.

The status board (http://www.sqlite.org/checklists/3080600/index) for the
3.8.6 release is now on-line.  The usual rule applies:  When the check-list
goes all-green, we will cut the release.  No check-list items have been
marked off yet, but we might start marking them off later this week, or
early next week.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Re: SQLite version 3.8.6 coming soon

jose isaias cabrera

"Richard Hipp" wrote...

> Version 3.8.6 was originally scheduled for September.  But the change log
> (
> http://www.sqlite.org/draft/releaselog/current.html) is getting rather
> long
> and there are a number of important bug fixes.  So we might try to get
> 3.8.6 out the door sooner rather than later.
>
> Please test!  Recent amalgamations are available on the download page (
> http://www.sqlite.org/download.html).  Please compile your applications
> use
> the latest tip of trunk and let us know if you encounter any problems.
>
> Please review the change log and speak up if you see anything amiss.
>
> The status board (http://www.sqlite.org/checklists/3080600/index) for the
> 3.8.6 release is now on-line.  The usual rule applies:  When the
> check-list
> goes all-green, we will cut the release.  No check-list items have been
> marked off yet, but we might start marking them off later this week, or
> early next week.
>
> Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Are you planning in creating temporary binaries for Windows?  I use the DLLs
for our application.

Re: SQLite version 3.8.6 coming soon

Dominique Devienne
On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 2:57 AM, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please review the change log and speak up if you see anything amiss.

The new doc mentioned by http://www.sqlite.org/draft/lang_expr.html#hexint
may have a 1-char typo:

    However, for backwards compatibility, the "Ox" hexadecimal integer
notation

notice the "Ox" (capital letter o), instead of "0x" (zero digit). Confused
me on the first read. Hope this helps. --DD

PS: backward compatibility, no s, no?

Re: SQLite version 3.8.6 coming soon

Tony Papadimitriou
src/func.c: The comment on top refers to sqliteRegisterBuildinFunctions()
but the actual call seems to have been renamed to
sqliteRegisterGlobalFunctions()

Re: [sqlite-dev] SQLite version 3.8.6 coming soon

Bert Huijben

"Richard Hipp" wrote...

> Version 3.8.6 was originally scheduled for September.  But the change log
> (
> http://www.sqlite.org/draft/releaselog/current.html) is getting rather
> long
> and there are a number of important bug fixes.  So we might try to get
> 3.8.6 out the door sooner rather than later.
>
> Please test!  Recent amalgamations are available on the download page (
> http://www.sqlite.org/download.html).  Please compile your applications
> use
> the latest tip of trunk and let us know if you encounter any problems.
>
> Please review the change log and speak up if you see anything amiss.
>
> The status board (http://www.sqlite.org/checklists/3080600/index) for the
> 3.8.6 release is now on-line.  The usual rule applies:  When the
> check-list
> goes all-green, we will cut the release.  No check-list items have been
> marked off yet, but we might start marking them off later this week, or
> early next week.
>
> Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

The new wrapping of InterlockedCompareExchange introduced in 3.8.6 breaks compilation in Visual C++ 2013 (and the "14" CTPs) for X86 and X64, as this function is implemented as an intrinsic in these compilers.

When linking the amalgamation to a program I get a linker error:
sqlite3.lib(sqlite3.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __InterlockedCompareExchange

In the newer SDK versions used by this compiler there is a:
#define InterlockedCompareExchange          _InterlockedCompareExchange
(via winbase.h)

Which triggers the use of the intrinsic. (Older versions of the compiler appear to have the intrinsic, but by default their SDKs don't use it)

As I assume this is required for the testing framework, an easy fix might be to just undefine 'InterlockedCompareExchange'.
(I haven't tested this myself yet)

        Bert

Re: SQLite version 3.8.6 coming soon

Andy Ling

The amalgamation I've just downloaded (201408060029) doesn't appear to have the changes
I did with Jan to make it compile under vxWorks.

Regards

Andy Ling

Re: SQLite version 3.8.6 coming soon

Tony Papadimitriou
Unless I'm misusing it, I believe the shell readfile() function reads a file
as text, not binary.  I haven't checked writefile() for the same problem on
writing.

This is how I use it, is this not correct?

create table t1(a blob);
insert into  t1 values(readfile('binfile'));
select * from t1;

I always see text and I expect to see one of the following cases:
1. a hex sequence regardless of file type
2. text (if the file was text), or a hex sequence if it was binary.

Instead, I see text when dealing with text files, and truncated text (up to
the first zero) when dealing with binary.

Am I misusing it?

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 6:34 AM, Tony Papadimitriou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unless I'm misusing it, I believe the shell readfile() function reads a
> file as text, not binary.  I haven't checked writefile() for the same
> problem on writing.
>
> This is how I use it, is this not correct?
>
> create table t1(a blob);
> insert into  t1 values(readfile('binfile'));
> select * from t1;
>
> I always see text and I expect to see one of the following cases:
> 1. a hex sequence regardless of file type
> 2. text (if the file was text), or a hex sequence if it was binary.
>
> Instead, I see text when dealing with text files, and truncated text (up
> to the first zero) when dealing with binary.
>
> Am I misusing it?

To see hex output, use

    SELECT quote(a) FROM t1;

The shell always prints BLOBs as just the bytes within the blob, not
translated to hex.  It has always done this.  For 14 years.  Example:

    CREATE TABLE t1(a BLOB);
    INSERT INTO t1(a) VALUES(x'78797a7a79');
    SELECT a FROM t1;

The above prints: xyzzy

Re: SQLite version 3.8.6 coming soon

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 3:26 AM, Dominique Devienne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> PS: backward compatibility, no s, no?

A google search shows that you see it both ways - with and without the
"s".  I've always used the "s".

Re: SQLite version 3.8.6 coming soon

32-bit and 64-bit DLLs are the latest 3.8.6 beta are now available on the
download page.  http://www.sqlite.org/download.html

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 11:11 PM, jose isaias cabrera <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Richard Hipp" wrote...
>

>  Version 3.8.6 was originally scheduled for September.  But the change log
>> (
>> http://www.sqlite.org/draft/releaselog/current.html) is getting rather
>> long
>> and there are a number of important bug fixes.  So we might try to get
>> 3.8.6 out the door sooner rather than later.
>>
>> Please test!  Recent amalgamations are available on the download page (
>> http://www.sqlite.org/download.html).  Please compile your applications
>> use
>> the latest tip of trunk and let us know if you encounter any problems.
>>
>> Please review the change log and speak up if you see anything amiss.
>>
>> The status board (http://www.sqlite.org/checklists/3080600/index) for the
>> 3.8.6 release is now on-line.  The usual rule applies:  When the
>> check-list
>> goes all-green, we will cut the release.  No check-list items have been
>> marked off yet, but we might start marking them off later this week, or
>> early next week.
>>
>> Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
>>

> Are you planning in creating temporary binaries for Windows?  I use the
> DLLs for our application.

Re: SQLite version 3.8.6 coming soon

jose isaias cabrera

"Richard Hipp" wrote...

> 32-bit and 64-bit DLLs are the latest 3.8.6 beta are now available on the
> download page.  http://www.sqlite.org/download.html

Thank you very much, Dr. Hipp.

josé

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 11:11 PM, jose isaias cabrera <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> "Richard Hipp" wrote...
>>

>>  Version 3.8.6 was originally scheduled for September.  But the change
>> log
>>> (
>>> http://www.sqlite.org/draft/releaselog/current.html) is getting rather
>>> long
>>> and there are a number of important bug fixes.  So we might try to get
>>> 3.8.6 out the door sooner rather than later.
>>>
>>> Please test!  Recent amalgamations are available on the download page (
>>> http://www.sqlite.org/download.html).  Please compile your applications
>>> use
>>> the latest tip of trunk and let us know if you encounter any problems.
>>>
>>> Please review the change log and speak up if you see anything amiss.
>>>
>>> The status board (http://www.sqlite.org/checklists/3080600/index) for
>>> the
>>> 3.8.6 release is now on-line.  The usual rule applies:  When the
>>> check-list
>>> goes all-green, we will cut the release.  No check-list items have been
>>> marked off yet, but we might start marking them off later this week, or
>>> early next week.
>>>
>>> Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
>>>

>> Are you planning in creating temporary binaries for Windows?  I use the
>> DLLs for our application.

> D. Richard Hipp

Re: SQLite version 3.8.6 coming soon

big stone
Hello Sqlite team,

My specific need relies on a rather complex combination of "in", and with
the new beta I go from 50 seconds down to 10 seconds.
(a 5x improvement)

==> Is that sort of gain possible with the recent "in" omtimisation, or
shall look deeper if result is still right ?

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 5:35 PM, big stone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Sqlite team,
>
> My specific need relies on a rather complex combination of "in", and with
> the new beta I go from 50 seconds down to 10 seconds.
> (a 5x improvement)
>
> ==> Is that sort of gain possible with the recent "in" omtimisation,

Yes.

> or  shall look deeper if result is still right ?

Yes.  That is the purpose of beta testing, after all.  We may have
overlooked something.

Re: SQLite version 3.8.6 coming soon

James K. Lowden
On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 07:40:43 -0400
Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > PS: backward compatibility, no s, no?
> >

> A google search shows that you see it both ways - with and without the
> "s".  I've always used the "s".

http://www.perfectyourenglish.com/vocabulary/backward-backwards.htm

Two countries divided by a common tongue.

--jkl

Re: SQLite version 3.8.6 coming soon

Richard Hipp-3
On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 8:33 PM, James K. Lowden <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 07:40:43 -0400
> Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > > PS: backward compatibility, no s, no?
> > >

> > A google search shows that you see it both ways - with and without the
> > "s".  I've always used the "s".
>
> http://www.perfectyourenglish.com/vocabulary/backward-backwards.htm
>
> Two countries divided by a common tongue.

Except, I speak Southern English, not British English. And I can promise
you that we southerners prefer to add the "s" to the end of "backwards".
I'm not sure PerfectYourEnglish necessarily has all their facts straight.

Re: SQLite version 3.8.6 coming soon

Scott Robison-2
On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 6:56 PM, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 8:33 PM, James K. Lowden <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> > > A google search shows that you see it both ways - with and without the
> > > "s".  I've always used the "s".
> >
> > http://www.perfectyourenglish.com/vocabulary/backward-backwards.htm
> >
> > Two countries divided by a common tongue.
> >

> Except, I speak Southern English, not British English. And I can promise
> you that we southerners prefer to add the "s" to the end of "backwards".
> I'm not sure PerfectYourEnglish necessarily has all their facts straight.

While it is debatable as to whether Texas is part of the south, I too used
backwards until an old retired school teacher, who was substituting one
day, scared me out of using it anymore.

--
Scott Robison

Re: SQLite version 3.8.6 coming soon

Will Parsons
Richard Hipp wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 8:33 PM, James K. Lowden <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> > A google search shows that you see it both ways - with and without the
>> > "s".  I've always used the "s".
>>
>> http://www.perfectyourenglish.com/vocabulary/backward-backwards.htm
>>
>> Two countries divided by a common tongue.
>>

> Except, I speak Southern English, not British English. And I can promise
> you that we southerners prefer to add the "s" to the end of "backwards".
> I'm not sure PerfectYourEnglish necessarily has all their facts straight.

Agreed.  I speak North-Eastern English, and "backwards compatibility"
sounds right to me.  One shouldn't necessarily believe everything one
reads on the internet (or, as it used to be, "in books").

--
Will

Re: SQLite version 3.8.6 coming soon

big stone
ok,

output comparison

Size is different :
- before            28 488 559
- now with beta 28 711 111
==> delta = 222 552  ... which is my number of ouput lines

The change in Newline Output policy (from CR to CR+LF) did generate a
suspens.
WinMerge says output is identical otherwise.

So my 5x improvement seems not the result of a bug.

I'm eager to see the speed-up that will show-up in your more general tests,
section 26. of  http://www.sqlite.org/checklists/3080600/index

Re: SQLite version 3.8.6 coming soon

E.Pasma
Op 6 aug 2014, om 02:57 heeft Richard Hipp het volgende geschreven:

> Version 3.8.6 was originally scheduled for September.  But the
> change log (
> http://www.sqlite.org/draft/releaselog/current.html) is getting
> rather long
> and there are a number of important bug fixes.  So we might try to get
> 3.8.6 out the door sooner rather than later.
>
> Please test!  Recent amalgamations are available on the download
> page (
> http://www.sqlite.org/download.html).  Please compile your
> applications use
> the latest tip of trunk and let us know if you encounter any problems.
>
> Please review the change log and speak up if you see anything amiss.
>
> The status board (http://www.sqlite.org/checklists/3080600/index)
> for the
> 3.8.6 release is now on-line.  The usual rule applies:  When the
> check-list
> goes all-green, we will cut the release.  No check-list items have
> been
> marked off yet, but we might start marking them off later this week,
> or
> early next week.
>
> Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> D. Richard Hipp
> [hidden email]

Hello, I have a case where a primary key index is no longer used where
it was used before. Below is a script to reproduce this and the ourput
in the new and old SQLite versions respectively. Tthis is a minimal
case, leaving out anything further makes the problem disappear. Thus
it is strange that:
- the problem starts occuring only wher GROUP BY is present
- the problem occurs only when there are at least two joins
- idem only when the join condition involves BETWEEN
Hope that this contributes to the final release.
Thanks, E.Pasma

.version
CREATE TABLE node (node INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
         minchild INTEGER,
         maxchild INTEGER,
         status CHAR NOT NULL)
;
explain query plan
SELECT  s2.status
FROM    node s0
JOIN    node s1 ON s1.node BETWEEN s0.minchild AND s0.maxchild
JOIN    node s2 ON s2.node BETWEEN s1.minchild AND s1.maxchild
WHERE   s0.node = 0 --root node
GROUP BY s2.status
;

SQLite 3.8.6 2014-08-06 14:36:53
1202e9771f6d699dbf5268368108a3527d06d799
0|0|0|SEARCH TABLE node AS s0 USING INTEGER PRIMARY KEY (rowid=?)
0|1|1|SCAN TABLE node AS s1
0|2|2|SEARCH TABLE node AS s2 USING INTEGER PRIMARY KEY (rowid>? AND
rowid<?)
0|0|0|USE TEMP B-TREE FOR GROUP BY

SQLite 3.8.5 2014-06-02 11:26:33
9f18b303cd1bc5779d82669884f802c7889b4947
0|0|0|SEARCH TABLE node AS s0 USING INTEGER PRIMARY KEY (rowid=?)
0|1|1|SEARCH TABLE node AS s1 USING INTEGER PRIMARY KEY (rowid>? AND
rowid<?)
0|2|2|SEARCH TABLE node AS s2 USING INTEGER PRIMARY KEY (rowid>? AND
rowid<?)
0|0|0|USE TEMP B-TREE FOR GROUP BY

Re: SQLite version 3.8.6 coming soon

jose isaias cabrera
"Richard Hipp" wrote...

> 32-bit and 64-bit DLLs are the latest 3.8.6 beta are now available on the
> download page.  http://www.sqlite.org/download.html

All works great.  No visible speed increase for WHERE .. IN () as reported
by someone, but nonetheless, all is well.  Thanks.